FOSROC Super Series Championship | Review of Round 3

FOSROC Super Series Championship | Review of Round 3

Round 3 saw another big weekend of Super Series rugby! Here's how each game went.

 Friday 11 August: Watsonians v Boroughmuir Bears

As the Capital clash got underway this evening, Jake Kerr added the first points on the board for the hosts as a determined Watsonians front row drove them over the try line in the first five minutes of play. Jason Baggott added the extras.

The Bear’s did not let Watsonians keep their lead for long as not but five minutes after the opening try they drove themselves into the opposition’s 22. A wide pass to winger Mason Cullen provided the space needed for Joe Jenkins to secure the ball as he crashed over the whitewash. George Paul’s conversion was successful which equalled the scoreboard.

The Bears remained constant in their attack and were awarded a penalty for Watsonians being offside however George Paul kick was unsuccessful as the ball ricocheted off the posts.

After an extended period of defensive play from both sides it was Watsonians who broke away and added more points to their total. In an almost identical sequence of play to their first try – a throw at the five-metre line led to a driving maul and Jake Kerr crashed over the try line. Baggott once again added the extras which brought the hosts out in front ahead of the break.

HALF-TIME: Watsonians 14 – 7 Boroughmuir Bears

As the second half got underway the hosts once again were first to the post with the scoring. A wide pass from George Pringle to Freddie Owsley crisply made its way back to his hands and he grounded it over the line. Baggott’s kick was successful.

Not long after their first try of the second half Watsonians found themselves at the try line again with one of their trademark driving maul tries which allowed hooker Jake Kerr his hattrick try of the game and secured the bonus point for Watsonians. Extras were added.

A faux pas pass from Bears George Paul allowed Watsonians Lewis Berg the gap he needed to squeeze through to score their 5th try of the night. Conversion was unsuccessful.

For the remainder of the second half Bears tickled the try line multiple times but Watsonians defence was too strong for them to push their way through.

Tensions were getting high in the final five minutes of the game and two yellow cards for Watsonians came in quick succession for Gregor Scougall and Murdo McAndrew which saw them in the sinbin for the remainder of the match.

With no further points added to the scoreboard, the hosts walked away with another victory under their belt.

FULL-TIME: Watsonians 33 – 7 Boroughmuir Bears

Referee: Jonny Perriam
FOSROC Player of the Match: Jake Kerr (Watsonians)

Watsonians: Jake Kerr (3), George Pringle, Lewis Berg
Boroughmuir Bears: Joe Jenkins

Watsonians: Jason Baggott (4)
Boroughmuir Bears: George Paul

Watsonians: Gregor Scougall, Murdo McAndrew


Saturday 12 August: Southern Knights v Ayrshire Bulls

With under a minute on the clock as the game began the Bull’s made their presence known at the Greenyards. Fullback Chris Hyde snaked his way through the Knight’s defence and dotted the ball in the corner for the first try. Hyde successfully converted his own try for the extras.

The Knights did not let Bulls get comfortable with their lead as they remained relentless in their attack and forced their way into the Bull’s 22. A beautiful series of play saw a pass out to the wing where Aidan cross snatched it up and crashed over the whitewash. Callum Grieve added the extras.

Ayrshire Bulls retaliated quickly and a scrum on the five-metre line gave Bulls the advantage they needed, and they pushed themselves closer to the try line. From the bottom of the ruck Fergus Johnston leaped over the top and secured their second try. Hyde’s conversion was successful.

The later of the first half ebbed and flowed with Southern Knights remaining dominant with their possession. However, the Bull’s defence was too strong, and they could not turn possession into points.

The Bulls made themselves comfortable in the Knight’s 22 and the ball looked like it was going out, however, a cheeky tap back into the field from Tom Glendinning allowed Andy Stirrat to scoop it back into play and he grounded it for the try. Conversion was unsuccessful.

Shortly after, a series of offloads in their own half put Captain Blair MacPherson through the line as he drove forward. This provided the perfect opportunity for Fergus Johnston who, quick as a flash, seized the ball and flew to the try line as he gained his second of the game. Hyde’s kick was successful once again and the visitors stormed into the lead ahead of the break.

HALF-TIME: Southern Knights 7 – 26 Ayrshire Bulls

The first points of the second half came after ten minutes of play – fresh off the bench for Knights Corbin Thunder lived up to his name as he thundered over the line for a deserving try after the grit they had put into play. Callum Grieve’s conversion was successful.

The retaliation from the visitors was swift as Bull’s Rory Jackson stormed the try line from 30 yards out putting their 5th try on the scoreboard. Extras were added.

Tensions were high on the field at the Greenyards as both teams were hungry for more points. It was the Knight’s appetite that was quenched as a pass out wide to Paddy Anderson secured the hosts another try. Conversion was missed.

The heavens opened as the clocked ticked over the 70-minute mark just as Bull’s Alex McGuire blew past the Knight’s defence for another try. The wind was too strong for Hyde this time and his kick went wide.

Knights made one last field attempt and it was fruitful as Callum Grieve sprinted across the field before a sneaky inside pass to Calum Barrett provided him the opportunity for a try in the corner and a bonus point consolation for the hosts. The conversion was missed, and Bull’s secured the win away at the Greenyards.

FULL-TIME: Southern Knights 24 – 38 Ayrshire Bulls

Referee: David Sutherland
FOSROC Player of the Match: Fergus Johnston (Ayrshire Bulls)

Southern Knights: Aidan Cross, Corbin Thunder, Paddy Anderson, Calum Barrett
Ayrshire Bulls: Chris Hyde, Fergus Johnston (2), Andy Stirrat, Rory Jackson, Alex McGuire

Southern Knights: Callum Grieve (2)
Ayrshire Bulls: Chris Hyde (4)

Saturday 12 August: Heriot’s Rugby v Stirling Wolves

In true Heriot’s fashion, the scoring began through a heavy maul to get captain Iain Wilson over the line. Bruce Houston got the extras.

Another Heriot’s try came in quick succession on the 13th minute when Lewis Wells danced around the Wolves the defence and stretched over the whitewash. Bruce Houston’s boot was successful again.

Stirling Wolves finally made their mark on the scoreboard when after a series of recycled balls, Tom Smith picked up and dived over the line. Marcus Holden made the extras.

After the Wolves conceded a penalty close to their own line, Bruce Houston made a successful kick at the posts, adding another three points to the host’s roster.

A couple of minutes before half time, the Wolves fought back with a driving maul from five metres out which managed to push hooker Gregor Hiddleston over the whitewash. Marcus Holden made a successful conversion.

HALF-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 17 – 14 Stirling Wolves

Just two minutes into the second half, a break away from the maul let the hosts get just a meter from the line, allowing Sinjin Broad to pick and go over the line. Bruce Houston’s accurate boot continued his conversion kicking streak.

A penalty conceded by Heriot’s close to the Wolves’ try line let Marcus Holden take a penalty kick, adding another three points for the visitors.

It was a case of déjà vu for the crowd as Heriot’s took a line out close to the try line and created a heavy driving maul with captain Iain Wilson at the helm. He was over the line for the hosts’ bonus point try.

The next score came for the Wolves when Eric Davey found space in the Heriot’s defence and sprinted to dot down behind the posts. Marcus Holden converted.

Another try came for the hosts in quick succession when after a series of pick and goes, the ball was passed out to the outside centre channel and Ben Smith picked up and dived over.

A scrum close to their hosts’ try line allowed Wolves’ Number 8 Ed Hasdell to pick up from the back of the scrum and barrel past the Heriot’s defence under the sticks. Marcus Holden secured the extras, bringing the visitors within three points of their leaders.

Stirling Wolves were close to another try which would push them ahead of their hosts right on full time, but a penalty conceded just shy of the line allowed Heriot’s to kick out and finalise the scoring for the evening.

FULL-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 34 – 31 Stirling Wolves

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell
FOSROC Player of the Match: Iain Wilson (Heriot’s Rugby)

Heriot’s Rugby: Iain Wilson (2), Lewis Wells, Sinjin Broad, Ben Smith,
Stirling Wolves: Tom Smith, Gregor Hiddleston, Eric Davey, Ed Hasdell

Heriot’s Rugby: Bruce Houston (3)
Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden (4)

Heriot’s Rugby: Bruce Houston
Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners