FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 7

FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 7

Round 7 of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship got underway this weekend. Here's how each game went.

Friday 23 September: Stirling Wolves v Watsonians

In the first 10 minutes of the game the visitors got on the scoreboard through a lovely timed pass from stand-off Lee Millar to blindside flanker Seb Cecil to go over for the opening score of the game.

Shortly after centre Lewis Berg powered past numerous Wolves defenders to score their second of the evening which was converted by Millar.

Near the half hour mark Wolves got their first points on the board thanks to a well-taken lineout and an inside ball to winger Walter Fifita who flung off the Watsonians scrum-half, Marcus Holden added the conversion.

Half time: Stirling Country 7-12 Watsonians Rugby

Five minutes into the second-half Wolves took the lead for the only time in the game when they took a quick tap penalty which allowed Gregor Hiddleston to power over with Holden adding the extra points on offer.

Watsonians responded shortly after when Connor Boyle peeled off the back of a rolling maul and dived over with Millar converting.

With 10 minutes left on the clock the visiting forwards mounted what must have been 20+ phases of pick and go carrying before flinging it out to the backs, winger Angus Guthrie took the ball on an inside line to power over with Millar once again adding the extras on offer.

The visitors turned the screw a further four minutes later when second row Kwagga Van Nlekerk took the ball whilst camped out on the far side wing, which was converted my Millar.

Despite being 19 points down with two minutes to go Wolves were certainly not out. Fifita started a rampaging run on the stand side wing and passed inside to Ryan Southern, the centre took off and found young replacement scrum-half Finlay Burgess who ran in for the try to finish is off and drop-kicked the conversion in a bid to get the game going again.

Full time: Stirling Wolves 21-33 Watsonians Rugby

Referee: Iain Kenny

FOSROC Player of the Match: Kwagga Van Nlekerk (Watsonians)

Stirling Wolves: Walter Fifita, Gregor Hiddleston, Finlay Burgess
Watsonians: Seb Cecil, Lewis Berg, Connor Boyle, Angus Guthrie, Kwagga Van Nlekerk

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden (2), Finlay Burgess
Watsonians: Lee Millar (4)


Saturday 24 September – Heriot’s Rugby v Boroughmuir Bears

The Bears were given a chance to add points to the board within the first 7 minutes with a penalty kick, but Jack Bergin just fell short of the posts.

A fantastic decoy run caught the Bears off guard and allowed Iain Wilson to power through the gap and over the try line. Captain Bruce Houston added the extras.

Bruce Houston put his kicking skills to good use by lobbing the ball across the width of the pitch which slotted perfectly in the hands of Nyle Godsmark. He was straight over the line giving Heriot’s their second try. Bruce Houston’s kicks were on top form today as he also grabbed the extras.

A penalty was awarded to Heriot’s and Bruce Houston added another 3 points to his team’s ever-growing score.

The Bears were determined to add points to the looming scoreboard and thanks to some strong attack against the equally strong Heriot’s defence, Ruairidh Swan dotted the ball down between the posts. Jack Bergin redeemed himself by making the conversion.

Right on half time, the Bears were awarded another penalty and the kick was this time made by Jack Bergin.

Half-time: Heriot’s 17-10 Boroughmuir Bears

After long phases of attack and defence, Callum Atkinson used his height advantage to stretch out and get the Bears their second try. Jack Bergin had the chance to level up the score board, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Heriot’s gave away an essential penalty which allowed Jack Bergin to bring the Bears to a one point lead in front of their hosts.

Elliot Young then went to take line out 5 meters out of the Bears line, stayed controlled in the Heriot’s maul and got the host back in the lead. Bruce Houston missed the extras from out wide.

Patience and consistency was key for the Bears who manage to get their noses out front with 2 minutes to go thanks to Gregor Brown. Jack Bergin completed the extras.

Everyone was on the edge of their seats as Heriot’s made one final attempt to be successful on home soil, but a determined Bears side held up their hosts right on the try line and the full time whistle was blown.

Full-time: Heriot’s 22-25 Boroughmuir Bears

Referee: Jonny Perriam

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Bruce Houston (Heriot’s Rugby)

Heriot’s: Iain Wilson, Nyle Godsmark, Elliot Young
Boroughmuir Bears: Ruairidh Swan, Callum Atkinson, Gregor Brown

Heriot’s: Bruce Houston (2)
Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin (2)

Heriot’s: Bruce Houston
Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin (2)


Saturday 24 September – Ayrshire Bulls v Southern Knights

It took just seven minutes for the hosts to get their first points of the game as a powerful rolling maul was brought down just short of the line and a penalty try was awarded.

With the penalty try leading to a yellow card for Knights’ Jamie Campbell Bulls doubled their advantage with a driving maul almost identical to the play that led to their opening points. Captain Blair MacPherson was the Bull to record the score, with William Hunt adding the conversion.

Southern Knights found themselves with a few good opportunities in a 10 minute spell following Campbell’s return to the field but were unable to finish off any promising chances.

In the 38th minute a dummy & step from Liam McNamara rounded off a period of pressure and some solid work from the forwards for Bulls as the home side recorded a third score before the half.

Half-Time: Ayrshire Bulls 19-0 Southern Knights

Both teams made a host of changes during the break but it made little difference to the momentum of the game as FOSROC Player of the Match Cam Jones secured a bonus point in the 48th minute. The Bulls pack once again showed their strength in the scrum to drive to the line and the scrum half was there to finish it off. William Hunt was successful with the conversion.

Bulls’ superiority in the scrum showed once more and another big shove from five metres out led to William Hunt adding a fifth in the 58th minute, stepping inside the tackler and skipping through two further tackles to score.

The last ten minutes were undoubtedly Southern Knights’ best period of the game, with the Bulls defence tested and eventually beaten as a perfectly-weighted kick through from Cammy Scott was collected by Aidan Cross to get the visitors on the scoreboard.

Full-Time: Ayrshire Bulls 31-5 Southern Knights

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Cam Jones (Ayrshire Bulls)

Bulls: Penalty, Blair MacPherson, Liam McNamara, Cam Jones & William Hunt
Knights: Aidan Cross

Bulls: William Hunt x2

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners