1. The Scottish Rugby Union (“Scottish Rugby”) acknowledges that it is obliged to comply with those Regulations Relating to the Game issued from time to time by the International Rugby Board (iRB).
2. Scottish Rugby recognises that the iRB has issued a specific Regulation in respect of the Organisation of International Matches; International Tournaments; International Tours (iRB Regulation 16). The Scottish Rugby Board (the “Board”) has adopted iRB Regulation 16 within Scottish Rugby’s own domestic regulations.
3. The Domestic Regulation set out below relates to the approval of matches and permission to tour within Scottish Rugby’s area of jurisdiction. All those within Scottish Rugby’s jurisdiction are required to comply with this Regulation.
Approval of Matches
4. No rugby football match or tournament, including in relation to any iRB recognised variation of the game, shall take place within Scotland without the approval of the Board. The Board shall have an absolute right to refuse permission in respect of any match or tournament.
5. Unless otherwise revoked by the Board, approval is hereby granted in respect of any match during the Season which:
5.1 Is subject to the National Competition Rules and the date and time of which has been determined and notified in accordance with those Rules by the Championship Secretary; or
5.2 Has been arranged between two or more member clubs and does not conflict with a match within a National Competition approved under 5.1 above.
Approval of Matches in Close Time
6. No match or tournament (including seven-a-side tournaments) shall take place within Scotland during Close Time without the prior written approval of the Board.
7. The Board may consider applications for the approval of matches / tournaments during Close Time. In granting any such approval the Board shall be entitled to impose such conditions as it deems to be appropriate on a case by case basis.
8. Where any such approval has been granted by the Board for three consecutive years, deemed approval may be assumed for the match or event to take place on the same terms, and on a similar date, in future years. The Board reserves the right to revoke any such deemed approval without prior notice.
9. For the avoidance of doubt the Board shall have the absolute right to refuse permission to play in Close Time.
Approval of Overseas Tour
10. No member club/affiliated school may arrange or fulfil a Tour outwith Scotland without:
(a) Obtaining prior written approval from both the Board and the Union(s) being visited;
(b) Arranging such travel, medical and other insurance as may be appropriate (and demonstrating the same where requested by Scottish Rugby);
(c) In the case of age-grade teams, ascertaining the age banding regulations and law variations applicable in the jurisdiction being visited and obtaining written confirmation from Scottish Rugby that participation under these regulations / laws is acceptable to the Board; and
(d) Complying with any other conditions or requirements as the Board may impose.
11. For the avoidance of doubt the Board shall have the absolute right to refuse permission to Tour.
Permission for Incoming Tours
12. No member club/affiliated school may arrange or fulfil a match/tournament involving an incoming team without written evidence from the touring team’s Union that it has been granted permission to Tour, and ensuring that such permission has been countersigned by Scottish Rugby on behalf of the Board.
13. It shall be a precondition of the Board granting permission for the tour that the host club / school has and, where requested by Scottish Rugby, is able to evidence that it has:
(a) Ascertained that the visiting team has such travel, health and other insurance as may be appropriate;
(b) In the case of age-grade teams, it has provided the visiting team with a copy of Scottish Rugby age banding and age related law variations and has obtained the visiting teams written agreement to abide by the same for the duration of their tour to Scotland; and
(d) Complied with any conditions or requirements the Board may have set out in granting permission for the incoming Tour.
14. For the avoidance of doubt the Board shall have the right to refuse permission to host any incoming Tour.
15. It shall be an offence subject to potential misconduct proceedings to participate or to encourage others to participate in:
15.1 An unauthorised match or tournament in Scotland during Close Time;
15.2 A Tour outwith Scotland for which permission has not been granted or, where granted, any condition attached to the approval has not been fulfilled;
15.3 Hosting a Tour to Scotland for which permission has not been granted or, where granted, any condition attached to the approval has not been fulfilled;
15.4 To make misleading or false statements in relation to any application to play in Close Time, or permission to Tour or to host an incoming Tour.
16. Any disciplinary procedures arising under the Regulation shall be conducted in accordance with the Misconduct procedures set out within Scottish Rugby’s Rules for Disciplinary Procedures.