National Schools Cup Finals 2023 | Match Reports

National Schools Cup Finals 2023 | Match Reports

Match reports will be made live on this page throughout the day. Highlights from each game will be available on Friday 8 December at 12pm via

U16 Shield: Hutcheson’s Grammar School v Fettes College

Hutcheson’s Grammar School ran out 35-22 victors in an entertaining first game of the National Schools Cup Final day.

The Glasgow side were deserved victors after controlling large periods of the match and coming back from 12-0 down.

It was Fettes’ captain Glen Gammell who opened the scoring with a sensational individual effort within 10 minutes. Picking the ball up on the touchline he showed great strength to outmuscle the opposition before embarking on a run from halfway and converting the try himself.

Hutcheson’s spent large spells of the first half in the opposition’s 22 but their profligacy proved fatal as Fettes made it 12-0 after 16 minutes when Isaac Buchanan bundled over.

A matter of minutes later Hutcheson’s made their possession count when they scored under the sticks through Hamish Cornell to reduce the deficit to five and begin their comeback.

From the kick-off, Hutcheson’s put Fettes’ line under siege and Ben McCracken scored a converted try to give his side a 14-12 lead.

HALF-TIME: Hutcheson’s Grammar School 14 – 12 Fettes College

At the start of the second period Fettes’ started well but their momentum was curtailed when captain Glen Gammell was issued with a yellow card.

Moments later, after 44 minutes, Hutcheson’s increased their lead through Zander Summerhill when they touched down in the corner, making it 19-12.

Player of the match Summerhill was a threat for Hutcheson’s throughout and he burst down the left wing after 53 minutes to make it 24-12.

Hutcheson’s began to control the scoreboard and Ben McCracken crossed two minutes later to make it 29-12 as the Glasgow side streaked into the lead.

Fettes were quick to respond when Lennan Robertson dived over in the corner to make it 29-17.

Hutcheson’s regained their composure though and a penalty from Oliver Brown increased their lead. Fettes were unrelenting and pegged the score back to 32-22 through a Jamie Bruce try as the match drew to a close but in the last minute Oliver Brown sealed the win with a long distance kick from in front of the posts.

FULL-TIME: Hutcheson’s Grammar School 35-22 Fettes College

Hutcheson’s Grammar School

15. Fin Neilson 14. Ruaridh Datta 13. Murray Waugh 12. Gregor Sloan 11. Zander Summerhill 10. Oliver Brown 9. Ben McCracken 1. Elliot Hendry 2. Zack Ronald 3. Zak Mohammad 4. Harry Gilmour 5. Rory McQuilken 6. Struan Finlayson CAPTAIN 7. Hamish Cornell 8. Ibrahim Ashraf

Replacements: 16. Aishan Dollewatta 17. Max Tait 18. Michael Lenagh 19. Liam Yeates 20. Felix Taylor 21. Reuben Biswas

Fettes College

15. Glen Gammell CAPTAIN 14. Henry Agius 13. Rory Wood 12. Oliver Armstrong 11. Arthur Williams 10. George Muddiman 9. Henry Lynch 1. Yakov Kotov 2. Jamie Bruce VICE-CAPTAIN 3. Lennan Robertson 4. Isaac Buchanan 5. Elliot MacKay 6. Seth Jenkins 7. Boris Taylor-Smith 8. Harry Johnston

Replacements: 16. William Clark 17. Rory Russell 18. Archie Strachan 19. Jonty Wilson 20. Tommy Burnett of Leys 21. Angus Mo 22. Tom Masson

Player of the Match: Zander Summerhill (Hutcheson’s Grammar School)

Referee: Gordon Galashan
AR 1: Johnathan Cockayne
AR 2: Allana Mclean

U16 Bowl: Queen Victoria School v Lenzie Academy

Watch Highlights.

Both sides looked a tad nervous in the opening exchanges as Lenzie Academy enjoyed territorial advantage, which was well contained by Queen Victoria School (QMS).

It was Lenzie who would make the first attacking foray, Craig Alexander making good ground on the right wing before fellow wing James Borland did likewise.

In the 10th minute, Lenzie broke the deadlock thanks to a fabulous solo score by Jamie Hardie, who scythed through the QMS defence before converting his own try.

QMS almost hit back with their own piece of magic, as full-back Duncan Stephen slalomed his way past a number of defenders before being brought down.

Lenzie extended their lead with three from the boot of Hardie after an offside call but QMS hauled themselves back into it, and how.

A cute grubber from stand-off Pauliasi Qalobulawasaikabara was raced onto by Cameron Leonard, who finished with aplomb from 30m out. Qalobulawasaikabara converted to reduce arrears to 10-7.

Lenzie steadied themselves and scored a second try when hooker Scott Home burrowed over from close range, before a late Qalobulawasaikabara penalty ended the half.

HALF-TIME: Queen Victoria School 10–15 Lenzie Academy

QMS started the second period the brighter of the sides but could not convert pressure into points, Qalobulawasaikabara’s penalty drifting wide 14 minutes into the half.

However, the Dunblane school forged ahead for the first time when openside flanker Taylor Morrison-Smith bundled his way over the line, with Qalobulawasaikabara converting for a two-point advantage.

The to-and-fro continued when Hardie landed his second penalty goal, Lenzie a point to the good at 18-17 with 50 minutes on the clock.

The game slowed the more tense it got but when Lenzie rolled over for a third try through captain Harvey Preston, and Hardie converted, it was an eight-point game with only a couple of minutes left to play.

QMS tried to engineer an attacking platform from a scrum around halfway but it was Lenzie who thrilled their supporters at the last, full-back Callum Murray racing home to put gloss on an excellent U16 Bowl final.

FULL-TIME: Queen Victoria School 17–32 Lenzie Academy

Queen Victoria School

15. Duncan Stephen 14. Maxwell Charlesworth-Smith 13. Cameron Leonard 12. Leo Rees 11. Liam Melville 10. Pauliasi Qalobulawasaikabara 9. Ron Gurung 1. Nathaniel Bainitabua 2. Zach Gordon 3. Sudhir Gurung 4. Archie Mcculloch 5. Rory Rennie 6. Oliver Hobern 7. Taylor Morrison-Smith 8. Philip Draunidalo

Replacements: 16. Lewis Ferguson 17. Tobias Campbell 18. Ryan Andrews 19. Zac Wilson 20. Charlie Meikle 21. Michael Haigh 22. Evan Clarke

Lenzie Academy

15. Callum Murray. 14. James Borland 13. Lewis McGhee 12. Jamie Hardie 11. Craig Alexander 10. Brodie Forrest 9. Torin Choudhrey 1. Max Morrison 2. Scott Home 3. Aaryn Price 4. Alex Lang 5. Lucas McAdam 6. Callum MacInnes 7. Harvey Preston CAPTAIN 8. Robbie Traynor

Replacements: 16. Finley Sinclair 17. Logan Burns 18. Dominik Mydlowski

Player of the Match: Jamie Hardie (Lenzie Academy)

Referee: Simeon Dewi
AR 1: Walter Gaffney
AR 2: Willie Anderson

U18 Shield: High School of Dundee v Dollar Academy 

Dollar Academy walked away victorious at the U18 Sheild Final this afternoon with a 14-point victory over High School of Dundee.

As the match got underway inside the bowl at Scottish Gas Murrayfield, an early penalty to High School of Dundee saw David Barrie’s kick soar through the posts and the boys in navy took an early lead.

Dundee extended their lead at the ten-minute mark after an impressive sprint from Fraser Doig got him to the five-metre line where he offloaded to winger James Westwood who crashed over the try line. Extras were missed.

After a slow start, Dollar Academy found their stride as they pushed their way into Dundee’s 22. A Dundee fumble presented the opportunity for a penalty kick to touch and skipper Rory Purvis took full advantage as he thundered over the line. A successful conversion by Angus Crockett narrowed the gap on the scoreboard.

Dollar got their second try quickly after following a break from the centres which allowed number 9 Fraser Keatch to gather from the back of the ruck and squeeze through the defence. Crockett secured the conversion again.

An impressive breakaway from Dollar’s fullback Angus Crockett from the half metre line saw him leave all the Dundee players in the dust as he grounded the ball over the line for their third try. Crockett converted his own try as the ball hit the posts on the way through.

A successful penalty for Dollar saw Crockett’s golden boot prove successful once again and they extended their lead by another three-points.

It was a case of deja-vu for Dollar as Bobby Shearer replicated Crockett’s try from earlier as he too sprinted from over the half way line. Extras were added.

Dundee secured a last minute try as the first half came to a close when Euan Clarke thundered towards the line, slipping through the defence in the corner. A short jog from Clarke to dot the ball down closer to the posts made for an easy conversion as they entered the break.

HALF-TIME: High School of Dundee 15 – 29 Dollar Academy

A yellow card was drawn for Dollar’s Rory Purvis, however, they were able to stand firm in their defence and didn’t let the absence of their captain slow them down. Dollar opened the scoring after a successful offload from Max Garry to Kieran Pritchard presented the opportunity for their first try of the second half. Conversion went wide.

Dundee closely followed Dollar’s opening try with one of their own as David Barrie slipped through the defence as he crashed over the whitewash. Extras were missed.

Dollar retaliated quickly for their sixth of he match as they executed a flawless play which sent James Ritched over the line for the try. Crockett’s conversion was successful.

Dundee made one last attempt for the try line in the closing minutes of the game as winger Euan Clarke dashed down the sidelines to secure one final try for the side. Extras were missed and the game came to a close with Dollar Academy walking away with the victory.

FULL-TIME: High School of Dundee 25 – 41 Dollar Academy

High School of Dundee
15. Ollie Martins De Silva 14. Euan Clarke 13. Fergus Hargreaves 12. Jock Smith 11. James Westwood 10. David Barrie 9. Euan Waddel 1. Gregor Byers CAPTAIN 2. Hamish Lowrie 3. Kier Chalmers 4. Aiden Samson 5. Cam Gray 6. Fraser Doig 7. Matthew Fryer 8. Ben Harris

Replacements: 16. Jaydan Wallace 17. Alfie Whitton 18. Josh Layton 19. Robin van der Kuyl 20. Andrew Lowdon 21. Jamie Leslie-Melville 22. Adam Brown

Dollar Academy
15. Angus Crockett 14. Max Garry 13. Rio Arbuckle 12. Adam Howat 11. Jonathan Lawrence 10. Ross Powell 9. Fraser Keatch 1. Angus Wright 2. John Hulme 3. James Ritchie 4. Ben Smallwood 5. Jamie Emslie 6. Rory Purvis CAPTAIN 7. Kieran Pritchard 8. Daniel Riley

Replacements: 16. Marley Haston 17. Angus Lumsden 18. Ethan Moore 19. Ollie Felton 20. Bobby Shearer 21. Stuart MacKay 22. Troye Allchin

Player of the Match: Fraser Keatch (Dollar Academy)

Referee: John Smith
AR 1: Cameron Derrett Moore
AR 2: Gordon Galashan

U16 Plate: Dunbar v Lomond & Helensburgh

Watch Highlights.

Dunbar lifted the under-16s plate in a convincing 50-0 win over Lomond & Helensburgh. The victors started the match strongly and were ruthless in their finishing.

After just four minutes the scoring began through Isaac Anderson following a period of extensive pressure.

Just one minute later Aidan Smith broke free from defenders and had a clear run towards the line with Player of the Match Coel Pettet slotting the conversion to give Dunbar a commanding 12-0 lead.

After 11 minutes Dunbar’s Andrew Millar benefited from a well worked line out and dashed over the whitewash to lead 17-0.

After 31 minutes, Aidan Smith scored his second try when he strode through the heart of the Lomond & Helensburgh defence from eight metres out to touch down. It was converted to make it 24-0.

Just before the break, Dunbar capped off an impressive first half with another converted try, through Coel Pettet making it 31-0.

HALF-TIME: Dunbar Grammar School 31-0 Lomond & Helensburgh

The second half followed a similar theme to the first with Lomond & Helensburgh forced to defend for long periods and with six minutes into the half Dunbar made it 36-0 when the ball was spread wide and Mackenzie Ramage dotted down.

Callum Ross made it 43-0 and by 46 minutes Aiden McNels ran through the defence and made it 50-0 thanks to the conversion from Coel Pettet.

Due to competition rules and a prior agreement between both teams, the scoring ceased at 50-0 with Dunbar winning the match and lifting the shield. The match then continued as a friendly.

FULL-TIME: Dunbar Grammar School 50-0 Lomond & Helensburgh

Dunbar Grammar School

15. Sandy Russell 14. Isaac McNally 13. Callum Ross 12. Aidan Smith 11. Mackenzie Ramage 10. Coel Pettet CAPTAIN 9. Isaac Anderson 1. Hamish Mainstone 2. Aiden McNelis 3. Theo Foster 4. Archie Leckie 5. Prentice Davie 6. Archie Rettie 7. Andrew Millar 8. Logan Divers

Replacements: 16. Aaron Pawlowski 17. Finlay Paterson 18. Murray Calder 19. Lewis Thomson 20. Lee Courtney

Lomond & Helensburgh

15. Samuel Devlin 14. Jake Atterbury 13. Luke Gibrat 12. Tom Mclearn 11. Sean Wight 10. Adam Reaney 9. Wiliam Doyle CAPTAIN 1. Lee Matthew 2. Peter Low 3. Abdul Hameed Mohammed 4. Charlie Ward 5. Josh van Impe 6. Oscar Fury-Harland 7. Cameron Boswell 8. Taelor Smith

Replacements: 16. William Mackay 17. Angus Caldwell 18. Calum Hall 19. Euan Bakker 20. Tom Matthews 21. Joseph Gonzaga 22. Harris Mclean

Player of the Match: Coel Pettet (Dunbar)

Referee: Lee McWhinnie
AR1: Sean Mallon
AR2: Willie Anderson

U16 Cup: George Watson’s College v Stewart’s Melville College

George Watson’s College won the U16 Cup with a battling 26-21 win over Stewart’s Melville College, with the lead changing hands throughout in a well-fought contest.

Watson’s took the lead in the 7th minute, having had much of the early territory. A tap and go penalty five metres out was carried in by the forwards, and a phase later Lewis King did just enough to reach the line.

But the lead last just three minutes, as James Dalrymple was fastest to react to a loose ball over the line, diving on it to bring his school level.

In a tense first half where both teams looked nervous and desperate not to lose, it was Watson’s who hit the front again and the brink of half time. An excellent long-distance run in from Oliver Beresford-Jones up the right side got him over the line from inside his own half.

HALF-TIME: Stewart’s Melville College 7 – 12 George Watson’s College

Four minutes after the interval, Stew Mel pulled ahead. A driving maul on the left flank slowly manoeuvred towards the line, and it was Ronan Tierney who grounded the ball at the back. Calum Jessop’s conversion gave them a two-point lead.

But within two minutes the lead changed hands again. It was a second for the lightning-quick Beresford-Jones, who motored clear up the right touchline once more to put Watson’s back in front.

Stewart’s Melville managed to drive a maul over the line again in the 50th minute, this time on the right, but on this occasion George Watson’s held the ball up over the line and were awarded the goal line dropout.

The driving maul did prove fruitful a second time in the 53rd minute, back on their trusty left. This time it was Robert Ferguson who grounded the ball, and Jessop’s conversion again gave them a two-point lead.

It looked like Watson’s had hit back straight away again, but this time it was Stew Mel’s turn to hold the ball up over the line and exit.

The lead did change hands again with ten minutes to go, with the Watson’s forwards putting in the hard graft from a lineout on the right. The ball was kept tight for several phases before Brodie Wright wrestled his way over.

With the last play, Stewart’s Melville built from inside their own half to within five metres, but George Watson’s turned the ball over and then won the penalty to seal the win.

FULL-TIME: Stewart’s Melville College 21 – 26 George Watson’s College

Player of the Match: Oliver Beresford-Jones (George Watson’s College)

Stewart’s Melville College

15. Guy Hamilton 14. Josh Penny 13. Zach Mathieson 12. Calum Jessop 11. Leo Munro 10. James Healy 9. Arthur Le Sueur 1. Robert Ferguson 2. Callum Cameron CAPTAIN 3. Finlay McLean 4. Ciaran Geddes 5. James Dalrymple 6. Charlie Edwards 7. Ronan Tierney 8. Angus Abel

Replacements: 16. George Rhodes 17. Arran Terrell 18. Gregor Bailey 19. Reuben Kretzschmar 20. Cameron McCallum 21. Hugo Welsh 22. Oscar Forrest

George Watson’s College

15. Ewan Johnston 14. Oliver Beresford-Jones 13. Rory Dall 12. Luca Anderson 11. Callum Lee 10. Angus Robson 9. Harry Charman 1. Rory Tait 2. Blair Kinghorn 3. Alastair Loudon 4. Aaron Loukes 5. Tomos Dixon 6. Daniel Sutherland 7. Lewis King 8. Rueben Philp CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Daniel Milligan 17. Oliver Stones 18. Brodie Wright 19. Richie White 20. Max Finlay 21. Gavin Simon 22. Hamish Turner

Referee: Fergus Hollins
AR1: Rob McDowell
AR2: Digby Thomas


U18 Bowl: Dalkeith RFC v Musselburgh Youth

Watch Highlights.

After a successful line out just shy of the five meter line, Musselburgh earned the first try of the evening when Logan Kerr crashed over the whitewash. Robbie Reid’s boot was good, earning the full points.

Shortly after, Musselburgh added their second score through a powerful shift from the forwards to allow prop Jack Marr to dive over the line.

A fantastic series of offloads through multiple Musselburgh players let the ball eventually land into the hands of Rhys Finlayson on the wing who dotted down in the corner.

Dalkeith were building momentum close to the try line but play had to be stopped as they were nearing an injury. After the injury was cleared, Dalkeith picked up from where they left off and Finlay Maclure squeezed the ball into the corner to bring his team up five points.

HALF-TIME: Dalkeith 5 – 24 Musselburgh Youth

Musselburgh winger Gregory Horgan made a dash up the line and almost scored but was pushed into touch by Dalkeith’s Fraser Donnelly. This resulted in a Musselburgh scrum which proved fruitful for the boys in blue as Logan Kerr crashed over for his second try of the evening. The conversion was good from Robbie Reid.

Almost immediately after, Musselburgh’s fifth try came through a back hand offload from Alistair Dunn to Cameron Docherty who was over the line.

After a short period of injury time, play resumed in Musselburgh’s favour. It was a quick tap and go from Bailey Buchan that allowed the stand-off to slip past the defence and add his name to the scoreboard. Robbie Reid once again added the extras.

Dalkeith displayed plenty of rugby rizz and added their second try after a successful line out which let the team form a heavy driving maul and drove Blair Newton over the whitewash.

The final score of the evening came for Dalkeith in quick succession when Finlay Maclure secured his second try of the evening. Fraser Donnelly secured the extras.

FULL-TIME: Dalkeith 17 – 36 Musselburgh Youth

Player of the Match: Logan Kerr (Musselburgh Youth)


15. Kenzie Burnett 14. Lewis Bourke 13. Richard Smith 12. Fraser Donnelly 11. Oliver Reid 10. Finlay Maclure 9. Braden Smith 1. Harvey Mitchell 2. Struan McIntosh 3. Connor Thomson 4. Ben Inglis 5. Christopher Gordon 6. Leon Rose 7. Junior Davie 8. Arran Ferguson CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Rhys Chapman 17. Louie Sharp 18. Kenzie Doctor 19. Blair Newton 20. Nathan Orsi 21. Cameron Scott 22. Aaron Cummings

Musselburgh Youth

15. Cole McLeod 14. Gregory Horgan 13. Robbie Reid 12. Cameron Docherty 11. Rhys Finlayson 10 Bailey Buchan VICE-CAPTAIN 9. Charlie Prentice 1. Gavin Fisher 2. Jason Talac CAPTAIN 3. Jack Marr 4. Alistair Dunn 5. Warrick Murray 6. Logan Kerr 7. Charlie Devine 8. James Skinner

Replacements: 16. Zach Lumsden 18. James Taylor

Referee: Darren Fisher
AR1: Cameron Derrett Moore
AR2: Sean Mallon

U18 Cup Final: Stewart’s Melville College v George Watson’s College

National Schools Cup Finals day was concluded with a victory for George Watson’s College as they emerged victorious at Scottish Gas Murrayfield, claiming the title in a 21-42 battle against Stewart’s Melville College.

Watson’s were first to get on the board when Andrew Cameron successfully slotted his penalty between the sticks just four minutes into the game.

The boys in maroon and white were quick to capitalise on their start, and some five minutes later winger Fergus Ferguson darted his way down the left wing and across the line. The conversion was unsuccessful.

After some time camped inside Watson’s territory, Stewart’s Melville finally bagged their first points of the night on the 19-minute mark when Daniel Smith darted across the line from close range. Howie Offord converted successfully, taking them to within one point of Watson’s.

Watson’s didn’t take long to strike back. In the 22nd minute, winger Daniel Kelly took a soaring run to set up Nico Chapple perfectly to soar across the whitewash. Stand-off Andrew Cameron added the extras with the conversion.

Watsons’s added a third try to the scoresheet with Harrison Wood rumbling over from five metres out. The conversion was unsuccessful.

After applying pressure inside Stewart’s Melville’s 22, Watson’s were awarded a penalty with their opposition deemed offside. Cameron opted to line up for a penalty, and successfully added another three points to the board as the half-time whistle was blown.

HALF-TIME: Stewart’s Melville College 7 – 23 George Watson’s College

It took some 10 minutes for the first points in the second half to be scored with both sides defending well. But eventually George Watson’s came bursting through with Wood scoring his second try from just over 10 metres out. Cameron added the extras again.

After a tense back-and-forth in the following fifteen minutes, the crowd at Scottish Gas Murrayfield was treated to another try. As Watson’s encroached the 10-metre line, Cameron made a nifty chip over the head, and winger Daniel Kelly gathered to dot down across the line. Cameron added the extras.

A determined Stewart’s Melville began to make a comeback towards the final ten minutes of the match as they claimed their second try of the night, retaliating quickly from Watson’s previous score. A rolling maul from Stewart’s Melville couldn’t be stopped and replacement hooker, Connall Burns dotted down across the line. Offord converted successfully for an extra two points.

Soon after, with five minutes left of the clock, Stewart’s Melville were in for another, showing their grit to keep fighting. After sustained pressure from the restart, the boys in red began trundling down the right flank, where Jack Mayer darted across the line from close range for five points. Offord once again added the extras.

The final minutes on the clock were wound down quickly and the full-time score was concluded 21-42.

FULL-TIME: Stewart’s Melville College 21 – 42 George Watson’s College

Stewart’s Melville College

15. Hamish Limb 14. Struan Daly 13. Adam Munro 12. Ruaridh Cavin 11. Joel Bennett 10. Howie Offord 9. Lewis MacLeod 1. Peter Gilroy 2. Daniel Smith 3. James Page 4. Andrew Urmson 5. Sam Allan 6. Conall Stewart 7. Callum Robertson 8. Ben Gammie CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Taylor Gray 17. Jack Mayer 18. Evan MacDonald 19. Conall Burns 20. Mark Berroya 21. Felix Percy-Robb 22. Charlie Mayer

George Watson’s College

15. Jamie Thomson. 14. Daniel Kelly 13. Joshua Loukes 12. Harry Clark 11. Fergus Ferguson 10. Andrew Cameron 9. Alex Thomson 1. David Brown 2. Michael Connor CAPTAIN 3. Cole O’ Reilly 4. Nico Chapple 5. Lewis Kinnear 6. Innes McLaren 7. Michael McAndrew 8. Harrison Wood

Replacements: 16. Sandy Power 17. Rory Hamilton 18. Finlay Black 19. Sam Bundulis 20. Jack Sinclair 21. Ben Sharman 22. Duncan Maguire

Player of the Match: Harrison Wood (George Watson’s)

Ref: David Young
AR 1: Digby Thomas
AR 2: Fergus Hollin


Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners