FOSROC Super6 – Round 6

FOSROC Super6 – Round 6

Match reports from the sixth round of FOSROC Super6 fixtures as Heriot's went head-to-head against Southern Knights and Ayrshire Bulls hosted Stirling County. On Sunday Boroughmuir Bears hosted league leaders Watsonians

Match Report: Heriot’s Rugby v Southern Knights

Heriot’s Rugby delivered a composed performance
at Goldenacre to secure victory against Southern Knights in bitterly cold

The capital side initiated the scoring early in the game, however, Southern Knights battled valiantly throughout the first-half and were able to claim a narrow one-point lead going into the interval.

The home side rallied thereafter and put in a sturdy second-half performance, which saw them score a further two tries to seal the victory.

It was initially Southern Knights who got off to a strong start as the visitors dominated the early exchanges. The tables turned, however, when an electric 40-metre interception saw winger Rory McMichael slip down the touchline before his charging attack was brought to an abrupt halt by Fraser Thomson.

From that moment onwards, Heriot’s appeared to find their stride and were almost over the line until a knock-on at the whitewash thwarted their attempt.

The hosts persistence soon came to fruition moments later when Michael Liness wriggled over from a short distance, with Ross Jones adding the extras.

Southern Knights response was prompt, with Jason Baggot stroking over a penalty to put the first points on the scoreboard for the visitors.

Frustratingly for Heriot’s, the visitors were soon back into contention as the hosts conceded another easy penalty in front of the posts, to which Baggott slotted over with ease.

As errors plagued both sides, it was soon Heriot’s turn to step up to the mark when Southern Knights were penalised for not rolling away in front of the posts, with Ross Jones building on the tally with another three points.

It was Southern Knights who had the final say of the first-half, as the side took the lead for the first time in the game when hooker Fraser Renwick powered over the line on the stroke of half-time.

HALF-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 10-11 Southern Knights

The hosts came out firing in the second-half as the Southern Knights defence were caught
napping when Cameron Hutchinson picked a great line to evade numerous
defenders and cruised his way over the whitewash, with Jones adding the extras.

A twenty-five-minute scoring lull followed, with both teams struggling to make ground in the blistery conditions. It took a clean break from James Couper to break the deadlock as the replacement cantered over the line to score.

Just as the game appeared to be settling down, Southern Knights’ found a new lease of life as they cranked through the gears with a series of pick and goes before the ball found replacement Ruaridh Knott who crashed over the line.

With Southern Knights beginning to build on momentum, Heriot’s stout defence quashed any potential comeback for the visitors and the resilient side claimed the home victory.

FULL-TIME: Heriot’s Rugby 22-16 Southern Knights

FOSROC Player-of-the-Match: Robert Kay (Heriot’s Rugby)

Heriot’s Rugby: 15. Robbie Chalmers; 14. Rory McMichael, 13. Robert Kay, 12. Cameron Hutchinson, 11. Jack Blain; 10. Ross Jones, 9. Dan Nutton; 1. Josh Scott, 2. Michael Liness, 3. Dan Gamble, 4. Adam Sinclair, 5. Charlie Jupp, 6. Iain Wilson CAPTAIN, 7. Jack McClean, 8. Jason Hill

Replacements: 16. Ali Johnston, 17. Chris Keen, 18. Struan Cessford, 19. Ronan Seydak, 20. Callum Marshall, 21. Andrew Simmers, 22. James Spencer.

Southern Knights: 15. Fraser Thomson CAPTAIN; 14. Ciaran Whyte, 13. Patrick Anderson, 12. Gavin Wood, 11. Joseph Jenkins; 10. Jason Baggott, 9. Struan Hutchison; 1. Shaun Gunn, 2. Fraser Renwick, 3. Ewan Mcquillan, 4. James Head, 5. Angus Runciman, 6. Neil Irvine-Hess, 7. Harri Morris, 8. Iain Moody

Replacements: 16. Finlay Scott, 17. Calum Crookshanks, 18. Grant Shiells, 19. Dalton Redpath, 20. Ruaridh Knott, 21. Andrew Nagle, 22. Thomas Galbraith, 23. Jacob Henry.

Match Report: Ayrshire Bulls v Southern Knights 

Ayrshire Bulls were able to record a bonus point win at home when they scored four tries over visitors Stirling County on a bitterly cold winters afternoon in the west coast.

The hosts opened the scoring when FOSROC Academy Stage 3 player Ross Thomson was able to slot a straight-forward penalty in front of the posts.

Moments later Bulls stretched their lead further. Thomson kicked a penalty to touch, the hosts mauled the lineout forward with ten men and it was hooker Sam Kitchen, who was at the back of the maul, that was able to get the ball down over the line. With the wind and rain battering against him, Thomson done well to add the extra two points.

Stirling were able to get on the scoreboard just before the half-hour mark when Nicolas Griffiths was penalised for collapsing a scrum. County stand-off Andrew Goudie stepped up and slotted it between the uprights with ease.

Bulls were reduced to 14 men when prop Gordon Reid was shown a yellow card. With a man advantage County’s Goudie was able to skip past two Bulls and fight his way over the try line.

It looked as though Stirling might be able to go into the half time break in the lead. Goudie’s shot at goal looked good, however a gust of wind caught a hold of the ball and it bounced off the far upright.

HALF-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 10-8 Stirling County 

The hosts opened the second half scoring when hooker Kitchen was able to get across the whitewash once more. The Bulls pack marched forward from a lineout and allow him to dot down to add to his try tally. In scoring a brace of tries in this game it allowed him to become the current top try scorer in the FOSROC Super6.

The hosts went further ahead five minutes later when number eight Blair Macpherson was able to crash over from short range, Thomson again adding the extra two points.

On the 65thminute Thomson added three more points to his tally and stretched the hosts further ahead from their visitors after a simple penalty goal kick.

Despite good attempts Stirling were unable to mount any significant attack that made them look like scoring and it would be the hosts who had the last say.

On the sound of the final hooter props Michael Scott and Ruairidh Sayce evaded County defenders and off-loaded quickly to find Macpherson. He was able to pass the ball out to winger Matt Davidson, who found fullback Ollie Smith on his left, he was able to run in fourth try of the match for the hosts and record an important bonus point win for the Ayrshire Bulls

FULL TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 30-8 Stirling County 

FOSROC Player of the Match: Sam Kitchen (Ayrshire Bulls)

Ayrshire Bulls: 15. Ollie Smith; 14. Tom Lewis, 13. Danny McCluskey, 12. Tom Jordan, 11. Matt Davidson, 10. Ross Thompson, 9. David Armstrong; 1. Gordon Reid, 2. Sam Kitchen, 3. Nicolas Griffiths, 4. Marshall Sykes, 5. Lars Morrice, 6. George Bordill, 7. Graham Geldenhuys, 8. Blair Macpherson CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Alex McGuire, 17. Michael Scott, 18. Ruairidh Sayce, 19. Fraser Hastie, 20. Gavin Wilson, 21. Harry Warr, 22. Frazier Climo, 23. Robbie Nairn

Stirling County: 15. Ewan MacGarvie; 14. Andrew McLean, 13. Robbie Kent, 12. Landon Hayes,11. Logan Trotter, 10. Andrew Goudie, 9. Caleb Korteweg; 1. Charlie Brown, 2. Rayner Kennedy CAPTAIN, 3. Murphy Walker, 4. Andrew Davidson, 5. Cameron Henderson, 6. George Arnott, 7. Matt Smith, 8. Adam Ashe

Replacements: 16. Bryce Robertson, 17. Adam Wood, 18. Fregus Bradbury, 19. James Pow, 20. Ollie Barlett, 21. Sean Kennedy, 22. Connor Gordon, 23. Euan Cunningham

Match report: Boroughmuir Bears v Watsonians 

Watsonians recorded their fifth win of the season in the FOSROC Super6 over city rivals Boroughmuir Bears to cement themselves at the top of the league and, in doing so, remain the only unbeaten side in the tournament.

The visitors opened the scoring in the second minute when Bears were penalised for playing the ball on the ground. Watsonians captain Lee Millar stepped up on the twenty-two-meter line and slotted it between the uprights.

Bears hit back five minutes later when hooker Johnny Matthews controlled the back of a rolling maul at a lineout, he splintered away and stretched out to get the ball over the line.

From a lineout, not far from the try line, the men from Myreside showed composure to play through the phases and Mesu Kunavula crashed over from short range, Millar adding the extra two points.

Not to be out done, Bears scored a try two minutes later. They were camped out defending on the ‘Sonians five meter line, Watsonians scrum half Ali Harris put in a box kick to attempt to get them out of danger but the tall figure of 6ft 10” Callum Atkinson was able to charge it down and pounce on it to secure the hosts second try of the game.

Just before the half time whistle Watsonians scored almost a carbon copy of their first try. This time it was prop Harrison Courtney who was able to force his way over the whitewash with Millar converting.

There was 12 minutes of add time in the first half in which Watsonians Jamie Hodgson was shown a yellow card for collapsing a maul. The hosts were able to capitalise on the man advantage with an almost identical score from their first. Johnny Matthews was able to control the maul from the back, this time having the advantage of his team-mates coming in behind time to help him drive over.

Half-time: Boroughmuir Bears 15-17 Watsonians 

It was Watsonians stand-off Milliar who got the visitors their first points in the second half. Bears were penalised for an infringement at the breakdown, referee Hollie Davidson brought the advantage back and Millar expertly slotted the ball between the posts.

The hosts showed quick hands when they were able to pass the ball out wide, centre Archie Russell drew his last defender to pass out to winger Glen Faulds who ran in the try on the outside to make it 20 points-a-piece.

There was a twenty-minute lull in scoring whilst both teams tried to find a way though, both defences holding up well until Boroughmuir were penalised and Millar was able to use his boot once again to stretch the visitors to a three-point lead.

Just before the final whistle, Watsonians were awarded a penalty from a Bears early engagement at a scrum on the hosts five-meter line.

The visitors number eight, Morgan Inness, took a quick penalty tap, passed out wide and winger Ruaraidh Smith was able to dive over the try line with Millar, once again, adding the extras.

Full-time: Boroughmuir Bears 20-30 Watsonians 

Boroughmuir Bears: 15. Martin Cimprich; 14. Cammy Gray, 13. Archie Russell, 12. Greg Cannie, 11. Glen Faulds, 10. Chris Laidlaw CAPTAIN, 9. Kyle McGhie; 1. Charlie Capps, 2. Johnny Matthews, 3. Dan Winning, 4. David Mejebeur, 5. Callum Atkinson, 6. Bruce Flockhart, 7. Scott McGinley, 8. Craig Keddie.

Replacements: 16. Toby Francombe, 17. Michael Downer, 18. Martin McGinley, 19. Ewan Stewart, 20. Aubrey Mncube, 21. Tom Wilson, 22. Rory Arthur, 23. Jack Steele.

Watsonians: 15. Jamie Forbes; 14. Lomond MacPherson, 13. Lewis Berg, 12. Andrew Chalmers, 11. Ruaraidh Smith, 10. Lee Millar CAPTAIN, 9. Ali Harris; 1. Harrison Courtney, 2. Cal Davies, 3. Nathan Borel, 4. Brian Leitch, 5. Jamie Hodgson, 6. Mesu Kunavula, 7. Connor Boyle, 8. Morgan Inness

Replacements: 16. Campbell Wilson, 17. Finn Hobbis, 18. Jonny Gibson, 19. Michael Badenhorst, 20. Harry Fisher, 21. Roan Frostwick, 22. Ewan Fox, 23. Angus Guthrie

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners