FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 6

FOSROC Super6 Championship | Review of Round 6

Round 6 of the 2022 FOSROC Super6 Championship got underway this weekend. Here's how each game went.

Friday 16 September – Southern Knights v Heriot’s Rugby

Heriot’s Rugby came out 31-21 winners at The Greenyards in a tightly contested encounter against Southern Knights.

It was the hosts who opened the scoring after just four minutes. Rudi Brown had made a lively start and was rewarded with a try when Cammy Scott put him through a gap five metres out.

Heriot’s drew level in the 11th minute. After a driving maul was held up over the line, the visitors had a second chance within a minute and this time made no mistake as Michael Liness drove over.

The Knights then took the lead again in the 25th minute, as Robbie Chalmers found Aidan Cross on his inside who broke through a tackle and got to the line under the posts.

But just four minutes later Heriot’s were level again. Again it was Michael Liness at the back of a driving maul who crashed over, on the opposite side of the pitch from his first.

With the last play of the half, Heriot’s took the lead for the first time as Bruce Houston kicked a penalty over.

Half time: Southern Knights 14-17 Heriot’s Rugby

The Goldenacre side extended their lead after the interval. Euan McAra broke up the left side, and gave the ball to Sam Wallace, who drew the last defender and put Sam Pecqueur through in acres of space to finish.

The Knights set up an exciting finale as they scored with just over four minutes to go. Charlie Shiel spotted a gap and darted through, and he found Rudi Brown who managed to ground the ball for his second try despite the efforts of the visiting defence to hold him up.

But with the last play, pandemonium struck. A clearance kick from the Knights clattered off the face of Pecqueur, and Bobby Kay dived to ground the ball just before it went dead to seal a try bonus point for Heriot’s.

Full time: Southern Knights 21-31 Heriot’s Rugby

Referee: Hollie Davidson

FOSROC Player of the Match: Rudi Brown (Southern Knights)


Southern Knights: Rudi Brown (2), Aidan Cross
Heriot’s Rugby: Michael Liness (2), Sam Pecqueur, Bobby Kay


Southern Knights: Cammy Scott (3)
Heriot’s Rugby: Bruce Houston (4)


Heriot’s Rugby: Bruce Houston


Saturday 17 September – Watsonians v Boroughmuir Bears

In the opening two minutes of the game Rory Brand, Watsonians scrum half, darted round the breakdown to run in for the opening try of the afternoon with Lee Miller adding the conversion.

There wasn’t another score in this first half until a few moments before the half-time whistle when Watsonians number 8 Ben Muncaster showed his sheer power to force his way over a few Boroughmuir Bears defenders and score in the corner.

Half-time: Watsonians 12-0 Boroughmuir Bears

Boroughmuir Bears got on the score sheet in the first two minutes of the game thanks to a penalty by stand off Jack Bergin.

The hosts then extended their lead further when full back Dom Coetzer ran in a try in the corner.

With 12 minutes left to go Karl Main barged his way over the try line with Connor Eastgate adding the conversion.

Home winger Angus Guthrie went on a lovely solo run to earn Watsonians their fifth try of the afternoon, with less than three minutes to go. Eastgate once again added the conversion.

In the final play of the game, Bears managed to score a try thanks to a nice off-load from the ground from Bergin which replacement hooker Jerry Blyth-Lafferty scored, Bergin added the conversion

Full-time: Watsonians 31-10 Boroughmuir Bears

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Ben Muncaster (Watsonians)

Watsonians: Rory Brand, Ben Muncaster, Dom Coetzer, Karl Main, Angus Guthrie
Boroughmuir Bears: Jerry Blyth-Lafferty

Watsonians: Lee Miller, Connor Eastgate (2)
Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin

Boroughmuir Bears: Jack Bergin


Saturday 17 September – Stirling Wolves v Ayrshire Bulls

Ayrshire Bulls’ captain Blair McPherson got the try scoring underway, bringing his side up 5 points in under 3 minutes. Richie Simpson added the extras.

Stirling Wolves’ first points weren’t far behind as Bulls gave away a penalty. Co-captain Marcus Holden popped the ball through the posts so the hosts were 2 points behind their visitors.

Richie Simpson made great pace into the corner to dot down the Bulls’ second try. Elias Caven took over kicking duties after Simpson picked up an injury from that try, and Caven made the conversion.

Liam McNamara was shown a yellow after stopping a clear try scoring opportunity for the Wolves.

Marcus Holden showed his sprinting ability and was awarded another try for the Wolves. There was no stopping for the captain as he also added the extras for his try.

Sione Vailanu made pace up the pitch and passed to Aaron Tait who brought the Bulls to a 9 point lead. Conversion was missed.

A nifty chip kick from William Hunt set up the perfect opportunity for Aaron Tait who put his foot on the gas to get Ayrshire Bulls their bonus point try. Extras were missed.

Half-time: Stirling Wolves 10-24 Ayrshire Bulls

Lewis McNamara came off the bench with a purpose and put his foot down to get the Bulls another try. William Hunt kicked the conversion.

Cam Jones used the Bulls’ confidence, and with help from Sione Vailanu, sprinted up the pitch from the scrum to quickly add another 5 points for the leaders. The conversion was missed.

There was no stopping the Bulls as Lewis McNamara added to his try scoring record with William Hunt adding the extras.

The try’s kept on coming for Ayrshire Bulls as Cam Jones quickly used a penalty advantage to get the ball to William Hunt who finished the run. William Hunt then went on to convert his own try.

Stirling Wolves responded quickly and a heavy drive got Max Williamson over the line. The conversion was missed as the ball hit the posts.

Tim Brown added his name to the Bulls try scorer list after an excellent set piece from the visitors. William Hunt continued his kicking success.

After a long phase of possession and the Wolves almost running out of ideas, the ball was kicked into the corner for Euan Cunningham to dive over the line, adding 5 points for the hosts. Conversion was missed.

Blair McPherson finished the game just like he started it by adding a final try to the Ayrshire Bulls’ score sheet. William Hunt completed his kicking duties by adding the final couple of points for the visitors.

Full-time: Stirling Wolves 20-64 Ayrshire Bulls

Referee: Jonny Perriam

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Blair McPherson (Ayrshire Bulls)

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden, Max Williamson, Euan Cunningham
Ayrshire Bulls: Blair McPherson (2), Richie Simpson, Aaron Tait (2), Lewis McNamara (2), Cam Jones, William Hunt, Tim Brown

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden
Ayrshire Bulls: Richie Simpson, Elias Caven, William Hunt (5)

Stirling Wolves: Marcus Holden

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners