Scotland U18 team to face Wales named ahead of Six Nations festival
Scotland U18 continue their preparation for the U18 Men's Six Nations festival by taking on Wales this Sunday at St Helen’s, Swansea (kick off 1pm).
The young side were in action last weekend, winning 56-15 away to Newcastle Falcons Academy U18s at Kingston Park.
Two Scotland U18 sides, split into “Reds” and “Blues”, took on two Wales U18 sides at DAM Health Stadium on Sunday 4 March.
Players were selected for those squads based on performances in the U18 Intercity Derby, the four regional academy sides and their school/club sides.
Scotland will then travel to Dublin next month to take part in the U18 Six Nations Festival, with more details to be confirmed soon.
Several of last year’s Scotland U18s squad went on to feature in the 2022 FOSROC Super6 and are currently representing Scotland U20 in the Under-20 Six Nations, including Scotland U20 Co-Captain Liam McConnell.
Ahead of the fixture, Miller said: “It was good to get some competition in a game environment last weekend. Newcastle are a strong team and they really asked us some questions so it was a worthwhile part of the programme.
“We played against Wales before with two squads and for me exposing 50 players to that level of rugby is really the aim of that part of the programme. We’ve now reduced the squad and playing one game.
“The squad of 26 is exciting and it’s our first real test with that smaller squad which we’re really looking forward to.
“The players are obviously really looking forward to Sunday as well. What I’ve picked up from the group so far is that they’re enjoying the programme, they’re definitely being challenged and they have a real appetite for more.
“They learn quickly, they’re starting to adapt, and they have a really good work ethic which is key to our programme.”
Scotland U18 team to face Wales U18 at St Helen’s, Swansea (kick off 1pm)
15. Jack Brown* (George Watsons College) CAPTAIN
14. Ben Morriss (Deeside/Gordonians RFC)
13. Johnny Ventisei* (St Aloysius / GHA RFC)
12. Lloyd McEwan-Peters (Yorkshire Academy/Wellington College)
11. Samuel Rockley (London Irish/Bishop Wand/London Irish Academy)
10. Matthew Urwin* (St Aloysius)
9. Hector Patterson* (Hawick RFC)
1. Ben White* (Peebles RFC)
2. Seb Stephen* (Glenalmond College / Aberdeen Grammar RFC)
3. Ollie Blyth-Lafferty* (Boroughmuir RFC)
4. Fraser Wilson* (Gala RFC)
5. Charlie Moss (Marlow Rugby/Shiplake College/Wasps)
6. Oliver Duncan* (Edinburgh Academy)
7. Fergus Wood* (George Heriots School)
8. Finn Spurway* (Glenalmond College)
16. Joe Roberts* (Robert Gordons College)
17. Ollie Bowden* (GHA RFC)
18. Keita Ando (SC Frankfurt 1880/Sedbergh)
19. Christian Lindsay* (Loretto)
20. Bart Godsell (Gloucester Academy/Marling)
21. Craig Nolan* (Glasgow Hawks RFC)
22. Hugo Alderson (Stewart’s Melville College)
23. Isaac Coates* (Merchiston Castle)
24. Joe Townshend (Strathallan School)
25. Fergus Watson* (Biggar RFC)
26. Sam Leweni* (Queen Victoria School)
*FOSROC Scottish Rugby Regional Academy Players
Tickets for the match against Wales U18 will be available at St Helen’s only. Public gates open from midday, and tickets are priced £5 for adults and are free for children under 16. Tickets on the gate are cash only, if spectators need to pay by card they need to go to the main reception area on Bryn Road.