FOSROC Super6 – Round 7

FOSROC Super6 – Round 7

Match reports from the seventh round of the FOSROC Super6 as Watsonians hosted Ayrshire Bulls, Stirling County hosted Heriot's Rugby and Southern Knights hosted Boroughmuir Bears.

Watsonians v Ayrshire Bulls 

Watsonians Rugby won the top of the table clash against Ayrshire Bulls in convincing style at Myreside today.

The top two teams in the FOSROC Super6 were only separated by points difference going into today’s match but it was the Edinburgh side who put clear water between them in impressive all round performance.

Watsonians Rugby had locked horns with the Ayrshire Bulls before Christmas and suffered their first defeat of the campaign going down 19-13 at Millbrae.

The Bulls brought a strong team to Myreside including released Glasgow Warrior wing Lee Jones and featuring Ewan Davies, Aylan Schabort and Grant Anderson who saw their first involvement in the FOSROC Super6.

The west coast side hadn’t lost since the opening weekend to Heriot’s Rugby and had recorded wins on the road in 2019 versus Southern Knights and Stirling County, but they were held score-less in the second half and were punished for mistakes at key moments.

For their part Watsonians had only played two home fixtures in the competition so far beating local rivals Boroughmuir Bears and Stirling County before scoring three-tries to one against the Bulls.

The game started with a bang as the teams traded two almost identical tries in a two-minute spell which saw both defences exposed by strong back play on the firm track.

Watsonians took the lead with a searing break from centre Joe Reynolds who selflessly shipped a pass to winger Lomond Macpherson to finish. Lee Millar converted.

Almost immediately the Bulls responded with a similar score with full-back Ollie Smith breaking the line for winger Tom Lewis to touch down. Ross Thompson converted.

The first half saw the home side pin the Bulls back in their 22 as the visitors try to run out, but Watsonians applied consistent pressure, especially at the set-piece, leaving the Bulls struggling for territory and good possession.

The pressure forced a penalty on 22 minutes which the home side kicked to the corner and scored their second try from close range through Connor Boyle, Millar converted.

The Bulls closed the gap with a Ross Thompson penalty before the break.

Image by Graham Gaw

HALF-TIME: Watsonians 14-10 Ayrshire Bulls

The second half started with roles reversed as the hosts faced a series of Bulls attacks and were pinned in their own 22 to defend numerous phases.

But today’s victory was built on a resolute defence and once Watsonians pushed the Bulls back into their own half more points came their way.

A penalty for an off the ball tackle allowed Watsonians to kick to the Ayrshire 10m and another infringement at the subsequent lineout drew another penalty which was kicked to the corner as the hour mark approached.

From the next lineout Watsonians moved the ball into centre field for flanker Masu Kunavula to break the defence and deliver a neat off-load to replacement centre Lewis Berg in support to score.

Watsonians created more breathing space with two penalties in quick succession slotted by fly-half Lee Millar to take the score up to 27-10.

A bonus point try was denied with some strong defence by the Bulls on their own line, showing the character in the side as they pushed to the final whistle to claw the home side back, but on the day it wasn’t enough.

FULL-TIME: Watsonians 27-10 Ayrshire Bulls 

FOSROC Player of the Match: Roan Frostwick (Watsonians)

Referee: Graeme Ormiston

Watsonians: 15. Jamie Forbes; 14. Lomond Macpherson, 13. DJ Innes, 12. Joe Reynolds, 11. Angus Guthrie, 10. Lee Millar CAPTAIN, 9. Roan Frostwick; 1. Harrison Courtney, 2. Cal Davies, 3. Jack Stanley, 4. Michael Badenhorst, 5. Jamie Hodgson, 6. Mesu Kunavula, 7. Connor Boyle, 8. Morgan Inness

Replacements: 16. Campbell Wilson, 17. Sam Grahamslaw, 18. Jonny Gibson, 19. Kieran Watt, 20. James Miller, 21. Murray Scott, 22. Lewis Berg, 23. Ruaraidh Smith

Ayrshire Bulls: 15. Ollie Smith; 14. Tom Lewis, 13. Stafford McDowall, 12. Tom Jordan, 11. Lee Jones, 10. Ross Thomson, 9. David Armstrong; 1. Ruairidh Sayce, 2. Sam Kitchen, 3. Nicolas Griffiths, 4. Marshall Sykes, 5. Lars Morrice, 6. George Bordill, 7. Peter McCallum CAPTAIN, 8. Blair Macpherson.

Replacements: 16. Lewis Anderson, 17. Michael Scott, 18. Ewan Davies, 19. Fraser Hastie 20. Graham Geldenhuys, 21. Aylan Shabort, 22. Matt Davidson, 23. Grant Anderson.

Image by Graham Gaw

Stirling County v Heriot’s Rugby 

Heriot’s Rugby travelled to Stirling County in the second game of the FOSROC Super6 yesterday afternoon [Saturday] where they were able to put in a good second half performance to take four league points back to the capital.

The men from Goldenacre were first to open the scoring when Stirling County’s Jale Vakaloloma was penalised at the breakdown within their twenty-two. Heriot’s fullback Ross Jones stepped up and slotted the straightforward penalty in front of the posts.

Both teams had chances to attack in the first half but when Stirling County’s Sean Kennedy broke up the park from the half way line, it looked like the hosts may be able score however he was brought down by the Heriot’s defence, they turned it over turnover and kicked it out of play.

On the half hour mark Stirling secured the ball at the line-out and passed it out to their back line, they stretched their attack the full width of the pitch to find winger Ewan MacGarvie who was able to step inside the Heriot’s defence to score the first try of the match.

The hosts looked as though they would score again in this half when they crossed the whitewash for a second time, but it was Heriot’s openside flanker Jack McClean who was able to hold the ball up over the line.

HALF-TIME: Stirling County 5-3 Heriot’s Rugby

Image by Bryan Robertson

The opening of the second half emulated that of the first with Heriot’s were awarded a penalty. Ross Jones put the ball between the uprights and added the three point to their score to put Heriot’s in the lead for the first time in the game.

With twenty minutes gone in the second half the visitors kicked to the corner although it didn’t quite make touch. County collected the ball, but they were bundled out of play by the now Heriot’s defence.

From the lineout Heriot’s kept their composure and drove forward through every phase before centre, and FOSROC Player of the Match, Cameron Hutchison dived over the try line to extend the visitors lead.

Not to be out done, moments later Stirling County responded with another try. Heriot’s had attempted to kick the ball out of their twenty-two, but County second row Ollie Bartlett charged the ball down, collected it and ran in under the posts, stand-off Josh Henderson adding the extra two points.

With ten minutes left to play and only one point separating the two teams Heriot’s were awarded a penalty for not rolling away. County’s Henderson once again stood up and expertly put the ball between the uprights to extend the hosts lead to two points going into the final minutes of the game.

In a desperate attempt to get the visitors back in front Heriot’s Stuart Edwards attempted a drop goal from outside the twenty-two-meter line but it went wide of the posts. Had it of been successful he would have recorded the first drop goal of the FOSROC Super6.

With three minutes left on the clock it looked as though the host would secure their second win of the season however they were awarded a penalty of being offside and Heriot’s Ross Jones once again stepped up and put the visitors back in front by one point with moments left to play.

Despite a good effort by Stirling County it was Heriot’s who were able to gain the win and secure third place in the FOSROC Super6 table.

FULL-TIME: Stirling County 15-16 Heriot’s Rugby 

FOSROC Player of the Match: Cameron Hutchison (Heriot’s Rugby)

Referee: Ian Kenny

Stirling County: 15. Bruce Sorbie; 14. Ewan MacGarvie, 13. Robbie Kent, 12. Landon Hayes, 11. Logan Trotter, 10. Josh Henderson, 9. Sean Kennedy; 1. Charlie Brown, 2. Reyner Kennedy CAPTAIN, 3. Murphy Walker, 4. Ollie Bartlett, 5. Cameron Henderson, 6. Jale Vakaloloma, 7. Connor Gordon, 8. Dean Taylor-Menzies.

Replacements: 16. Angus Fraser, 17. Adam Wood, 18. Fergus Bradbury, 19. James Pow, 20. Ross Bundy, 21. Caleb Korteweg, 22. Andrew Goudie, 23. Ollie Horne.

Heriot’s Rugby: 15. Ross Jones; 14. Rory McMichael, 13. Robert Kay, 12. Cameron Hutchison, 11. James Spencer, 10. Stewart Edwards, 9. Dan Nutton; 1. Chris Keen, 2. Ali Johnstone, 3. Dan Gamble, 4. Adam Sinclair, 5. Ronan Seydak, 6. Iain Wilson CAPTAIN, 7. Jack McClean, 8. Jason Hill.

Replacements: 16. Finlay Scott, 17. Andrew Nimmo, 18. Josh Scott, 19. Charlie Jupp, 20. Callum Marshall, 21. Andrew Simmers, 22. Jack Blain, 23. James Couper

Image by Bryan Robertson

Southern Knights v Boroughmuir Bears

The Southern Knights recorded the highest score in any FOSROC Super6 match so far when they scored 46 points against Boroughmuir Bears, who also were able to score four tries in a match full of action.

Scoring opened in the first minute when Bears were penalised for not rolling away, Knights stand-off Jason Baggott stood up and slotted it between the uprights.

The first try of the match came moments later when Knights scrum half Struan Hutchinson made a break up the middle of the park. The hosts remained composed, played through the phases and found winger, and FOSROC Player of the Match, Ciaran Whyte on the outside to score in the corner.

Whyte was able to add to his try tally again when Hutchinson collected the ball from the back of a maul. He put in a grubber kick, Whyte collected it on the 5m line and dived over the try line, Baggott adding the extra two points.

Boroughmuir got their first score of the game on the twenty-minute mark when the hosts were penalised for being offside. Scrum half, and Scotland U20 squad member, Kyle McGhie kicked the penalty from right in front of the posts.

The hosts responded five minutes later when Bears were penalised at the scrum, Baggott slotted the ball between the posts from just left of the centre mark.

Just outside the 22m Hutchinson took a quick tap penalty, Knights showed their composure to work their way up field and it was Grant Shiells who was able to crash over the line with Baggott adding a successful conversion.

With the clock ticking down to the half-time whistle Bears restarted the game, Knights secured the ball at the breakdown and passed back to Baggott to clear. Boroughmuir Bears winger Jordan Edmunds charged down his kick, chipped the ball ahead and scored Boroughmuir’s first try of the game with McGhie adding the conversion.

HALF-TIME: Southern Knights 25-10 Boroughmuir Bears

Bears came out of the changing rooms in the second half knowing that they needed a good performance if they were to return to Edinburgh victorious.

From a lineout, four minutes into the half, Bears inside centre Greg Cannie danced his way through numerous Knights tackles, fended off two more for good measure and ran in the visitors second try of the game.

Fraser Renwick was able to get on the scoreboard when he controlled the driving maul at the back of a Knights lineout. The maul got moving and he was able get over the line for the Knights bonus point try with Baggott adding a further two points with a successful conversion.

After receiving some treatment for an ankle injury Mesu Dolokotu was able to play on and score the Bears third try of the game when he dived over the try line, McGhie once again adding the conversion.

With ten minutes to go there was still more action to be had, Knights has a scrum just outside the 5m line. From the set piece, replacement winger Tom Galbraith came off his wing and showed great power and pace to crash through the Bears defence and score yet another try for the hosts, with Baggott adding the two extra points on offer.

With moments left on the clock the Bears were 17 points down, they threw everything at closing that deficit. When they played the ball up the park, centre Ronan Kerr made an important break to allow the ball to be quickly recycled to find Glen Faulds who threw a back handed off load to Cammy Gray was able to finish strongly in the corner.

However, it was Knights who had the final say. Fraser Renwick scored an almost identical score from his first try earlier in the match, he was able to secure the ball at the back of the maul and dot the ball down over the try line, with Jason Baggott once again adding the conversion.

FULL-TIME: Southern Knights 46-27 Boroughmuir Bears

FOSROC Player of the Match: Ciaran Whyte (Southern Knights)

Referee: Finlay Brown

FULL-TIME: Southern Knights 46-27 Boroughmuir Bears

Southern Knights: 15. Fraser Thomson CAPTAIN; 14. Ciaran Whyte, 13. Joe Jenkins, 12. Gavin Wood, 11. Patrick Anderson, 10. Jason Baggott, 9. Struan Hutchinson; 1. Grant Shiells, 2. Russell Anderson, 3. Ewan Mcquillan, 4. Dalton Redpath, 5. Angus Runciman, 6. Ruaridh Knott, 7. Dylan Taylor, 8. Neil Irvine-Hess.

Replacements: 16. Fraser Renwick, 17. Conor Young, 18. Shaun Gunn, 19. Calum Crookshank, 20. Alan Gregory, 21. Bruce Colvine, 22. Thomas Galbraith, 23. Michael Mvelase-Julyan

Boroughmuir Bears: 15. GlenFaulds; 14. CammyGray, 13. RonanKerr, 12. GregCannie, 11. JordanEdmunds, 10. ChrisLaidlawCAPTAIN, 9. KyleMcGhie; 1. AP McWilliam, 2.GeorgeShannon,3.Dan Winning, 4.Ewan Stewart, 5.Tom Drennan, 6.Gregor Brown, 7.Scott McGinley, 8.Craig Keddie.

Replacements: 16. Mesu Dolokotu,17. Michael Downer, 18.Ryan Montgomery, 19.Will Inglis,20. Matt Walker, 21.Murray Johnstone, 22.Martin Cimprich, 23.Robbie McCallum.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners