FOSROC Super Series Championship | Review of Round 14

FOSROC Super Series Championship | Review of Round 14

The final round of the regular league matches in the FOSROC Super Series Championship took place this weekend - here's how each of the teams got on.

Friday 3 November: Southern Knights v Heriot’s Rugby

The opening five minutes at the Greenyards was action-packed as Southern Knights Donald Crawford was shown a yellow card early for being offside. Heriot’s attacking front instantly capitalised on this as they delivered a driving maul try to open the scoring and it was hooker Duncan Hood that crashed over the whitewash. Ross Jones’ conversion as successful.

After a small period of pick-and-goes Knights got their first try of the evening at the 20-minute mark. A misfired Heriot’s lineout was quickly gathered by Allan Ferrie who was brought down 20 metres short of the line. An incredible display of teamwork from Knights as the ball was passed out to Corbin Thunder and he got the offload to the wing where Donald Crawford gathered the ball having recently returned to the field and bundled over the line. McNeish’s conversion was successful.

Knights did not wait long until they got their second try of the evening on the board. As the forwards pushed deep into Heriot’s 22, Craig Greer made multiple attempts for the line but was cut short by Heriot’s defence. However, they were unable to keep them at bay for long as Corbin Thunder found the gap and grounded the ball over the line. Extras were added.

Heriot’s secured their second try after a series of physical phases eventually landed the ball in the hands of Charlie Salava who made a quick offload to Dan King. King juggled the ball slightly as he made his way to the try line but managed to hold firm as he planted it over the line. Jones’ kick was successful, and the scoreboard was evened as we entered the break.

HALF-TIME: Southern Knights 14 – 14 Heriot’s Rugby

A drizzly second half got underway at the Greenyards with neither team able to capitalise on any opportunities until the 68th minute of play.

An intercepted kick from Ross Jones by Knights’ Calum Barett was charged down by Hamish Bentley who brushed off some loose tackles from Heriot’s as he crashed over the line under the sticks. Harris Rutherford had taken over kicking duties, and it was easy work as it soared through the posts putting the hosts in the lead with 10 minutes left on the clock.

The clock had ticked into the red but a penalty was awarded to Heriot’s for Knights not driving straight in the scrum and was kicked to the corner. A successful throw-in ensued to a series of pick-and-goes and the ball made its way out the back to skipper Ross Jones who gathered and secured the five points. Jones converted his own try and once again evened the scoreboard as the final whistle was blown.

FULL-TIME: Southern Knights 21 – 21 Heriot’s Rugby

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell
FOSROC Player of the Match: Corbin Thunder (Southern Knights)

Southern Knights: Donald Crawford, Corbin Thunder, Hamish Bentley
Heriot’s Rugby: Duncan Hood, Dan King, Ross Jones

Southern Knights: Gregor McNeish (2), Harris Rutherford
Heriot’s Rugby: Ross Jones (3)

Southern Knights: Donald Crawford


Saturday 4 November: Watsonians v FOSROC Future XV

It took 25 minutes for scoring to begin, however at seven minutes in, Watsonians wing George Pringle was shown a yellow for an illegal tackle.

Finally, after long spells of possession for both teams, Watsonians put some points on the board. It was a classic driving maul which let hooker Patrick Harrison crash over the line. Dom Coetzer’s boot was good, adding the extra two points.

HALF-TIME: Watsonians 7 – 0 FOSROC Future XV

The second try of the game was the second try for Patrick Harrison. A series of heavy pick and goes let the strong Watsonians forwards to battle through the defence and eventually Harrison stretched over the line. The kick was good again for Dom Coetzer.

Watsonians added their third try and the final score of the game in the 71st minute when after some strong defence from the FOSROC Future XV, flanker Karl Main found space and darted through and over the line. Dom Coetzer added the extras.

FULL-TIME: Watsonians 21 – 0 FOSROC Future XV

Referee: Jonny Perriam
FOSROC Player of the Match: Patrick Harrison (Watsonians)

Watsonians: Patrick Harrison (2), Karl Main

Watsonians: Dom Coetzer (3)

Watsonians: George Pringle


Saturday 4 November: Boroughmuir Bears v Stirling Wolves

Stirling Wolves opened the scoring at Meggetland this evening after ten minutes of play. The Bears defended solidly but after a series of attack from Wolves and a scrum in front of the posts, James Pow charged to the the line for the first try. The conversion was unsuccessful and drifted past the posts.

Bears responded with some pressurised attack of their own soon after. A successful lineout led to a powerful surge from the forwards as they charged to the try line and it was Kieran Westlake who grounded the ball. Andrew McLean’s kick was unsuccessful, and the scoreboard was levelled.

Keen to enter the break ahead Wolves went in for their second try. It was an inside pass from Craig Jackson to Ryan Southern who spotted the gap in Bears defence which he broke through for a solo run towards the line. Holden’s conversion was successful which furthered their lead.

HALF-TIME: Boroughmuir Bears 5 – 12 Stirling Wolves

The visitors once again got the scoring underway in the second half as a powerful driving maul charged towards the line, a break to the left out the back by Gregor Hiddleston saw him bundle over the line. Extras were missed.

The Wolves bonus point try was secured following a neat kick from Ross McKnight which was sent downfield, and a chase got underway for the ball. Bears Andrew McLean got to the ball first but was brought down inside the 22, the ball spilled out and it was Connor Goron who scooped it up and crashed over the whitewash. Holden’s kick soared through the posts.

Stirling Wolves fifth try took multiple attempts as they waded deep into the Bears 22, a quick pass out the back of the scrum found the hands of Kyle McGhie who danced through the Bears defence and dotted the ball over the line. Conversion was successful.

The scoreboard remained unchanged in the final 15 minutes and the Wolves victory at Meggetland was firmly secured.

FULL-TIME: Boroughmuir Bears 5 – 31 Stirling Wolves

Referee: Rob McDowell
FOSROC Player of the Match: Tom Smith (Stirling Wolves)

Boroughmuir Bears: Kieran Westlake
Stirling Wolves: James Pow, Ryan Southern, Gregor Hiddleston, Connor Gordon, Kyle McGhie

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden (3)

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners