FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 3

FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 3

Round 3 of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship got underway this weekend. Here's how each game went.

Friday 19 August: Stirling County v Southern Knights 

It was an edgy opening 25 minutes at Bridgehaugh as both teams went in search of their first win of the season.

The game burst into life in the 27th minute as Stirling Wolves captain Marcus Holden kicked the hosts ahead from a penalty, following on from a scrum collapse.

The visitors responded almost immediately. Ferguson worked the ball well to Scott who crossed the line for the first try of the evening. Colvine’s resulting conversion was good.

Things went from bad to worse for Wolves as Alex Thom seen yellow for a challenge in the air on his opponent in the 33rd minute.

Southern Knights work the penalty well, seeing them gain their second try of the evening through Crawford. Colvine is again successful from the kick.

On the stroke of half time, Knights are awarded another penalty, with Colvine making it three from three from the boot.

HALF-TIME: Stirling Wolves 3-17 Southern Knights

The first points of the second half came courtesy of Colvine again, his successful penalty conversion giving the visitors a 17 point lead.

Stirling Wolves were piling on the pressure to find a response but the Knights defence stood firm.

Colvine’s game came to an end when he saw yellow in the 70th minute, with Wolves awarded a penalty deep into the Knights’ 22. However, Wolves couldn’t capitalise as the Knights defence stayed strong.

Southern Knights were reduced to 13 in the 76th minute. Wara awarded a yellow card for a deliberate knock on as the hosts were piling sustained pressure.

FULL-TIME: Stirling Wolves 3-20 Southern Knights

Referee: David Sutherland

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Robbie Chalmers (Southern Knights)

Southern Knights: Cameron Scott, Douglas Crawford

Southern Knights: David Colvine (2)

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden

Saturday 20 August: Ayrshire Bulls v Boroughmuir Bears

The second game of round three of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship kicked off at Millbrae on Saturday afternoon where a dominant Ayrshire Bulls came out on top against Boroughmuir Bears 49-7.

The Bulls wasted no time in getting the show on the road. Using an awarded advantage, the team got the ball out wide to winger Elias Caven who sprinted over the line. The conversion was made by no.10 Richie Simpson, bringing Ayrshire Bulls to 7-0.

It was no stopping the Bulls as captain Blair MacPherson used his strength to get the home team their second try under 10 minutes. Richie Simpson’s golden boot kicked the ball right over the posts, giving Ayrshire Bulls a comfortable lead of 14-0.

After some wonderful footwork and rocket sprinting from Ayrshire Bulls no. 10 Richie Simpson, Elias Caven picked up the ball and scored his second try of the match. Another successful kick for the young no.10 brought the Bulls up to 21-0.

The Bulls’ centres pulled out all the stops to allow Aaron Tait to get over the line, giving the home team a bonus point try. Extras were made yet again by Richie Simpson giving them a score of 28-0.

Just before the half time whistle, Ayrshire Bulls no. 13 Jamie Shedden put his foot on the gas and was awarded with another try. Richie Simpson had a 100% kicking rate, bringing the score to 35-0 on half time.

Half time: Ayrshire Bulls 35-0 Boroughmuir Bears

The second half was off to a flying start as Elias Caven got a hat trick and another try for the Bulls. Richie Simpson kept up his kicking success with another conversion over the posts.

New faces were brought onto the pitch by the opposition to try and shift the scoreboard.

After a strong and fierce drive from the Bears, no. 18 Marcus Goodwin got over the line to finally give the away team their first well deserved try of the game. Jack Bergin got his shot at the posts and was successful, bringing the score to 42-7.

Ayrshire Bulls’ Liam McNamara pulled a finale to remember by getting his team their 7th try of the game on the 79th minute. William Hunt got the extras on the 80th minute, making the final score 49-7.

Full time: Ayrshire Bulls 49-7 Boroughmuir Bears

Referee: Jonny Perriam

FOSROC Player of the Match: Robert Beattie (Ayrshire Bulls)


Ayrshire Bulls: Elias Caven (3), Blair MacPherson, Aaron Tait, Jamie Shedden, Liam McNamara
Boroughmuir Bears: Marcus Goodwin


Ayrshire Bulls: Richie Simpson (6), William Hunt
Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin

Saturday 20 August: Heriot’s Rugby v Watsonians 

In the first few moments of the game visitors Watsonians opened the scoring when Heriot’s were penalised for an offside offence, centre Lee Miller slotted the penalty with ease.

On the 23rd minute Watsonians were camped out on the try line with Heriot’s defence holding up well. Scrum-half Rory Brand threw a wide and looping pass out from the back of the breakdown to find Lewis Berg who was standing on the touchline and dotted it down in the corner.

Just beyond the half-hour mark Heriot’s got on the scoresheet when stand-off Bruce Houston put in a neat little grubber kick which full-back Dan King found and secured down over the try-line.

Half time: Heriot’s Rugby 5-3 Watsonians

Moments into the second half the hosts took the lead for the first time in the game when number 8 Jack Mann went on a rampaging run down the far side of the pitch. He crossed the whitewash with Houston adding the conversion from the touch line.

Watsonians hit back soon after when winger Lomond MacPherson collected the ball on a beautiful inside line following a line out, he turned on the gas a beat his last two defenders to force his way over the line to make it a one-point game, 12-13.

On the hour mark the visitors started to turn the screw and scored another when Karl Main burst through a gap in the hosts defence and found Jamie Berrisford who went over the line, Miller adding the extra two points on offer.

with only 10minutes left on the clock, Berrisford crossed the line again with a neat step on the try line to beat a Heriot’s defender, Miller added the conversion for good measure.

Full time: Heriot’s Rugby 12-27 Watsonians

Referee: Ian Kenny

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Lewis Berg (Watsonians)

Heriots: Dan King, Jack Mann
Watsonians: Lewis Berg, Lomond MacPherson, Jamie Berrisford (2)

Heriot’s: Bruce Houston
Watsonians: Lee Miller (2)

Watsonians: Lee Miller

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners