FOSROC Super6 Review of the semi-finals

FOSROC Super6 Review of the semi-finals

The FOSROC Super6 Championship semi-finals took place this weekend, here's how they went.

Friday 21 October: Watsonians v Heriot’s

Watsonians were the first team to head through to the FOSROC Super6 final, defeating Heriot’s Rugby 31-12 at Myreside.

The home side dominated the first half, and took the lead after seven minutes. Joe Reynolds ran a hard line between two defenders, and got his reward when he squeezed through and dived under the posts.

The hosts had a second try just three minutes later. Lomond MacPherson made the line break with a brilliant inside line, and Dom Coetzer was on his shoulder when he was tackled to collect an offload and reach the line.

After 18 minutes, the Myreside outfit had a third. A driving maul took Watsonians towards the line, and Seb Cecil broke free and wrestled his way underneath two defenders to dot down.

After his brilliant assist earlier, it was MacPherson’s turn to get a try of his own in the 34th minute. His run up the blind side saw him dart between defenders again, and this time there was nobody to stop him short of the line.

Half time: Watsonians 24-0 Heriot’s Rugby

Heriot’s grabbed a try back shortly after the interval. Their maul was slowed short of the line, but Iain Wilson was on hand to shoot out and dive into the right hand corner.

But Watsonians’ four-try lead was restored in the 67th minute. A loose ball after a lineout was picked up by Cal Davies, who charged down the left wing and found Rory Brand who was too quick for the recovering defence.

Ross Jones’ grubber kick was gathered by Dan King who scored under the posts for Heriot’s with the last play of the game, but it was Watsonians who were victorious and will head to DAM Health Stadium next Sunday for the final.

Full time: Watsonians 31-12 Heriot’s Rugby 

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell
FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Karl Main (Watsonians)

Watsonians: Joe Reynolds, Dom Coetzer, Seb Cecil, Lomond MacPherson, Rory Brand
Heriot’s Rugby: Iain Wilson, Dan King

Watsonians: Jason Baggott (2), Lee Millar
Heriot’s Rugby: Bruce Houston, Ross Jones

Saturday 22 October: Ayrshire Bulls v Boroughmuir Bears

With just over ten minutes gone in the game Bulls understood the conditions quicker than the Bears and opted to send a small pod up-field who managed to rumble over in-between the posts. Andrew Nimmo securing the score and Richie Simpson adding the conversion. 

Half-time: Ayrshire Bulls 7-0 Boroughmuir Bears 

Near on the hour mark Bulls worked their way up-field and secured a critical score when captain Blair MacPherson controlled the ball at the back of the scrum to match over just by the posts to allow Simpson to slot another conversion. 

In the final play of the game Bears were penalised and Bulls replacement stand-off Will Hunt stood up and slotted a penalty between the posts to secure the win for the hosts. 

Full-time: Ayrshire Bulls 17-0 Boroughmuir Bears

Referee: Jonny Perriam
FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Archie Smeaton (Ayrshire Bulls) 

Ayrshire Bulls: Andrew Nimmo, Blair MacPherson
Ayrshire Bulls: Richie Simpson (2)
Ayrshire Bulls: Will Hunt

Yellow Cards: Adam Scott (Boroughmuir Bears) 

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners