Heriot’s earn home tie play-off after defeating Hawick

Heriot’s earn home tie play-off after defeating Hawick

Heriot’s left it late but were able to snatch a home play-off tie against Currie Chieftains after putting in a fine display to beat Hawick in the Borders.

A minute’s silence was observed before kick-off in memory of Bette McLaren, wife of legendary commentator, Bill at Mansfield Park.

The rain started and the wind picked up almost as soon as the game got underway and didn’t relent for the entire match, making it more of a contest favouring the forwards than the backs.

Heriot’s started off on the front foot, controlling play for the majority of the first half and opened the scoring after 12 minutes as the ball reached the hands of winger Craig Robertson who dashed down the line to go over. Ross Jones was unable to add the extras. (0-5)

Jones did get an opportunity to make amends following a penalty for a high tackle just inside the Hawick half, using the wind to good effect to extend their lead to eight points. (0-8)

Heriot’s dominated possession throughout the rest of the first half but were able to get any more points on the board as the home side showed some resilient defence.

The home side were then awarded for their persistence just before the break. Michael Liness was given a yellow card for a high tackle and Hawick took advantage as Kirk Ford collected a pass from Lee Armstrong to go over, much to the delight of the home supporters.

Half Time Hawick 5 -8 Heriot’s

Heriot’s came out firing after the restart, scoring five minutes into the second half after kicking for touch from a penalty deep into Hawick’s 22.

A good take in the line-out and a big drive by the forwards got Jack McLean over the whitewash, with Jones’ conversion successful. (5-15).

The visitors now pushed for the bonus-point which they knew could earn them a home play-off, but credit to Hawick, they remained strong until the final 10 minutes.

Heriot’s utilised their forward power as the game reached its final stages, which resulted in a penalty try with 72 minutes on the clock as the players sprinted back for the restart.

They were made to wait for their bonus-point score, which eventually came from the last play of the match after a big heave from a 5m scrum pushed towards the line.

Jack McLean was the man who had the ball in hand and touched down under the posts for his second score of the afternoon with Jones slotting the kick to leave the final score 5-29.

Currie’s result against Edinburgh Academicals means that the two teams will be heading to Goldenacre for their play-off fixture.


Hawick: Ali Weir; Kirk Ford, Andrew Mitchell, Greg Walker, Logan Gordon-Wooley; Lee Armstrong, Gareth Welsh, Shawn Muir (Captain), Matty Carryer, Dale Johnstone, Daniel Suddon, Dalton Redpath, David Lowrie, Stuart Graham, Bruce McNeil, Calum Renwick Nicky Little, Jae Linton Keith Davies, Grant Huggan.

Heriot’s: Charlie Simpson; Scott King, Ross Jones, Robert Kay, Craig Robertson; Stuart Edwards, Andrew Simmers; Josh Scott, Michael Liness, Struan Cessford, Rhuaridh Leishman, Adam Sinclair, Iain Wilson (Captain), Jack McLean, Struan Dewar, Ali Johnstone, Harry Simpson, Martin Hughes, Alex Ball, Rory Carmichael.

Tennent’s Premiership Fixtures
2 March 2019
Watsonians 22- 12 Ayr
Hawick 5-29 Heriot’s
Glasgow Hawks 12-30 Stirling County
Boroughmuir 14-12 Melrose
Currie Chieftains 19-5 Edinburgh Academicals

The final standings of the 2019 Tennent’s Premiership can be found HERE

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners