National Youth Cup Finals 2022/23 | Match Reports

National Youth Cup Finals 2022/23 | Match Reports

Catch up on the action and results from across the day at BT Murrayfield and DAM Health Stadium.

U18 Boys Shield – Melrose Wasps v Ayr/Wellington – KO 11am, BT Murrayfield Back Pitch

Ayr/Wellington were the first to lift silverware at the National Youth Cup Finals, beating Melrose Wasps 7-36.

Ayr/Wellington were first on the board, scoring after 15 minutes with a driving maul from a line out, with hooker Fraser Carswell crossing the try line.

Ayr/Wellington came close to a second try, however Max McCorkindale was tackled into touch just metres from the line.

Continue pressure from the boys in green and pink, followed by a penalty took Ayr/Wellington within striking distance for a second try. With Melrose Logan Kerr shown a yellow card, the player mismatch opened up a gap for Ayr’s Jamie Mcaughtrie to score. A close range conversion secured by stand-off, Jack Craig, extended their lead.

In quick retaliation, Melrose utilised their forward pack to push their way into Ayr’s 22 before Andrew Kirk, co-captain of the Wasps, crashed over the line for five, with Rio Volpe narrowing the deficit after bagging the conversion.

HALF-TIME: Melrose Wasps 7 – 12 Ayr/Wellington 

The first score of the second half came quickly when the ball was nudged through Wasps’ defence by Ayr/Wellington, allowing Craig to pursue and nail down the ball on the try line.

Just as Kerr returned to the field, Melrose’s Archie Anderson was shown a yellow for a dangerous tackle. The boys in black and yellow were once again down to 14 players.

In the 55th minute, Ayr/Wellington claimed a fourth try as the backs pieced together pace and footwork from the half way line, with scrum-half Zain Smith finishing the job. Craig added the extras with the conversion sending them further in the lead.

Replacement scrum-half, Alexander Hay, was next to score, as he ran a support line with Daniel McKinlay, who broke through the defence with incredible pace. Craig checked off another conversion.

The final Ayr/Wellington score came from in their own 22, with a well-read intercept from Craig as he lit up the pitch with pace to get his second try of the match.

FULL-TIME: Melrose Wasps 7 – 36 Ayr/Wellington

Player of the Match: Daniel McKinlay (Ayr/Wellington)

Melrose Wasps: 15. Chris Carter 14. Jack Murray 13. McKenzie Power 12. Logan Kerr 11. Ewan Christie 10. Rio Volpe 9. Lochlan Rowley 1. Jay Johnston 2. Ali Renton 3. Andrew Kirk 4. Archie Anderson 5. Jack Murray 6. Rory Hamilton 7. Hamish Derrick 8. Dylan Cockburn CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Freddie Lilly 17. Dylan Oliver 18. Cameron Kirk 19. Onur Anderson 20. Craig Sullivan 21 Neilsen Donald 22. Joshua Wilson

Ayr/Wellington 15. Daniel McKinlay 14. Xander Shaw 13. Duncan Singh 12. Adam Doherty 11. Max McCorkindale 10. Jack Craig 9. Zain Smith 1. Jake Shearer 2. Fraser Carswell 3. Scott Rodden 4. Struan Duncan 5. Euan Doak 6. Callum Hamilton CAPTAIN 7. Jamie Mcaughtrie 8. Cameron Mcgill

Replacements: 16. Lyall Mcgawn 17. Joseph Mann 18. Cole Graham 19. Lewis Duncan 20. Ruaridh Hunter 21. Alexander Hay 22. Scott Cox

Click here for match highlights


Girls U18 Youth Cup: Edinburgh Harlequins v Stirling County RFC – KO 11am, BT Murrayfield Stadium Bowl

Stirling County retained their U18 Cup title on Saturday as they opened the National Youth Cup Finals Day with a win against Edinburgh Harlequins at BT Murrayfield.

A nervy start saw both teams suffer handling errors as they settled into the match. A strong break by Stirling County’s Hayley Messer generated the first meaningful attack and the ball came back inside to lock Charlotte Russell who set up hooker Aria Hannigan to crash over to open the scoring. Try converted by Freya MacColl.

Stirling County added more points to the scoreboard with Charlotte Russell scoring the second try for the club. Points added by Freya MacColl.

County tapped again with a hard carry from lock Molly Devlin and from the resulting ruck the ball went along the line, with fly-half MacColl involved twice, and the move was finished off by winger Rosalind Turnbull. Conversion Missed.

Multiple phases from the restart penalty saw County move the ball touchline to touchline, with full-back Mazzy Walker eventually scoring in the far corner. Conversion was missed.

Quins were competitive on the deck throughout but struggled to bring their backs into the game against a rush County defence.

Despite winning the scrum the ball was carried back into in-goal area and after a fumble under pressure it was touched down by County flanker Rebecca MacKenzie. MacColl’s conversion hit the post.

HALF-TIME: Edinburgh Quins 0 – 29 Stirling County RFC

County started the second half where they left off and generated early pressure with Nicole Flynn, securing the first try of the second half.  The conversion was missed.

Shortly after County were on the scoreboard again as Freya MacColl picked up a loose ball from the 10m line, breaking through the Quins defence to score under the posts. Freya converted her own try.

After a scrappy period in the Quins 22 the Edinburgh team won multiple penalties but couldn’t generate any territory into County’s half and the Stirling side struck again.

Nicole Flynn broke through the defence to score her 2nd try of the game after coming off the bench. Points added by Lucy MacRae.

Just two minutes later replacement hooker Eilidh Fleming carried hard through the Quins 22 to touch down. MacRae successfully converted again.

Harlequins had a final attack which saw them break into Stirling’s half but after a knock-on the referee Beatriz Casares Fernandez drew the game to a close.

FULL-TIME: Edinburgh Harlequins 0 – 55 Stirling County RFC

Player of the Match – Freya MacColl (Stirling County RFC)

Stirling County RFC: 15. Mazzy Walker 14. Rosalind Turnbull 13. Hollie Howland 12. Joy Fletcher 11. Hayley Messer 10. Freya MacColl CO-CAPTAIN 9. Nathalie Roy 1. Lauren McCulloch 2. Aria Hannigan 3. Mia Lidbetter 4. Charlotte Russell 5. Molly Devlin 6. Zoe Pike 7. Rebecca MacKenzie 8. Ella Gibbons

Replacements: 16. Eilidh Fleming 17. Maddi Harop 18. Lily-Grace Methven 19. Nicole Flynn 20. Lucy MacRae CO-CAPTAIN 21. Oliva Izon 22. Kady Grieve

Edinburgh Harlequins: 15. Demi Reid 14. Kimberly Hoggan 13. Abby Pringle 12. Saara Archer 11. Alanna Beetham 10. Ioanna Fouya 9. Adele Parkinson 1. Scarlett Crossan-Brown 2. Leigh-Ann Lawrie 3. Karly Conn 4. Ailsa Williamson 5. Ruby Dellal CAPTAIN 6. Rosie MacLennan 7. Carrie Gibson 8. Rebecca Watson

Replacements: 16. Neamh Connachan 17. Stroma Beukes 18. Wiktoria Wydro 19. Isebail McMullan-Gabbot 20. Nina Gale 21. Evie Smith

Click here for match highlights

U16 Boys Cup Final: GHA RFC v Ellon RFC – KO 1pm, BT Murrayfield Stadium Main Bowl

GHA emerged victorious in the Boys U16 Cup final, claiming the spoils 74-24 over Ellon.

GHA got the first points on the board though full-back Kieran Robinson, has he crossed the whitewash.

A second followed when GHA outside centre, Zac Darroch, made a break from half-way and then flew across the line. Ben MacDougall successfully converted.

Ellon with determination, retaliated as Liam Davis ploughed under the posts for a try. It was smooth sailing through the posts as Samuel Davidson converted.

Eager for more, Darroch stormed through for his second try in the 24th minute. Duncan Campbell made the conversion to keep the lead.

Hot on GHA’s heels, Ellon worked hard to open up some space to send captain, Malachy Mannion, soaring over the line for a well earnt try. Mannion topped up their points with the conversion.

Looking for more tries, Davis broke over the line in the far corner for GHA.

Not giving over, Ellon made themselves seen and battled through rucks before Dylan Jakemen got his name on the board, blundering over for another five points.

Darroch immediately returned the favour and scored his hat trick try near the posts for GHA. Campbell converted to round off the first half.

HALF-TIME: GHA RFC 31 – 19 Ellon RFC

There weren’t many minutes on the clock before GHA flanker Euan McGovern worked his way through the Ellon defence to get a try. The conversion was secured again by Campbell.

Ellon looked hungry for more as Jakemen carried over the line for his second try. Mannion’s conversion came close but ricochet off the posts.

GHA’s Darroch dived over the line to lock in his fourth try of the day. Campbell complemented with a successful conversion.

In quick succession, the GHA captain, Hamish Bruce rumbled over the line and under the posts for a try. Campbell once again added the extras

On a roll, and lapping up the atmosphere at BT Murrayfield, GHA racked up another try with Robinson getting his second try of the game.

Ellon continued to work hard and through their phases and this soon paid off as captain Bruce ploughed through to get another try deep in the corner of the pitch.

But again, GHA came back and their opposition and scored a further try, this time through Ben Hughes. The conversion was also successful.

One final try was scored by GHA, as Darroch pushed his way through the defence to down. Macdougall successfully converted and the full time whistle was blown.

FULL-TIME: GHA RFC 74 – 24 Ellon RFC

Player of the Match: Kieran Robinson (GHA)

Ellon RFC: 15. Samuel Davidson 14. Riley Hanton 13. Logan Andrew 12. Ryan Martin 11. Findlay Godsman 10. Malachy Mannion CAPTAIN 9. Liam Leiper 1. Jackson Rennie 3. Luke Brown 4. Madison-Jake Nicholas 5. Dylan Jakeman 6. John Paul Friel 7. Rasmus Brazier 8. Liam Davis

Replacements: 16. Kyle Nicol 17. Kane Webster 18. Fraser McHugh 19. Kieran Taylor 20. Konar Simpson 21. Leon McCullagh 22. Ruadnan Petrie

GHA RFC: 15. Kieran Robinson 14. Ben Hughes 13. Zac Darroch 12. Jamie Henderson 11. Ciaran Fitzpatrick 10. Ben MacDougall 9. Duncan Campbell 1. Brandon Carson 2. James Ratter 3. Fraser Faulds 4. Hamish Bruce CAPTAIN 5. Harry Brown 6. Johnny Robinson 7. Euan McGovern 8. Lloyd Moncrieff

Replacements: 16. Aidan Allan 17. Ryan Bennie 18. Robbie Brimwood 19. Euan Moore 20. Gordon Grant 21. Gregor Johnston CAPTAIN 22. Robert Morrison

Click here for match highlights

U18 Girls Shield Final – Tayside v Biggar RFC, KO 1pm, BT Murrayfield Back Pitch   

The Tayside vs Biggar U18 Shield Final was certainly a game of two halves, with Biggar going into the second half 29-7 up, and Tayside dominating the second half to eventually take the win, 41-29.

In the first half, Biggar consistently moved forward despite some scrappy play from both sides. Outside centre Freya Lejkowski shone in attack, running strong lines and offloading to Ella Baillie, who scored near the wing.

Tayside looked strong with ball in hand, but Biggar continued to do well winning turnovers. Biggar kicked and chased strongly, retaining the ball, and flyhalf Abigail Barrett scored.

Biggar turned the ball over from the restart, which eventually led to a scrum. From the base of the scrum, they shipped the ball out to Abigail Barrett who was out to the left, and scored to make it a brace for the flyhalf.

After some back-and-forth action, Biggar gave away a penalty from the ruck, which was quickly taken and scored through number centre, Rebecca Carroll. Grace Fraser’s conversion sailed through the sticks.

Biggar’s Barrett kicked her team into Tayside’s 22, and there was a spell of Tayside possession before yet another Biggar turnover. The ball sailed through hands and Eve McAleer scored under the posts. Freya Lejkowski’s conversion was successful.

Biggar’s next try scoring opportunity came from a lineout. Retaining the ball, some textbook hands through the back line, and a gap in defence allowed Barrett open space to storm up the pitch and score under the posts. Lejkowski successfully converted again.

There was some exciting action before halftime: strong Tayside ball carrying, another Biggar turnover, an almost-try, disallowed for a forward pass, and a fantastic break from Tayside’s number 8, Anna Suttie.

HALF-TIME: Tayside 7 – 29 Biggar RFC

Tayside came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders, and scored the first try of second half through Pheobe Lawson. The conversion was also successful.

Tayside were increasing in confidence and started strongly from the restart culminating in a try from Grace Mathers. The extras were added and the comeback was on.

Biggar had an unfortunate knocked on soon after the restart, and Tayside’s Suttie carried 30m from a pick-and-go situation, before Jocelyn Norrie powered through defence to score.

To level to score, Tayside’s Grace Mathers was next to score and it was suddenly anyone’s game.

Strong running game from Phoebe Lawson, who sailed across the white was saw Tayside take the lead for the first time.

A final try was on the cusp for Tayside as they made slow but steady work towards Biggar’s line, with Jocelyn Norrie eventually scoring near the posts. Rennie Guthrie-Dawber’s conversion was successful, and the final whistle blew.

FULL-TIME: Tayside 41 – 29 Biggar RFC

Player of the Match: Anna Lily Suttie (Tayside)

Biggar: 14. Rosie Dykes 13. Freya Lejkowski 12. Elise Knights 11. Ella Baillie 10. Abigail Barrett 9. Eve McAleer 1. Catriona Glennie 2. Cerrys Forrest CAPTAIN 3. Poppy Clarkson 4. Lucy Paton 5. Ellie Ritchie 8. Lana Bell

Tayside: 15. Isabella McDonald 14. Rennie Guthrie-Dawber 13. Pheobe Lawson 12. Rebecca Carroll 20. Niamh O’Reilly 10. Grace Fraser 21. Hannah Binnie 1. Lily Beaton 2. Isobel Greer 3. Jocelyn Norrie 4. Anna Beaby 17. Elizabeth Craig 19. Grace Mathers 5. Ellie-Jo Simpson 8. Anna Lily Suttie

Click here for match highlights

Girls U16 Youth Cup Final: Stirling County RFC v Biggar RFC – KO 3.30pm, BT Murrayfield Stadium Bowl

It was a quick start in the Girls U16 Youth Cup Final with Biggar’s Lisa Brown securing the first try of the match in the first 5 minutes, clearing a number of defenders in the process. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

Seeing a gap in Stirling’s defence line, Biggar’s speedy number 10, Poppy Mellanby charged through to score a second try for Biggar, before converting her own try.

Biggar’s momentum kept going with scrum-half Annabel Godfrey landing a try right under the posts, with Poppy Mellanby adding the extras.

Stirling’s attempts to break through Biggar’s defence were unsuccessful with the West outfit taking a 19-point lead going into halftime.

HALF-TIME: Stirling County 0 – 19 Biggar RFC

Biggar reopened the scores in the second half with Mellanby darting up the wing to secure the first points of the second half – conversion was missed.

The second half ebbed and flowed with both teams showing grit and determination but the Biggar players were able to push through once again. Dodging three of County’s players Biggar’s Mellanby scored her hat-trick leading into the final 10 minutes, she then successfully converted.

Biggar’s Lisa Brown charged through to gain her second try of the match with Mellanby once again adding the extras.

Stirling County broke through Biggar’s defence in the final minutes where Cailin Lardner scored the team’s first try of the match, conversion was missed.

Unfortunately, this was not enough to secure the win and Biggar have walked away with the title.

FULL -TIME: Stirling County 5 – 38 Biggar RFC

Player of the Match: Imogen Spence (Biggar RFC)

Stirling County RFC: 15. Scarlett Haddow 14. Kiera Forrest 13. Ella Crozier 12. Emily Sansom 11. Niamh MacGregor 10. Niamh MacGrgor 10. Emily Forsyth CAPTAIN 9. Charlotte Heathe 1. Ella Rae 2. Emma Anderson 3. Cailin Lardner 4. Daisy Morrison 5. Rebecca Wynne 8. Gemma Thomson

Replacements: 16. Sophie Scott 17. Phoebe Wicks 18. Sophie Lawrence 20. Mercedez Smith 22. Steph Antczak

Biggar RFC: 15. Eva Storie 14. Ruth Hynd 13. Lisa Brown 12. Emily Coubrough 11. Iona Kane 10. Poppy Melllanby 9. Annabel Godfrey 1. Natasha Kimm 2. Skye Cullen 3. Emma Logan 4. Ashley Court 5. Autumn MacDougall 8. Imogen Spence CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Ayla Miller 17. Elwyn Purves 18. Eilidh Kane 19. Grace Bartholomew

Click here for match highlights

U16 Boys Shield: Peebles RFC v Stirling County RFC – KO 3.30pm, DAM Health Stadium

Stirling County secured the U16 Boys Shield in a thrilling contest against Peebles at the home of Edinburgh Rugby, 29-45.

It was a bright start for Stirling County, as they claimed the first of the spoils in the opening five minutes when Layton Bryce darted across the line for a try. Stand-off Lewis Roskilly added the extras.

A second try followed quickly, this time through Daniel Casserly.

There was plenty of ambition from the Peebles side, and the showed glimpses of what could be done with ball in hand. With a bit of patience and persistence, they managed to get onto the scoreboard. Working through the phases, they trundled closer to the line, with Cameron Grant carrying across the line. Stand-off Rory McHaffie added the extras.

But Stirling’s response was strong, and some three minutes later the extended their lead with a try through Boyd Cooper. A close-range kick allowed Roskilly to convert with ease.

At the restart, County’s loosehead Jack Lister found himself sprinting down the pitch, deep into Peebles 22 before meeting the defence. Spotting a mismatch on the blind side, Bryce was able to sail through the gap for five. Roskilly once again converted.

HALF TIME: Peebles RFC 7 –  26 Stirling County RFC

Ready come back into the second half, Peebles attacked with intent and replacement prop, Archie Smellie powered over the whitewash. McHaffie’s conversion was good, and the deficit was reduced to eight points.

After a try scoring opportunity for County was held up by Peebles strong defence, a fifth try was scored by the red, white and black boys. After winger Andrew Lawrence hand-offed two defenders, the forward pack worked hard to carry, before play as take wide with Roskilly popping the ball to Bryce to dot across the line for a hat-trick. Roskilly converted with ease.

After sustained pressure inside Peebles 22, County extended their lead through Lister, who ran a powerful and hard line from about eight meters out, extending his arm over the line. The conversion sailed through for the extras.

Eager finish the final 10 minutes of the game on a high, Peebles worked hard to get back into Stirling’s half and winger Josh Duncan played an incredible part in doing that with a sprint that took him from inside their own 22 to 10 meters from the try line. After a series of well worked phases, and a penalty in favour to Peebles, a short drive across the line saw Oliver Kennedy contribute five points to the scoreboard.

Another try followed for Peebles after McHaffie made a break through the defence to once again take play within touching distance of a score. A penalty awarded to Peebles allowed for a tap and go taken quickly with captain Ruairidh Dougherty flying across the line, and the crowd were on their feet.

But County came back strong, ending their time at the DAM Health Stadium with a try from winger Andrew Lawrence.

Peebles were not ready to end things there, and came out the tracks running hot. Matthew Fardon darted and dashed between the defence before McHaffie came within a meter of scoring, but the scramble defence from County was good. However, Peebles soon claimed another try from close range through Grant, for a brace.

Despite the incredible finish, it wasn’t enough for Peebles and County took the U16 Boys Shield title.

FULL TIME: Peebles RFC 29 – 45 Stirling County RFC

Player of the Match: Jack Lister (Stirling County RFC)

Peebles RFC: 15. Findlay Boak 14. Murray Robertson 13. Matthew Farndon 12. Innes Cormack 11. Josh Duncan 10. Rory McHaffie 9. Ewan Miller 1. Lewis George 2. Kieran Ross 3. Oliver Kennedy 4. Aiden Hinks 5. Struan Hunter 6. Kyle Dickie 7. Ruairidh Dougherty CAPTAIN 8. Cameron Grant

Replacements: 16 Archie Smellie 17. Michael Darroch 18. Fraser McNeill 19. Calum Ross 20. Cody Rossin-Statham 21. Evan Drysdale 22. Tim Herd

Stirling County RFC:15. Arran Pollack 14. Danny MacKenzie 13. Robbie Truesdale 12. Logan Govan 11. Andrew Lawrence 10. Lewis Roskilly 9. Cameron Ainsworth 1. Jack Lister 2. Thomas MacKin 3. Gregor Strutt CAPTAIN 4. Callum Clayton 5. Aaron Nicol 6. Boyd Cooper 7. Daniel Casserly 8. Layton Bryce

Replacements: 16. Jonny MacAlpine 17. Finlay Brooks 18. Marcus Sinclair 19. Ale Crivelli 20. Jake Chambers 21. Callum Stanners 22. Lewis Robertson Jack

Click here for match highlights

Boys U18 Cup: Boroughmuir Rugby v Peebles RFC – 6pm KO, BT Murrayfield Stadium Main Bowl

Boroughmuir retained the Boys U18 Cup in a closely contested battle against Peebles RFC under the lights of the Scottish International stadium.

With a title defence on the line, Boroughmuir were keen to impress upon the crowd at BT Murrayfield the hunger they had to retain it, scoring inside two minutes of kick-off.

Well worked play from captain Gavin Lockhart took Boroughmuir into Peebles 22, before the forward pack carried for phases. Play was taken wide by Lockhart, reaching Lewis Bisset who was able to make a sympathetic pass to winger Luke Whitaker, who dotted down. Lockhart went on to convert.

Despite the following 10 minutes being dominated by Peebles, a turnover ball from Boroughmuir saw a quick shift to enable them to extend their lead. Strong backline attack following a solid scrum at half-way allowed centre Lewis Bisset to find a gap, race down the wing and score beneath the sticks. Lockhart once again converted.

Things began moving in a more positive direction for Peebles when they were awarded a penalty from half-way. A nudge to the corner from stand-off Ross Wolfenden, gave Peebles a lineout in the corner. After their maul was taken down, the ball was carried by flanker Kell Maciver who powered over for five points. The conversion was unfortunately wide.

Play stalled in the middle of the pitch with neither side able to gain much ground until an intercept took Boroughmuir within inches of the try-line, with prop Ben Malcolm finishing off the job from close range. Lockhart’s conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

HALF TIME: Boroughmuir Rugby 19 – 5  Peebles RFC

The opening 20 minutes of the second half was end-to-end action, including an incredible line break from Peebles’ Wolfenden and a near try-scoring opportunity for the boys in red and white, but strong defensive pressure from Boroughmuir saw them shut down.

Boroughmuir were awarded a penalty in the 55th minute, opting to kick for the posts, but the attempt fell short, and the score was unchanged.

Despite remaining camped out in Peebles’ territory, Boroughmuir struggled were unable to capitalise on their position, a credit to the Peebles defence.

However, in the dying moments of the game, a penalty awarded to Boroughmuir at close range allowed Lockhart the opportunity for three points. The ball sailed through the sticks as the clock turned red, and the Boys U18 Cup was once again won by Boroughmuir.

FULL TIME: Boroughmuir Rugby 22 –  5 Peebles RFC

Player of the Match: Gavin Lockhart (Boroughmuir)

Boroughmuir Rugby: 15. Jamie McCrae 14. Lewis Veitch 13. Lewis Bisset 12. Alexander Grohmann 11. Luke Whitaker 10. Gavin Lockhart CAPTAIN 9. Brodie Clark 1. Ben Malcolm 2. Zak Griffiths 3. Brodie MacGruer 4. Lewis Calder 5. Cameron Potter 6. Joe Sobery 7. Jared Visser 8. Aidan Barry

Replacements: Euan McGeoch 17. Ollie Blyth-Lafferty 18. Struan Calder 19. Cameron Gemmell 20. Ossian Hollins-Kirk 21. Caleb Thomson 22. Sam Webb

Peebles RFC: 15. Liam Forsyth 14. Cameron Boak 13. Callum Burnett-Godfree 12. James Hodgkiss 11. Louis Whyte 10. Ross Wolfenden 9. Alex Sellar (24) 1. Robbie Hardie 2. Ruairidh Smith 3. Aidan McDowell 4. Callum McRobert 5. Ollie Furness 6. Kell Maciver 7. Robbie Smellie 6. Ewan Hunter CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Ben White 18. Junior Burequele 19. Ruaridh Johnson 20. Andy Duncan 21. Max Maciver 22. James Thomson 23. Rio Bhatia

Click here for match highlights

Girls U16 Youth Shield Final: Dumfries Saints RFC v Murrayfield Wanderers FC – KO 6pm, DAM Health Stadium

Murrayfield Wanderers were strong out the gate as Niamh Waters sprinted up the wing putting the first points on the board with a try. The conversion was successful.

Following closely after was Wanderers Captain Eilidh McCulloch who successful evaded three players to touch down right between the posts. The extras were added by Niamh Waters.

Wanderers Niamh Waters added another try between the posts. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Dumfries Saints were determined in their attack and making advances against the Wanderers’ side but by are being met with an impenetrable defence.

Another quick turnaround for Wanderers and this time another five points was contributed by Madison Borthwick. The conversion was missed.

The girls in blue were quick off the mark again and another five points were added by full-back Alice Mason. Extras were missed.

Saints pushed into the Wanderers 22 ahead of the half time whistle and managed to secure their first points on the leader board from Zara Fisher. The conversion was missed.

HALF-TIME: Dumfries Saints RFC 5 – 27 Murrayfield Wanderers FC

It was a bright start to the second half for Wanderers’ Waters, as she scored in the first 30 seconds and successfully converted her own try.

Moments later, Wanderers’ Rihanna Connell flew up the wing but fell short just a metre from the try line. After a series of fast phases, side stepping into another try was Waters. The conversion was at a tricky angle but Waters converted again.

Another try follows in quick succession as Waters sprints from the halfway line to score her fifth try of the match, an impressive fleet for Waters as she has scored one try every two mins in the second half. Extras added by Waters herself.

Dumfries Saints began advancing into Murrayfield Wanderers territory but were being met with a strong defence. Captain Daisy McFegan managed to push through the wall of blue for a try. A successful conversion by Maison Dunn.

A final try was scored by Waters in the final minute to claim a double-hat trick, and on the whistle with extras added.

FULL -TIME: Dumfries Saints RFC 12 – 55 Murrayfield Wanderers FC

Player of the Match: Niamh Waters (Murrayfield Wanderers FC)

Dumfries Saints RFC: 15. Lucy Giles 14. Aggie Wright 13. Rebekah Hamilton 12. Arran Macaulay 11. Gabriella Hamlet 10. Maison Dunn 9. Daisy McFegan CAPTAIN 1. Emily Hyslop 2. Zara Fisher 3. Mirrin Kirkpatrick 4. Harriet Bowran 5. Mika Walls 8. Carla Nicholson

Replacements: 16. Mikella Burg 17. Mia Smith 18. Mikayla Larisma 19. Paige Magee 20. Madison Batey 21. Mirryn Fergusson 22. Ellen Menzies

Murrayfield Wanderers FC: 15. Alice Mason 14. Rihanna Connel 13. Anna Miller 12. Niamh Waters 11. Flora Kennedy 10. Kara Borthwick 9. Eilidh McCulloch CAPTAIN 1, Aaliyah Murray 2. Kyla Rae 3. Klervie Texier-Wighardt 4. Maddison Borthwick 5. Sam Brown

Replacements: 19. Amber Heavy 17. Rebecca Montgomery

Click here for match highlights

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners