FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series Review of the Round | Play-off 2

FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series Review of the Round | Play-off 2

In the second weekend of play-offs in the FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series Ayrshire Bulls hosted Watsonians and Southern Knights hosted Heriot's Rugby.

Friday 3 June: Ayrshire Bulls v Watsonians

The visitors opened the scoring on the 22nd minute when they got their maul moving and Kunavaula secured the ball down over the line, Millar added the conversion.

They earned their second try of the afternoon when McPherson used his pace on the outside to dot it down with Miller adding the conversion once more.

In the last play of the half, Millar added a penalty from 25metres out to their tally.

HALF-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 0-17 Watsonians

Karl Main crashed over in-between the posts to open the scoring for the visitors in the second half, with Miller adding the conversion.

It wasnt until the 73rd minute that Bulls got their first score of the evening when the ball was passed out wide to winger Thomas Glendinning who cut inside to score under pressure. Tom Jordan added the conversion.

Only three minutes later Jordan chipped the ball over the top of the defence, he collected it himself and passed out to Finn Callaghan who finished in style to put the Bulls back in the game with Jordans conversion.

Into extra time Bulls won the shove at the scrum, they shipped it wide to allow Glendinning to run in for his second of the evening with another conversion by Jordan.

FULL-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 21-24 Watsonians

Referee: Ross Mabon

FOSROC Super6 Player of the Match: Lomond McPherson (Watsonians)

Ayrshire Bulls: Thomas Glendinning (2), Finn Callaghan
Watsonians: Masu Kunavaula, Lomond McPherson, Karl Main

Ayrshire Bulls: Tom Jordan (3)
Watsonians: Lee Millar (3)

Watsonians: Lee Millar

Saturday 4 June: Southern Knights v Heriot’s Rugby

Southern Knights rounded off their FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series campaign with a first win, as they overcame Heriot’s Rugby 19-14 in the basking sunshine at the Greenyards.

The first half was short of scores but not of action. Both teams had chances, but both defences held firm.

That was until the 30th minute, when Fraser Renwick broke from a driving maul and was tackled just short, and Allan Ferrie burrowed over from close range.

Half time: Southern Knights 7-0 Heriot’s Rugby

The game burst into life in the 49th minute as Knights scored a brilliant counter attack try. Robbie Chalmers gathered a loose ball just outside his own 22, and after making it into the Heriot’s half himself he passed to Aidan Cross on the right wing, who dashed to beat the recovering defenders to the line before putting the ball down under the posts.

A second outstanding try, Knights’ third overall, was scored just three minutes later. Nathan Chamberlain dropped a pass behind him, but scooped it up and found a hole in the defence to run it in from 60 metres.

Heriot’s then began a comeback. After a driving maul, Iain Wilson broke loose and caught the Knights’ defence off guard to score on the right side.

Then the visitors got within a score as Cameron Hutchison found a gap in midfield and passed to Zack Smith on his shoulder.

Heriot’s spent the last few minutes of the game camped inside the home side’s 22, but Jacob Henry gathered a loose ball and started a sweeping move that almost saw Knights go the length. But Nathan Chamberlain knew to take the win and booted the ball into a delighted home crowd.

Full time: Southern Knights 19-14 Heriot’s Rugby

Referee: Michael Todd

FOSROC Player of the Match: Sam Derrick (Southern Knights)

Southern Knights: Allan Ferrie, Aidan Cross, Nathan Chamberlain
Heriot’s Rugby: Iain Wilson, Zack Smith

Southern Knights: Nathan Chamberlain (2)
Heriot’s Rugby: Charlie Savala (2)

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners