Konkel to make 50th Scotland appearance against England
Scotland Women Head Coach Bryan Easson today named his side to face England in this Saturday’s opening 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations fixture at the DAM Health Stadium (Saturday 26 March, kick-off 12 noon) – live on BBC Two.
Jade Konkel is poised to make her 50th appearance for Scotland, having made her debut nine years ago against this weekend’s opponents after coming off the bench in the opening 2013 Six Nations match.
Easson has named a settled team for this weekend’s opening match, with 14 of the starting line-up retaining their place from Scotland’s last match against Colombia in February.
An unchanged front-row sees hooker Lana Skeldon pack down alongside Leah Bartlett and Christine Belisle, while Emma Wassell links up with Louise McMillan again in the second-row.
Number 8 Konkel anchors a formidable back-row with captain Rachel Malcolm and Rachel McLachlan.
Vice-captain Helen Nelson moves back to fly-half to form a half-back partnership with Jenny Maxwell, while Hannah Smith returns to the starting line-up to partner Lisa Thomson in the midfield.
A settled back-three sees Chloe Rollie continue at full-back, with Megan Gaffney and Rhona Lloyd again lining up on the wing.
Meryl Smith could make her international debut on Saturday if called upon from the bench, while Sarah Bonar is unavailable due to this weekend’s RAF inter-services competition with the Royal Navy, Army and RAF.
Easson said: “Reaching 50 caps for your country is a significant milestone for any player and I’m delighted to see Jade reach that honour this weekend.
“Jade is an exceptional player who has an excellent work-rate and always wears the thistle with immense pride anytime she steps on to the pitch and I’m excited to see her perform at the weekend.
“We are looking for a concerted effort of consistency in our performance this weekend and making sure we play for the full 80 minutes.
“We are aware of the challenge that England will pose on Saturday so it’s hugely important we stick to our systems and processes, while also keeping a good discipline throughout the match.”
Get along and support the Scotland team in their 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations opening fixture against England in the capital this Saturday. Adult tickets are £15, Under-18 tickets at £5 and U12s can attend for just £1 with a paying adult ticket. Tickets are available online only up until kick-off. Secure your tickets now here.
Scotland Women side to face England in the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations at the DAM Health Stadium, Edinburgh (kick-off 12 noon) – live on BBC Two
15. Chloe Rollie (Exeter Chiefs) – 45 caps
14. Rhona Lloyd (Les Lioness du Stade Bordelaise) – 33 caps
13. Hannah Smith (Watsonians) – 30 caps
12. Lisa Thomson (Sale Sharks) – 40 caps
11. Megan Gaffney (Loughborough Lightning) – 39 caps
10. Helen Nelson VICE CAPTAIN (Loughborough Lightning) – 37 caps
9. Jenny Maxwell (Loughborough Lightning) – 36 caps
1. Leah Bartlett (Loughborough Lightning) – 12 caps
2. Lana Skeldon (Worcester Warriors) – 48 caps
3. Christine Belisle (Loughborough Lightning) – 12 caps
4. Emma Wassell (Loughborough Lightning) – 52 caps
5. Louise McMillan (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 31 caps
6. Rachel Malcolm CAPTAIN (Loughborough Lightning) – 24 caps
7. Rachel McLachlan (Sale Sharks) – 24 caps
8. Jade Konkel (Harlequins) – 49 caps
16. Molly Wright (Sale Sharks) – 10 caps
17. Lisa Cockburn (Worcester Warriors) – 23 caps
18. Katie Dougan (Gloucester Hartpury) – 15 caps
19. Lyndsay O’Donnell (Worcester Warriors) – 15 caps
20. Eva Donaldson (Edinburgh University) – 1 cap
21. Sarah Law (Sale Sharks) – 48 caps
22. Meryl Smith (Edinburgh University) – uncapped
23. Shona Campbell (Edinburgh University) – 2 caps