Silver Saturday 2022 | Match Reports

Silver Saturday 2022 | Match Reports

Silver Saturday returned to BT Murrayfield with three enthralling games showcasing some of the best grassroots rugby. The all women's finals day saw titles for the National Bowl, National Plate and Sarah Beaney Cup contested for, for the first time since 2019. All three matches can be watched back on the Scottish Rugby website.

National Bowl: Greenock Wanderers v Cartha Claymores

With the sun gleaming across the international pitch of BT Murrayfield, it was a west of Scotland head-to-head to kick-off ‘Silver Saturday’ as Greenock Wanderers took on Cartha Queen’s Park in the Women’s National Bowl Final.

And Cartha took the honours in an evenly contested and highly entertaining match by 29 points to 24.

The opening 10 minutes saw frantic early exchanges between the two sides as they each tried to make their time with ball in hand count. Whilst Greenock came as close as five metres from the try line, Cartha’s defence did not yield, and they were eventually able to push play back to the midfield with a fantastic kick from fly-half Hannah Welshman.

Having only just come onto the pitch replacing centre Emily Sweeney, Ellie Sutherland made an immediate impact for the Claymores, with a run through the middle of the Wanderers’ defensive line, to sail beneath the sticks for the first try of the match. Full-back, Caitlin Bell converted easily [0-7].

Within minutes the Claymores added to their tally as winger and eventual Player of the Match Victoria Halstvedt powered her way down the right flank to score under the posts. Bell’s close-range conversion added the extras [0-14].

After 25 minutes, Greenock grew into the game and responded with their first score of the match. Winning a penalty some 10-metres from the Claymores’ try line, captain Beverley Addison opted for a tap and go and the forward pack propelled play ahead before the ball made its way to the backline for winger Nicole De Angelo to cross the whitewash. A difficult kick for Tina Hemphill was unsuccessful, the score remained at 5-14.

An entertaining closing 15 minutes of the first half ebbed and flowed with neither side able to capitalise.

Half-time: Greenock Wanderers 5 Cartha Claymores 14

Greenock started the second half strongly with good ball retention finally enabling a lovely delayed pass by fly-half Beverley Addison for full-back Katie Purves to break into the Cartha 22 and evade the defence to score after three minutes. The conversion by prop Tina Hemphill was successful to bring Greenock back to within two points 12-14 on 44 minutes.

Cartha nearly struck back on 50 minutes with a smooth backline move off a scrum which saw full-back Caitlin Bell bundled into touch five metres out.

From the lineout the Claymores retained possession and recycled multiple times in the face of good Greenock defence to draw a penalty five metres out.

From the tap penalty Cartha again pushed for their third try and it eventually came out wide after a sweeping move saw wing Halstvedt score her second of the day in the corner.

Bell was just short with the conversion to keep the score 12-19 on 53 minutes.

On the hour a break from Greenock scrum-half Hannah Mutton from a tap penalty beat seven defenders to take their attack into the Claymore’s 22. From a resulting scrum Greenock number 8 Lesley Cadenhead broke from the base and powered over to score.

A missed conversion from Hemphill kept the scores tight at 17-19 as the game entered the final quarter.

Cartha took the initiative and scored from the restart to again keep their noses in front. A sustained attack in the Greenock 22 finally saw Sutherland dive over for her second try of the day. A missed conversion meant the scores were 17-24.

The pendulum swung back to Greenock who immediately threatened again with slick handling among the backs to get back into the Cartha 22 and create another score, touched down by centre Caitlyn Haldane.

Erin Marner couldn’t add the extras, so Cartha retained their narrow lead 22-24 with 10 minutes remaining.

Cartha kept possession better in the last 10 minutes and scored the decisive try with three minutes remaining through fly-half Welshman. Bell could not convert.

After a final play Cartha were able to control possession and hoofed the ball into touch to claim the first silverware of the day.

Final Score: Greenock Wanderers 22 – Cartha Claymores 29

Player of the Match – Victoria Halstvedt, Cartha Claymores.


Cartha Queen’s Park 2XV:

15. Caitlin Bell; 14. Victoria Halsvedt; 13. Rachel Shankland; 12. Ellie Hancock; 11. Samantha Cockburn; 10. Hannah Welshman; 9. Alice Rigamonti; 8. Izzy Desoindre; 7. Katie Gray; 6. Lynsay Taylor (Capt); 5. Samantha Donnelly; 4. Jessica Enright; 3. Erin Gilmour; 2. Gilbert Walker; 1. Asha Prasad

Replacements: 16. Ann McNeill; 17. Gwen Stewart; 18. Alex Tolfrey; 19. Alex Waterson; 20. Ellie Sutherland; 21. Zoe Johnston; 22. Grainne Camplisson

Greenock Wanderers RFC:

15. Katie Purves; 14. Hannah Shankster; 13. Emily Sweeney; 12. Caitlyn Haldane; 11. Nicole de Angelo; 10. Beverley Addison (Capt); 9. Hannah Mutton; 8. Lesley Cadenhead; 7. Rhonwyn Spence; 6. Kirsty Brown; 5. Clare Nicholson; 4. Stacy Donaldson; 3. Emily Gray; 2. Anne Thomson; 1. Tina Hemphill

Replacements: 16. MT Crumlish; 17. Chloe Woods; 18. Erin Marner; 19. Kirsty McWilliam; 20. Michelle Lyle; 21. Melissa Hutcheson; 22. Nicole Boffrey

National Plate: Ayr v Biggar

Biggar out-scored Ayr six tries to four to win the Women’s Plate Final at BT Murrayfield today in the second match of Silver Saturday.

Biggar full-back Geraldine Kimm scored a rapid-fire hat-trick of tries in the opening quarter which gave the South Lanarkshire side a foundation which their west coast opponents couldn’t overcome.

To their credit Ayr ended the game strongly, scoring the last three tries and arguably playing their best rugby of the match for the final one, but never held the lead and Biggar’s rush defence and sharp finishing proved the difference.

Biggar kick put Ayr under early pressure with long clearing kick but then lost winger Anna Forsyth to injury after just three minutes with Farah Conn joining the game from the bench.

After winning a subsequent penatly Biggar kicked to the corner and from first phase attack off the lineout some neat hands from the backs put full-back Geraldine Kimm in to score after just four minutes. The conversion was missed, 0-5.

Biggar dominated in the opening minutes putting Ayr under pressure and drawing another penalty in their 22 which was kicked dead, giving Ayr a rare chance to get a foothold in the game from the resulting lineout.

Emma Orr though quickly used the next phase of possession to open up the Ayr defence on 15 minutes following a delay for an injury to Ayr centre, Robynn Gibson.

Orr lofted a delicately weighted kick into the Ayr 22 and Geraldine Kimm was on hand again to scoop up a loose ball to score. Emma Orr converted for a 0-12 lead.

From the restart Kimm dramatically secured her hat-trick with a blistering run down the wing outstrip the defence and score under the posts on 17 minutes. Emma Orr converted for a 19-0 lead.

A penalty for a high tackle on 20 minutes, which Emma Orr kicked into the 22, maintained Biggar’s pressure on an Ayr side which couldn’t build any possession or territory in the opening quarter. Ayr lost a turnover penalty on their own 22 metre line which allowed Orr to line up shot at goal, which went wide.

From the subsequent drop out Ayr conceded another penalty, which Orr used to secure a lineout seven metres out from the Ayr line. The defence though secured possession and cleared.

Ayr scored their first points on the half-hour mark as hooker Shelley Main finished off a spell of possession from a scrum in the Biggar 22. The conversion was charged down to make the score Ayr 5 – Biggar 19.

Biggar immediately threatened from the restart and won a penalty which again gave them an attacking lineout in the Ayr 22. But an untidy lineout resulted in a penalty for Ayr who were able to clear.

Biggar though ended the half in control with some fluent handling giving centre Emelia Knights the chance to run in to score their fourth try of the first 40. Emma Orr converted for a 26-5 lead which Biggar protected with some stout defence.

Half-time Ayr 5 – Biggar 26

Biggar picked up where they left off as Emma Orr scored off a quick-tap penalty in the Ayr 22, but couldn’t convert with the kick. 5-31 on 46 minutes.

Biggar struck again 10 minutes later as again the accuracy of their backs saw them sweep into to the Ayr half and following some forays to the line Kirsty Ritchie dotted down for the sixth try. Orr couldn’t convert so the scores were 5-36 on 55 minutes.

On the hour a succession of penalties marched Ayr into the Biggar 22 and their improved handling created space out wide for wing Alice Wilson to score. The conversion was unsuccessful making the score 10-36 on 60 minutes.

Ayr stayed in the match and from a penalty inside the Biggar 22 they recycled several phases and scored through centre Hannah Young. Captain Catherine Shennan converted to close the scores to 17-36 with 10 minutes remaining.

Ayr then finished with a flourish going through double-figure phases in the Biggar 22 before Robynn Gibson scored out wide with the clock beyond 80-minutes.

Final score Ayr 22 – Biggar 36

Player of the Match – Geraldine Kimm, Biggar



15. Gemma McIvor; 14. Alice Wilson; 13. Hannah Young; 12. Robynn Gibson; 11. Emma Struthers; 10. Catherine Shennan (Capt); 9. Lauren McBride; 8. Louise Downie; 7. Erin McSorley; 6. Morgan Murrie; 5. Joanne Jones; 4. Nicole Duffy; 3. Louise MacLauchlan; 2. Shelley Main; 1. Laura Turner

Replacements: 16. Lindsay Dick; 17. Jade McDowall; 18. Lisa Jayne Croniken; 19. Kelly Grindrod; 20. Beth Aiken; 21. Hazel MacMillan 22. Lauren Finnie


15. Geraldine Kimm; 14. Anna Forsyth; 13. Emelia Knights; 12. Abbie Baillie (Capt); 11. Emily Inglis; 10. Emma Orr; 9. Rebecca Clarke; 8. Verity Kennet; 7. Alison Orr; 6. Rebecca Coffey; 5. Alison Russell; 4. Laura Watson; 3. Megan MacIver; 2. Alyson Henderson; 1. Robyn Struthers

Replacements: 16. Cristina Ertze; 17. Megan McCarry; 18. Jennifer Bell; 19. Kirsty Ritchie; 20. Bria Boyd; 21. Victoria Haddow; 22. Farah Conn

Sarah Beaney Cup: Watsonian FC v Hillhead Jordanhill

Hillhead Jordanhill reclaimed the Sarah Beaney Cup in a physical encounter against Watsonian FC in the final game of Silver Saturday.

Hills got the score board ticking within the opening three minutes of the game after being awarded a penalty whilst flanker Louise McMillan was in attack. Full-back Amanda Jane stepped up to the tee for Hills and her kick sailed through the posts with ease [0-3].

Watsonians shortly followed with their first and only points of the game. A penalty kick to touch by inside centre Briar McNamara gave the Edinburgh side a lineout some 10 meters from Hills’ try line. Watsonian’s were able to retain the ball and after a few phases Hills were penalised for a high tackle. Opting for a tap and go, Watsonian’s utilised their forward pack to propel them towards the try line before taking play blind to winger Bryony Nelson to dot the ball across the line. Whilst McNamara’s conversion attempt was just short, Watsonians took the lead 5-3 at 12 minutes.

The remaining exchanges of the first half saw possession of the ball swap regularly between the two sides, with either able to capitalise in attack, showcasing the strength and skill in their defensive efforts.

Hills had an opportunity to retake the lead in the final minute of the first half with a penalty kick to the posts but scrum-half Mairi McDonald’s kick was just wide and the score was settled at 5-3.

Half-time: Watsonians 5 Hillhead Jordanhill 3

It took 25 minutes before the scoreboard would change as the contest between the two sides was simply so tight, further testament to the player’s work in defence to stop the other from claiming any points.

However, as the clock approached the final 15 minutes of the game, a collapsed scrum by Watsonian’s on the half-way line opened up things up for Hillhead to enter their opposition’s 22 with penalty kick to touch for the line out.

Winning the ball in the air, Hills secured it in the maul and began driving their way towards the try line. After utilising the forwards to gain additional ground, the ball was sent wide to the backline before finding Amanda Jane, who dotted the ball across the line. Jane went on to convert her try, and the lead changed hands in favour of Hillhead [5-10].

With just three minutes remaining, it looked as though Watsonian’s would at least draw the score after they were awarded a penalty for a high tackle deep in Hills’ 22. Skipper, Alice King was quick to react with a tap and go, charging her way down the pitch, finding herself just meters away from the try line before she was taken down by a swarm of defenders. Whilst scrum-half Rachel Law was able to see the ball safely away from the ruck, an over stretched pass from her outside player was gathered by Hills’ Lucy Mills, who was able to place the ball backwards into Penelope Saverton, who was able to take Hills comfortably out of the danger zone.

After a final play Hillhead were able to keep hold of the ball before Mairi McDonald sent the ball into the stands to conclude the match and reclaim the Sarah Beaney Cup title.

In her final match for Hillhead Jordanhill, Louise McMillan was named player of the match.

Final score: Watsonian FC 5 Hillhead Jordanhill 10

Player of the Match – Louise McMillan, Hillhead Jordanhill


Hillhead Jordanhill:

15. Amanda Jane; 14. Karen Bennett; 13. Lucy Mills; 12. Evie Wills; 11. Brogan Carberry; 10. Carla McDonald; 9. Mairi McDonald; 8. Debbie Lee (Capt); 7. Louise McMillan; 6. Hannah Telling (Vice-Capt); 5. Juliet Ross; 4. Kate Yeomans; 3. Aimee Johnston; 2. Stella Kyalikunda; 1. Philippa Abernethy (Vice-Capt)

Replacements: 16. Heather Lockhart; 17. Rochan Millar; 18. Samantha Beal; 19. Frances Campbell; 20. Marie-Ann Wales; 21. Penelope Saverton; 22. Emma Barlow

Watsonian FC:

15. Julie Lyons; 14. Bryony Nelson; 13. Susie Clements; 12. Briar McNamara; 11. Francesca McGhie; 10. Claire Bain; 9. Rachel Law; 8. Alice King (Capt); 7. Charlotte Runcie; 6. Freya Walker; 5. Sarah Jones; 4. Nicola Brown; 3. Caitlin Abernethy; 2. Kaeli King; 1. Ailie Tucker

Replacements: 16. Sarah Kearly; 17. Jaimee Relph; 18. Rowann; 19. Laura Louise Wilkie; 20. Hannah Davisson; 21. Mary Nelson; 22. Isla Craigie

Message from Scottish Rugby Vice-President, Colin Rigby

“I want to share my sincere thanks for all the hard work and dedication that ensured a successful return to Silver Saturday here at BT Murrayfield this afternoon and evening.

“The two-year hiatus caused by covid meant there was always going to be extra significance when, at last, Silver Saturday was back on the schedule.

“Today, of course, was different. With clubs having decided to focus on completing the league programme in the men’s game, today has given a welcome spotlight to the women’s game.

“All the clubs participating today have been involved in the pinnacle of Scottish club knockout rugby before, whether with their women’s team or men’s team, and the very tangible pride as players run out on to the international pitch at BT Murrayfield, gladdens the heart.

“Opportunities to promote the women’s game – especially in a year where the Scotland Women team have qualified for the Rugby World Cup for the first time in 12 years – are rightfully seized by Scottish Rugby.

“To have more than 100 women’s players, not to mention match officials, battling it out for silverware on the international pitch – watched by the crowd in the stand and thousands more on the Scottish Rugby website – brings our commitment to inclusion and diversity in our game to glorious life.

“And, over the next few months, as we launch our dedicated women and girls’ strategy, we will provide more detail around how we will increase investment and bolster structures to enhance the women’s game.

“I congratulate all the players from Greenock Wanderers, Cartha Claymores, Ayr, Biggar, Hillhead-Jordanhill and Watsonians for the rousing rugby they provided for us today.”

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners