Silver Saturday 2023 | Match Reports

Silver Saturday 2023 | Match Reports

Catch up on the action and results from across the day at BT Murrayfield and DAM Health Stadium.



Stewartry withstood a spirited East Kilbride comeback to triumph in the Men’s Shield at BT Murrayfield.

The first game of Silver Saturday may have entailed a 10am start, but that didn’t deter a healthy crowd from noisily backing their sides from the off.

Stewartry were swiftly into their groove and scored a delightful opening try. Stand-off David Armstrong, who displayed lovely vision throughout proceedings, looped round his own pass to TK McCarney, finding John Picken who in turn fed Fraser Forsyth for the opening try of Silver Saturday. [0-5, 5 mins].

The Castle Douglas side were determined to build on that fast start and after a series of close calls, scored a sublime second after quarter-of-an-hour. Armstong fed Picken who, about to be bundled into touch, had the presence of mind to flip the ball back inside to the alert winger Forsyth, who crossed for his brace. [0-10, 15 mins].

East Kilbride were sparked into life after an excellent clearance from full-back Rory Blackwood was fumbled into touch by Stewartry. Inspired by the territorial gain, East Kilbride hauled themselves back into it and how. A chip by Blackwood was judged perfectly for Evan Martin to gather and fall over the line. [5-10, 30 mins].

The response from Stewartry was instant, Armstrong once more creating the space for his outside backs, with wing Michael Yates going over in the corner. Picken’s conversion was good [5-17, 33 mins].

East Kilbride’s Blackwood took advantage of an offside call to land a good penalty to narrow the gap [8-17, 36 mins].


East Kilbride needed to show intent after the break and did just that, an excellent Lucas Aitken break giving early impetus. They couldn’t capitalise when five metres out, however, and Stewartry made them pay when Yates finished from distance for his second try [8-22, 49 mins].

Scrum-half Matthew Smith sniped his way over to offer hope to East Kilbride, with Blackwood’s conversion further cutting into Stewartry’s lead [15-22, 54 mins].

With both sides having expended so much energy in the first hour of play, the game became open if a little scrappy, but it was East Kilbride who were territorially prominent as they tried to force the issue. A yellow card for intentional offside for Stewartry’s Thomas McLean with seven minutes left offered more hope and both sets of supporters reacted to one another in a bid to push their sides to the finish line.

But it was Stewartry who held firm to secure the first silverware of the day to the delight of their Castle Douglas support.


Stewartry: 15. John Picken CAPTAIN 14. Michael Yates 13. Robert Austin 12. TJ McCarney 11. Fraser Forsyth 10. David Armstrong 9. Archie Nicholson 1. Michael McCulloch 2. Kieran McGuire 3. Iain McMorran 4. David Maxwell 5. Rory Porteous 6. Jason Forsyth 7. Steven McCulloch 8. Angus Lindsay

Replacements: 16. Ashley Matias (for Porteous, 77 mins) 17. Steven Hogg (on for McCulloch, 26 mins) 18. Thomas McLean (for McCulloch, 55 mins) 23. Fergus Barne (for McGuire, 71 mins) 20. Chris Root (for Maxwell, 62 mins) 21. Scott Milligan (for Yates, 77 mins) 22. Andrew Picken

East Kilbride: 15. Rory Blackwood 14. Grant Dryburgh 13. Lucas Aitken 12. Scott Shankie 11. Evan Martin 10. Richard Murray 9. Matthew Smith 1. Robbie Jaap 2. Evan Middleton CAPTAIN 3. Christopher McLellan 4. Gareth Jones 5. James Galbraith 6. Chris O’Neill 7. David McGiven 8. Gary Thornton (re-introduced for Jaap, 66 mins)

Replacements: 16. Alex Irvine (for Middleton, 77 mins) 17. Sean Robinson (for Jones, 77 mins) 18. Matthew Fletcher 19. (for McLellan, 77 mins) Roraigh Hughes (for Thornton, 49 mins) 20. Mark Ellison (for Smith, 62 mins) 21. Robbie Greenfield (for Blackwood, 72 mins) 22. Euan Stirling (for Dryburgh, 72 mins).

Yellow cards: Thomas McLean (Stewartry, 73 mins).

Player of the Match: David Armstrong (Stewartry)



Click here to watch match highlights.

Hillhead Jordanhill were comfortable winners in the National Bowl Final at DAM Health Stadium as they defeated Perthshire in the first final at Edinburgh’s stadium on Silver Saturday.

Hillhead opened the scoring inside a minute. Francesca Wood made an initial break in midfield, and the ball was worked out to the right to Hazel Mulligan who ran through. Millie Warren slotted the conversion.

A second score came in the 4th minute. Perthshire were making advancements in their opponent’s half, but the ball was lost and Chloe Drew broke through the scramble defence. She then rounded the full back and sprinted under the posts to complete a fantastic 80-metre solo effort.

It was 21-0 in the 8th minute, as some good offloading from the Glasgow side saw Lou Brett get the ball in space on the left and run in under the posts.

Perthshire then pulled a score back in the 12th minute. After the forwards punched through in the middle of the park, it was Catherine Lambie who rounded her opposite winger to score on the right.

Hillhead threatened to grab a fourth, and the Perthshire defence held out under barrage on several occasions, but eventually the line was breached again. This time it was Megan Milligan who stepped round the defender close to the line and scored.

A fifth for Hillhead came in the 27th minute. A kick through from Perthshire almost worked for Katie Whelan, but Beth Tobin reacted fastest and showed her pace to run it in from 40 metres.

Lou Brett then got her second try of the day in the 31st minute. On the counter attack after Perthshire kicked clear, the full back stepped left of the defence and sprinted down the touchline.

Rowan Davidson was next to cross for Hillhead, finishing off a free-flowing team move to score just left of the posts.

And Beth Tobin raced down the left to score her second of the game with two minutes left in the half.

And she grabbed her hat-trick with the last play of the half, racing clear from her own half down the right to score under the posts.


Hillhead continued the scoring in the second half, as Hazel Mulligan’s footwork got her under the posts in the 44th minute for her second score.

And Lou Brett completed her hat-trick in the 49th minute after a wonderful offload from Amy Spiers.

Less than two minutes later Beth Tobin grabbed her fourth, racing clear and putting the ball down under the sticks.

Brett then scored her fourth in the 56th minute after finding the space on the right.

Perthshire worked a second score on the hour mark, as Sarah Blackwood broke free in midfield and Emily Tait finished it off in the right corner.

But Hillhead replied in the 64th minute as Inaya Haque crossed in the left corner.

And Haque got her second in the 69th minute, gathering a loose ball on the right and running round to score beside the uprights.

And Francesca Wood rounded off the scoring with the last play after Megan Milligan’s break up the left.


Hillhead Jordanhill 2XV: Hazel Mulligan (2), Chloe Drew, Lou Brett (4), Beth Tobin (4), Rowan Davidson, Inaya Haque (2), Francesca Wood

Perthshire: Catherine Lambie, Emily Tait

Hillhead Jordanhill 2XV: Millie Warren (9), Lou Brett

Player of the Match: Lou Brett (Hillhead Jordanhill 2XV)

Hillhead Jordanhill 2XV: 15. Lou Brett 14. Amy Spiers 13. Beth Tobin 12. Hazel Mulligan 11. Alison McNeill 10. Millie Warren 9. Chloe Drew 1. Francesca Wood 2. Emily Evans 3. Mary Dillon 4. Georgie McInroy 5. Kendall King CAPTAIN 6. Rowan Davidson 7. Andrea Gaffney 8. Megan Milligan

Replacements: 16. Emily Mather 17. Vasiliki Stravropoulou 18. Abigail Isaacs 19. Katie Coyne 20. Inaya Haque 21. Hannah Paton 22. Lizzie Willis

Perthshire: 15. Eilidh Paterson 14. Catherine Lambie 13. Jacqueline McConville 12. Heather Kirkman 11. Katie Whelan 10. Alexandra Ward CAPTAIN 9. Paula Watson 1. Suzanne Rennie 19. Gillian Kidd 3. Fiona Gordon 4. Claire Rae 5. Katie Bromley 6. Zoe Fummey 7. Sarah Blackwood 8. Heather McKenzie

Replacements: 2. Beverly McNab 17. Emily Tait 18. Kirsty Binnie 20. Lynn Robertson 21. Anna Davies 22. Lynne Stewart 23. Rebekah Hunter

Referee: Madeleine Bullen AR1: Victoria Lindsay AR2: Mhairi Deed



West of Scotland battled to victory over Cartha Claymores as conditions proved ever-challenging at BT Murrayfield in the first staging of the Women’s National Shield Final.

West of Scotland thought they had the game’s first try a matter of minutes in, but Alex Watson was forced into a knock-on when grounding through some smart Cartha scrambled defence.

It appeared to be the story of the opening quarter of this inaugural Women’s National Shield final; West consistently knocking on the Cartha try-line but to no immediate avail.

A touchline break by Cartha’s Rachel Shankland offered some respite for Claymores, but West were always in the ascendency, with winger Eilidh Power the next to go within touching distance, 20 minutes in.

The breakthrough finally did come for West and it was a well-worked try, the ball calmly put through numerous sets of hands before wing Rowan Todd dotted down in the corner [5-0, 24 mins].

And the Burnbrae outfit notched a second try on the half hour mark when centre Emily Irving rumbled over from close range after being put in by a deft pass from Alexa Smith, who added a conversion for good measure [12-0, 31 mins].

Cartha rallied with their first sustained period of pressure, first Victoria Halstvedt threatening on the right wing before they trucked up on the left, eventually going over through Lynsey Torrance, with Caitlin Bell’s conversion attempt just coming up short [12-5, 37 mins].


Cartha were quickest out of the blocks after the interval, as the rain teemed down, seemingly camped for the duration on the West line without quite getting the job done. West were giving away plenty of penalties for infringements around the breakdown, though, and lost Amber Johnston to a yellow card – she was the unfortunate recipient of a sin-binning but it cold have gone to any number of others. Their defence was eventually breached when Amy Donachy, not long on the pitch, pierced through for the easiest of finishes, conversion from Louise Smith tying things as the hour approached [12-12, 57 mins].

West were not for submitting, though, and patiently took their time to gain field position for an attack that would prove clinching. And it was fitting that No 8 Alex Watson, who failed to ground in the first few minutes, who grabbed the try to re-take the lead. Smith’s second conversion restored the lead back to seven points [19-12, 72 mins].

Cartha went within metres of the line as the clock entered its 80th minute but were bundled into touch and so it was West of Scotland who celebrated at the final whistle, as the new Women’s National Shield winners.


Player of the Match: Alex Watson (West of Scotland)

Yellow card: Amber Johnston (West of Scotland, 51 mins)

Cartha Claymores: 15. Caitlin Bell 14. Victoria Halstvedt 13. Ellie Hancock 12. Rachel Shankland 11. Melissa Wilson 10. Samantha Cockburn 9. Alice Rigamonti 1. Lynsey Torrance 2. Gilbert Walker 3. Carolyn Baker-Hughes 4. Jess Enright 5. Rosie Mathieson 6. Katie Gray CAPTAIN 7. Kirsty Brown 8. Izzy Desoindre

Replacements: 16. Olivia Devlin (for Walker, 76 mins) 17. Louise Smith (on for Mathieson, 35 mins) 18. Ellie Cronin (for Mathieson, 70 mins) 19. Joanna Duker (for Gray, 58 mins) 20. Amy Donaghy (for Shankland, 44 mins) 21. Hannah Welshman (for Wilson, 67 mins) 22. Niamh McCreadie (for Bell, 52 mins).

West of Scotland: 15. Amber Johnston 14. Eilidh Power 13. Jade Scott 12. Emily Irving CO-CAPTAIN 11. Rowan Todd 10. Alexa Smith 9. Katie Wilson 1. Amy McHenry 2. Rachel Morrison 3. Natasha Burge 4. Louise Wilson 5. Ciera Campbell 6. Amanda Paterson CO-CAPTAIN 7. Fiona Gassner 8. Alex Watson

Replacements: 16. Pamela Duffy 17. Ashley Blair 18. Rosie Broadhurst (for McHenry, 67 mins) 19. Laura Grant 20. Hannah Foster-Rain (for Paterson, 51 mins) 21. Caitlin Reilly (for Wilson, 74 mins) 22. Rachael Millar

Ref: Allana McClean AR 1: Niamh Hay AR 2: Sophie Tougher-Mitchell No.4: Liz Gilchrist



Click here to watch match highlights.

An entertaining men’s bowl final – which featured 15 tries and a red-card into the bargain – was won by the Caledonia North Division 3 champions Kinloss Eagles at the Dam Health this afternoon.

Eagles, some eight players short of their first XV because of military duties, loved an offload and played with joie de vivre that was infectious.

But Panmure, from Caledonia Midlands League 2, were not without their moments and scored some lovely tries.

Kinloss made a sprightly start with Pita Moku – a deserved player of the match who crossed for five tries in total – released up the left wing.

That attack came to nothing but moments later Kinloss swept right and full-back, Isikeli Railoa blazed in for the opening try.  Lewis Green converted [0-7, 3 mins].

It looked from the outset as if we were in for a contest, as intelligent support running from Chris Cruickshank and Ethan Snitch, set up a super reply for Marcus Van Der Esch, a famous name in Tayside rugby circles as his dad, JJ, propped for Dundee High. [5-7, 7 mins].

Green added a penalty (5-10, 10 mins) but could not convert another sweeping attack which was rounded off in style by Tyla Turner – simply the best (!) – as Kinloss extended their lead [5-15, 12 mins].

The ebb and flow continued with Snitch pulling back three points from his first penalty [8-15, 14 mins].

Snitch miscued from the kicking tee as the game entered the second quarter and, almost at once, Kinloss returned to the attack and from the promptings of Meli Narawa, always a threat at scrum-half, they retained possession for the livewire Railoa to dot down his second try [8-20, 25 mins].

More South Sea islands flair followed as the exuberant Moku sped clear – ball in one hand – for Kinloss’s fourth try.  One half of the lively crowd at the Dam Health loved it! Green landed the conversion [8-27, 27 mins].

As half-time neared, Kinloss again made numbers count against a tiring Panmure defence and it was that man Moku, turning on the after-burners for his second try, Green again converting [8-34, 35 mins].

Panmure though showed no little skill themselves, once again inter-changing sumptuously on the right, for winger Chris Cruickshank to display balance and power in a fine finish. Snitch converted [15-34, 38 mins].


Within minutes of the restart Moku had claimed his try hat-trick, gathering a speculative kick and having the strength to power on in the tackle. Green converted [15-41, 42 min].

Kinloss lock Josaia Vuetimacuata was red carded on the 50th minute for a high tackle and there was a lull in scoring until Gordon Melville surged over from close range for Panmure’s third try [20-41, 58 mins].

From the restart, a fumble by Panmure enabled Moku to stroll in for his fourth try, which Railoa converted [20-48, 60 mins].

Colin Jeffrey rumbled over for Panmure’s fourth try – Snitch converted – and with 15 minutes remaining, you sensed the next score could yet make matters interesting. [27-48, 64 mins].

But any thoughts of a fightback were dispelled as Waisea Qase embellished a Kinloss counter-attack for Vilive Koroibanuve to convert [27-55, 72 mins].

There was time enough for Moku to cross for his fifth try and Qase his second, the former converted by Koroibanuve, the latter by Narawa [27-69, 75 mins].

The final word went to Panmure with Thomas Jarron crashing over [32-69, 79 mins].


Player of the Match: Pita Moku (Kinloss Eagles)

Panmure: Jamie Faulkner; Chris Cruickshank, Fraser Binnie, Marcus Van Der Esch, Angus Lindsay ; Ethan Snitch, Andrew Barclay; John Walsh, Blair Yule, Andrew Lindsay, Jonathan Pattullo captain, Gordon Melville, Andrew Philp, Thomas Jarron and Cameron Davidson.

Replacements: Kevin Franco, David Nicholson, Fraser Husband, Joe Leather, Mathew Boyce, Colin Jeffrey, Liam Tares.

Kinloss Eagles: Isikeli Railoa; Tyla Turner, Vilive Koroibanuve, Ruveni Vatuloka, Pita Moku; Lewis Green, Meli Narawa; James Illingworth, Ronan Walker, Greig Marr, Dan Woodward captain, Josaia Vuetimacuata, Ratu Bosekoviti, Steve Laidlaw and Joe McLean.

Replacements: Lewis Davis, Calvert Gilpin, Keith Esson, Samuel Thompson, Paula Rokocua, Waisea Qase, Aminiasi Taletawa.

Referee: Craig Clark AR1: Neil Muir AR2: Digby Thomas



Click here to watch match highlights.

Grangemouth defeated Oban Lorne 31-22 in a fantastic enbounter at DAM Health Stadium that could have gone either way and was fiercely contested throughout.

Both sides had opportunities in the early exchanges, but it was Grangemouth who were first to take one in the 11th minute. The ball was worked from the left back to the centre, and Amy Coyle found a gap. She stepped inside the full back and charged under the posts. [0-7, 11 mins]

Oban then levelled the scores in the 18th minute, thanks to a fantastic individual score from Kirsty Sinclair. The centre capitalised on a turnover in possession, running through the scramble defence and dotting down just left of the posts. [7-7, 18 mins]

And Oban took the lead in the 25th minute. After a loose ball was collected five metres out, it was on the left that space was found and Rebecca Sims wrestled her way over. [12-7, 25 mins]

A third for Oban came three minutes later. It was another long run from an electric centre, but this time it was Poppy McKillop who sprinted over on the left side from the halfway line. [17-7, 28 mins]

Another long distance stunner was scored in the 32nd minute, this time for Grangemouth. An excellent line in the middle of the pitch from Rachael Cook got her through the defence, and she showed great footwork to round the full back and score under the sticks. [17-14, 32 mins]


Grangemouth went back in front in the 44th minute, as replacement Sarah McCormack showed great strength to get over the line from close range. [17-19, 44 mins]

Oban then had much of the possession, and after nearly 20 minutes of frustration for them they went ahead again. A penalty was taken quickly and Julie Campbell was too strong for the defence, scoring just to the right of the posts. [22-19, 64 mins]

A gripping contest then swung in Grangemouth’s favour once more. Amy Coyle found space in midfield and sprinted under the posts for her second try of the game. [22-26, 71 mins]

And Grangemouth wrapped up the scoring with the final play, as Zubie Chaston crossed from close range in the left corner.


Player of the Match: Rachael Cook (Grangemouth)

Oban Lorne: 15. Rachel Macdonald 14. Drew Buckley 13. Poppy McKillop 12. Kirsty Sinclair CAPTAIN 11. Mia Leng 10. Selina Keppie 9 Amber Rose Love 1. Julie Campbell 2. Caitlin Fowler 3. Ellie MacNiven 4. Grace Maclean 5. Ruth Neville 6. Jordan MacIntyre 7. Veronica Speirs 8. Rebecca Sims

Replacements: 16 Isla Macgillivray 17 Elaine Mitchell 18 Lindsay Macmillan 19 Fiona Cunningham 20 Lucy Stewart 21 Audrey Barr 22 Katie Hamilton

Grangemouth: 15. Elizabeth Severs 14. Susan Ferguson Ward 13. Heather Innes CAPTAIN 12. Del Sutherland 11. Amy Coyle 10. Lauren Prentice 21. Jen McCusker 1. Adele Stirrat 2. Emily Russell 3. Hazel Robertson 4. Paige Isdale 5. Rachael Cook 6. Jen Cram 7. Jessica Purcell 8. Nicole Barlow

Replacements: 16. Zubie Chaston 17. Penny Vougiouklaki 18. Number retired in memory of Eilidh McNab 19. Shannon McLean 24. Sarah McCormack 9. Kirsty Morgan 22. Cheryl Summers 23. Laura Dempsey

Ref: Yvonne Tunnicliff AR 1: Gillian Frew AR 2: Jess Butler No.4: Lee Anne Steel



In a one-point thriller at BT Murrayfield, Watsonians emerged victorious in the Sarah Beaney Cup final against Corstorphine Cougars.

It was a quick start for Cougars as they scored in the first 90 seconds of the game.

With stand-off Tanya Griffith kicking off, the ball landed neatly inside Watsonians 22, and a fortunate bounce allowed winger Rheon Laurenson to gather and retain the ball for the women in blue and red quarters.

A couple of quick phases of recycled ball quickly saw the winger back in play and crashing over the line for five points. It was a difficult kick for vice-captain Kiyomi Honjigawa and unfortunately it just fell short. [0-5, 2 mins]

Just a couple of minutes later Cougars had extended their lead. A penalty conceded by Watsonians for being off their feet in the ruck some 10 meters from their try line set Cougars up perfectly to attack.

After a quick tap and go, a few phases of hard carries from the forward pack saw second row, Adelle Ferrie, power over the line for the try. Another tricky conversion for Honjigawa went unconverted. [0-10, 5 mins]

But Watsonians weren’t far behind with their first try. Retaining the ball at a line out in their own half, a couple of phases with the forward pack carrying set Susie Clement up to engage her back line. Captain Briar McNamara ran a fantastic line, breaking through two defenders before sending a miss pass into the hands of winger Mary Nelson, who sped down the pitch to score under the posts. McNamara added the extras, and it was now a three point game. [7-10, 23 mins]

After a few minutes of back and forth possession, it was time for a scrum in Cougars favour, but solid work from Watsonians pack saw them win penalty allowing them to take a chance to kick to touch for a line out inside Cougars 22.

With the line out functioning well for Watsonians, they began working through their moves to stretch Cougars across the field. After a few cycles of forward ball, the backs were once again released, with McNamara showcasing her strength in midfield, finding space to crash over the whitewash. The captain was unlucky to miss the conversion. [12-10, 29 mins]

Shortly after the restart it was time for another line out with Cougars awarded a penalty in Watsonians half. Stand-off Tanya Griffith punted the ball into the 5 meter channel giving Cougars an advantageous position. Despite winning their ball, Watsonians hooker Kaeli King worked hard in defence to steel the ball back stole, but Watsonians were penalised at the ruck, giving Cougars a chance for three. This time Honjigawa was firing, and her kick sailed across the sticks, taking her team back into the lead. [12-13, 32 mins]

The final eight minutes of the match saw Watsonians defend their try line well as Cougars tried to push in to extend their lead at half time, but after 40 minutes just one point separated the sides.


Watsonians were first back on the board in the second half as Fran McGhie lit up BT Murrayfield with her electric speed. At 45 minutes, Watsonians had a scrum deep inside their own half, which the pack managed to secure. Stand-off Susie Clements entered space before releasing to McGhie who skirted round the defence from Watsonians own 15-meter line to run her try in under the sticks. McNamara converted and Watsonians were now back in the lead. [19-13, 45 mins]

And just 10 minutes later McGhie was back in action. Another well executed line out from Watsonians saw their captain McNamara break through the defence to take them comfortably inside Cougars 22. Some more great partnership work between Clements and McGhie saw the Scotland international easily find space and dart over the try line to extend their lead. McNamara added the extras once more [26-13, 56 mins].

After some back and forth action, Cougars found themselves paced nicely deep inside Watsonians 22, but a penalty at the scrum saw Watsonians given possession to reset play. Looking for a quick and sharp exit, McNamara sent the ball into Cougars territory. The ball exited with a nice bounce which was expertly gathered by Griffith, who stormed her way down the blind side to cross over the line in the corner. It was another difficult conversion for Honjigawa, which went unanswered [26-18, 61 mins].

Watsonians Karis Craig was shown a yellow card by referee Chelsea Gillespie at 66 minutes, which meant Watsonians would be down for nearly the remainder of the game, giving Cougars extra incentive and opportunity to strike.

Sustained pressure from Cougars inside Watsonians 22 saw them in try scoring position. With a penalty awarded in their favour, Cougars opted to tap and go with Griffith taking play blind, with the forward pack driving forward and gaining ground.

Honjigawa was next to try for the line, but she was just short, but a tight line run by flanker Luise Lauter saw another five points added to Cougars tally. Honjigawa successfully converted to take the score to a one point difference with four minutes left on the clock [26-25, 76 mins].

There was a knock on at the restart which saw the two packs scrum down on the Cougars 15-meter line. From the scrum, Watsonians continued to test Cougar’s defence as they searched for another try, but Cougars knocked on the ball trying to intercept and Watsonians were awarded a penalty scrum with one minute on the clock.

Holding onto the ball, Watsonians then send the ball into touch to reclaim the Sarah Beaney Cup.


Player of the Match: Briar McNamara (Watsonians)

Yellow card: Karis Craig (Watsonians)

Watsonians: 15. Julie Lyons 14. Mary Nelson 13. Francesca McGhie 12. Briar McNamara CAPTAIN 11. Charlotte Runcie 10. Susie Clements 9. Rachel Law 1. Ailie Tucker 2. Kaeli King 3. Caitlin Abernethy 4. Anna Swan 5. Sarah Donnelly 6. Freya Walker 7. Grace Laverty 8. Sophie Anderson

Replacements: 16. Sarah Kearley 17. Molly Poolman 18. Jenny Menday 19. Karis Craig 20. Claire Bain 21. Annabel Hughes 22. Shannon Macey

Cougars: 15. Kiyomi Honjigawa 14. Lorna Young 13. Ailsa Clark 12. Sula Callender  11. Rheo Laurenson 10. Tanya Griffith 9. Zoe Turner 1. Emma Dunbar  2. Lucy Park 3. Kaylee Fraser 4. Lucy Kidd 5. Adelle Ferrie 6. Luise Lauter 7. Alex Stewart 8. Emma Turner CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Louise Green 17. Merryn Gunderson 18. Lily Glendinning 19. Pip Benson 20. Lauryn McGrotty 21. Emily Mullen 22. Rebecca Bestwick

Ref: Chelsea Gillespie AR 1: Beatriz Casares Fernandez AR 2: Kaylee McKervail No.4: Lu Fornes Burnell



Hawick came from behind at half-time to win the Scottish Cup at BT Murrayfield and complete a famous league and cup double, beating Marr 34-31.

Marr had much of the opening territory, and were rewarded in the 10th minute with a penalty on the 22 just right of the posts. Colin Sturgeon stepped up to take a shot at goal, and slotted the kick for the first points of the evening. [3-0, 10 mins]

Sturgeon then took another shot at goal in the 17th minute, this time from in front of the posts just over 40 metres out. Again the fly-half’s kick was good and Marr were six in front. [6-0, 17 mins]

Marr were using the boot to good effect to gain territory, but Hawick were staying in the contest with strong carries up front. However, handling at key moments and issues at the lineout were preventing them from getting on the scoreboard.

A scrum penalty in the 36th minute gave Hawick the chance for points. Kirk Ford opted to go for goal, and, sticking it over from just inside the 22 on the right side of the posts. [6-3, 36 mins]


Hawick grabbed an opportunistic first try of the contest in the 44th minute. A loose ball from a kick fell to Ronan McKean on the left, and he nudged the ball through and won the race to dive on the ball. [6-10, 44 mins]

And Hawick had another try in the 48th minute. Marr’s clearance kick was charged down by Jae Linton and Fraser Renwick pounced on the ball, and rounded the last defender before scoring under the posts. [6-17, 48 mins]

The borders side further extended their lead in the 55th minute through another Kirk Ford penalty. The full back hoofed the ball through for three points from just outside the 22 in line with the left upright. [6-20, 55 mins]

And the men in green had a third try in the 62nd minute. The forwards got Hawick close to the line, and it was eventually finished off in the right corner by Kirk Ford. [6-25, 62 mins]

But Marr were soon back in the contest through Conor Bickerstaff, who was put through a gap by Colin Sturgeon and fought his way to the line. [13-25, 66 mins]

A penalty to Hawick just three minutes later was converted by Kirk Ford from over 40 metres out on the right side. [13-28, 69 mins]

Hawick took full control of the contest in the second half, and a penalty for offside around 30 metres out on the right side gave Kirk Ford the opportunity to further grow their lead, which he took. [13-31, 73 mins]

Ford missed a penalty attempt with the final kick of the game, but it didn’t matter as the Premiership champions sealed the double.


Player of the Match: Jae Linton (Hawick)

Hawick: 15. Kirk Ford 14. Charlie Welsh 13. Ethan Reilly 12. Andrew Mitchell 11. Ronan McKean 10. Kyle Brunton 9. Gareth Welsh 1. Shawn Muir CO-CAPTAIN 2. Fraser Renwick 3. Nick Little 4. Dalton Redpath 5. Shaun Fairbairn 6. Stuart Graham 7. Calum Renwick 8. Jae Linton

Replacements: 16. Matt Carryer CO-CAPTAIN 17. Ruaridh MacLeod 18. Hugh Donaldson 19. Charlie Welsh 20. Deaglan Lightfoot 21. Grant Huggan 22. Marcus Brogan

Marr: 15. Calum Inglis 14. Jake Jacobson 13. Gregor Paxton 12. Conor Bickerstaff CO-CAPTAIN 11. Scott Bickerstaff 10. Colin Sturgeon CO-CAPTAIN 9. Grant Baird 1. Gordon Reid 3 .Andrew Acton 4. David Andrew 5. Harry Murray  6. Fraser Grant 7. Cameron Young 8. Ben Johnston

Replacements: 16. Blair Nicholl 17. Craig Miller 18. Angus Johnston 19. Murray Blair 20. Nairn Calder 21. Jack Scott 22. Gregor Beckwith

Ref: David Young AR 1: Fergus Hollins AR 2: Grant Denholm

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners