Review of Round 4 | FOSROC Super Series

Review of Round 4 | FOSROC Super Series


Friday 17 May: Boroughmuir Bears v Heriot’s Rugby 
KO 7:35pm

Heriot’s kicked off the match under some evening sun at Meggetland. In the opening few moments of the game visiting winger Jack Blain barged is way over the line for the opening score of the game.

Bears captain Scott Robeson crashed over from short range to open the hosts scoring for the evening with Andy McLean adding the extra two points on offer before his Heriot’s counterpart Liam Richman kept driving forward to score in between the posts at the other end. Richman added his own conversion.

Bear’s scrum-half Ruairidh Swan nipped over for a cheeky score when Heriot’s second row Ronan Seydak was shown a yellow card, Swan burst through the gap the second row had left with McLean adding the extras.

From a lineout near the 22metre line, Heriot’s pulled off a lovely set-piece move which saw centre Angus Hunter burst through the defensive line and go over the whitewash with Richman adding the conversion.

Just before the half-time whistle the hosts scored again thanks to a lovely wide pass from Andy McLean to winger Max Wallace who scored on the outside to make the scores even.

HALF-TIME: Boroughmuir Bears 19-19 Heriot’s Rugby

Moments into the second half Seydak returned from his yellow card time-out to run a supporting line, collecting the ball from Blain who had made a break down the wing, to canter in for a try for the visitors.

Blain danced in for a second try of the evening when he evaded four defenders with the conversion by Richman successful.

The visitors extended their lead when number eight Jason Hill offloaded the ball in the tackle to find youngster Jack Hocking running at pace who scampered in for a try on his debut for the Goldenacre side, Richman added the conversion.

FULL-TIME: Boroughmuir Bears 19-38 Heriot’s Rugby

Referee: Ian Kenny
FOSROC Player of the Match: Jack Blain (Heriot’s Rugby)
Boroughmuir Bears: TRY
Scott Robeson, Ruairidh Swan, Max Wallace CON Andy McLean (2)
Heriot’s Rugby: TRY Jack Blain (2) Liam Richman, Angus Hunter, Ronan Seydak, Jack Hocking CON Liam Richman (4)
Heriot’s Rugby: Ronan Seydak


Saturday 18 May: Stirling Wolves v Watsonians
Kick off 3pm

A quick start for the Wolves saw centre Ryan Southern break past the Watsonians defence close to the line and dot down. Marcus Holden made the conversion.

It was a collective forwards effort for the Wolves’ second try of the afternoon in the 27th minute that heaved Ruaridh Knott over the line.

Just after the 36 minute mark, Watsonians finally managed to make use of play close to their try line. A break from full back Andrew Lamb got the ball into the hands of Jason Baggott who cruised over the line. Dom Coetzer secured the extras.

After multiple phases close to the line for the Wolves, space was found in the Watsonians defence by Ryan Southern who was in for this secondx. Marcus Holden’s kick was good, bringing the first half to a close.

HALF-TIME: Stirling Wolves 19 – 7 Watsonians

Watsonians came back out from the changing rooms all guns blazing and stand off Dom Coetzer slipped past the Wolves defence and dotted down under the posts. He converted his own bringing the visitors just five points behind.

The Wolves responded shortly after when a break from Eric Davey got the team up just shy of the posts. He offloaded to Craig Jackson who almost let it go loose, but gathered just in time to ground over the line. Marcus Holden made the conversion.

Straight from the scrum the ball was passed to Wolves Number 8 Ed Hasdell who collapsed over the line. The kick was good for Marcus Holden.

Watsonians added another five points when Dom Coetzer put his foot on the gas to beat his opponent to the corner and dived over. He converted his own try from out wide.

A play straight off the training pitch saw a break from Ryan Southern offloaded to Ross McKnight on the wing and into the hands of Kyle Mcghie who had space in front to dart over the line. Euan Cunningham made the extras.

A collective forwards effort saw a series of pick and goes close to the line and Watsonians’ Kwagga van Niekerk collapse over the line finalising the score at Bridgehaugh.

FULL-TIME: Stirling Wolves 40 – 26 Watsonians

Referee: Ruairidh Campbell
FOSROC Player of the Match: Ryan Southern (Stirling Wolves)
Stirling Wolves: TRY
Ryan Southern (2), Ruaridh Knott, Craig Jackson, Ed Hasdell, Kyle Mcghie CON Marcus Holden (4), Euan Cunningham
Watsonians: TRY Jason Baggott, Dom Coetzer (2), Kwagga van Niekerk CON Dom Coetzer (3)

Saturday 18 May: Ayrshire Bulls v Southern Knights
Kick off 3pm

The Bulls were off to a flying start when stand-off Richie Simpson put his foot on the gas and sprinted over the line. Simpson converted his own try.

The next Bulls score came just after the 15 minute mark when a successful line out formed into a classic charging Bulls maul, and Alex McGuire was over. Richie Simpson added the extras.

It took 17 minutes for the Knights to get their first points on the scoreboard, when prop Jack Dobie got himself over the whitewash. Callum Grieve converted.

Rocketman Richie was back as he burst through the Knights defence to dot down for his second five-pointer. Simpson converted his own try.

Just before the break a sprinting effort from Jamie Shedden saw him add another score for good measure. Simpsons’ boot was the gift that just kept on giving and he added the extras.

HALF-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls 28 – 7 Southern Knights

It didn’t take much time at all for the Bulls to kick off the scoring for the second half when Blair Macpherson got his hands on the ball and battled past defenders to ground over the line. Simpson yet again added the extras.

Great hands from Richie Simpson let the ball get into Jamie Shedden who was over for his second and the Bulls’ sixth.

The second try for the Knights came within the 54th minute when Allan Ferrie got his hands on the ball to pass the white wash. Callum Grieve converted.

The next came for the Knights from wing Finn Douglas who raced to dot down over the line.

The Bulls responded shortly after when some quick feet from Marcus Kershaw and a nice pass out to Bobby Beattie let the centre have his go at scoring. David McCartney added the extras.

With only a couple minutes to go, Bulls’ hooker James Malcolm added another to his team roster, and David McCartney converted, finalising the score.

FULL-TIME: Ayrshire Bulls  54 – 19 Southern Knights

Referee: Michael Todd
FOSROC Player of the Match: Richie Simpson (Ayrshire Bulls)
Ayrshire Bulls: TRY
Richie Simpson (2), Alex McGuire, Jamie Shedden (2), Blair Macpherson, Bobbie Beattie, James Malcolm CON Richie Simpson (5), David McCartney (2)
Southern Knights: TRY Jack Dobie, Allan Ferrie, Finn Douglas CON Callum Grieve (2)

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners