FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 8

FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 8

Round 8 of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship got underway this weekend. Here's how each game went.

Friday 30 October:  Boroughmuir Bears v Stirling Wolves 

Stirling Wolves got their first win of the FOSROC Super6 campaign away at Meggetland as they produced an impressive second half comeback to beat Boroughmuir Bears 28-16.

The Bears took the lead in just in five minutes as they were awarded a penalty inside the Wolves’ half, and Jack Bergin slotted over from the tee.

And the home side got the first try of the contest, as Bergin’s looping pass at to the left was gathered and finished off by Joe Jenkins.

Half time: Boroughmuir Bears 10-0 Stirling Wolves

The Bears started the second half as they did the first, with Bergin knocking a penalty over which took their lead to 13 points.

Stirling pulled a try back in the 57th minute, with Angus Fraser battling his way over from close range.

And just three minutes later the visitors had the lead. The ball was worked out to the left by the backs and Ryan Southern had space to rush to the line and dive over.

Bergin then slotted a third penalty over, and the Bears lead once more.

With just eight minutes to go, the Wolves took back the lead. The ball was this time passed out to the right and Marcus Holden was on his own to finish off.

And right at the death Stirling secured the bonus point as Gregor Hiddleston was too strong for the home side’s defence and powered over.

Full time: Boroughmuir Bears 16-28 Stirling Wolves

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell

FOSROC Player of the Match: Angus Fraser (Stirling Wolves)


Boroughmuir Bears: Joe Jenkins
Stirling County: Angus Fraser, Ryan Southern, Marcus Holden, Gregor Hiddleston


Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin
Stirling County: Marcus Holden (4)


Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin (3)

Saturday 1 October: Heriot’s Rugby v Ayrshire Bulls 

Visitors Ayrshire Bulls opened the scoring in the opening few moments of the game when centre Thomas Glendinning dotting down in the corner and Ross Thomson converting.

Five minutes later Eli Caven went over for the Bulls second of the afternoon thanks to some neat handling by the backs, Thomson once again adding the extra two points on offer.

With a half hour gone Bulls kept the ball alive and allowed Caven to dance in for another.

HALF-TIME Heriot’s Rugby 0-19 Ayrshire Bulls

Hosts Heriot’s got on the scoreboard on the hour mark thanks to a box kick that was charged down by Iain Wilson and the try finished off by Jed Gelderbloom, converted by young Dan King.

Caven went over for a hat-trick when he created something from nothing and used his footballing skills to kick the ball up-field and dot down with Will Hunt adding the extra two points on offer.

He then went in for try number four of the afternoon when he used a change of pace and change of direct to run round some Heriot’s defenders with Hunt finishing off the afternoon’s scoring with a conversion.

FULL-TIME Heriot’s Rugby 7-33 Ayrshire Bulls

Referee: Finlay Brown

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Eli Caven (Ayrshire Bulls)

Heriot’s Rugby: Jed Gelderbloom
Ayrshire Bulls: Thomas Glendinning, Eli Caven (4)

Heriot’s Rugby: Dan King
Ayrshire Bulls: Ross Thomson (2), Will Hunt (2)

Yellow Card:
Blair MacPherson (Ayrshire Bulls)
Euan McLaren (Heriot’s)

Saturday 1 October: Watsonians v Southern Knights

It was a strong start for the hosts as Jamie Berrisford strolled over the try line and added the first points to the board for Watsonians. Lee Millar popped the ball over the posts, bringing the hosts out in front in the first couple of minutes.

Watsonians fullback Dom Coetzer put his foot on the gas and managed to avoid every Southern Knights player that he came across to sprint over try line and add 5 more points for his team. Lee Millar continued his kicking success and achieved the extras.

A penalty awarded to Southern Knights’ allowed Kyle Mcghie got to take a quick kick and go. A tactical pass out to Sam Derrick let the flanker to sprint over the line and achieve the first points for the visitors. The extras were added by Keiran Clark.

Shortly after, a line out 5 meters from the Knights line allowed Watsonians to drive their maul and get Karl Main over the line. Lee Millar missed the extras.

Following some injury time and some back-and-forth play, a yellow was shown to Roan Frostwick for dangerous play.

A relentless phase of attacking from Southern Knights 2 feet from the try line was short lived as it was knocked on right on half time.

HALF-TIME Watsonians 19-7 Southern Knights

The Knights took no prisoners and got the second half underway as Rudi Brown added the second try for the visitors. Keiran Clark got the extras.

Watsonians tried to respond and were almost over the line but Kwagga van Neikerk lost the ball right under the posts, turning over the play.

Angus Guthrie made up for his team mates mistake by dancing around the Knights defenders to get Watsonians a try bonus point. Conversion was missed.

The trys just kept on coming as Ross McKnight brought the hosts back into a secure lead and dotted the ball down in the corner for Watsonians fifth try. Jason Baggott successfully kicked the extras.

Right on full time a fantastic interception from Lomond MacPherson allowed him to sprint from the halfway line and get the hosts the final try of the match. Jason Baggott finalised the game by kicking the extras.

FULL-TIME Watsonians 38-14 Southern Knights

Referee: Jonny Perriam

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Jamie Berrisford (Watsonians)

Watsonians: Jamie Berrisford, Dom Coetzer, Karl Main, Angus Guthrie, Ross McKnight, Lomond MacPherson
Southern Knights: Sam Derrick, Rudi Brown

Watsonians: Lee Millar (2), Jason Baggott (2)
Southern Knights: Keiran Clark (2)

Watsonians: Roan Frostwick

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners