Scotland U20 team named for England opener
Scotland U20 Head Coach Kenny Murray has named his side to face England in the opening round of the Under-20 Six Nations at DAM Health Stadium (Friday 4 February, kick-off 8pm) – live on BBC iPlayer.
Rhys Tait (Boroughmuir Bears) will captain Scotland for the first time from openside flanker as the age-grade side return to play in Scotland for the first time since February 2020.
There are 11 players named in the team who have previous Scotland U20 experience from their time in Cardiff last summer.
Half of the match-day squad are supported by the FOSROC Scottish Rugby Academy with nine players who train full-time with Edinburgh Rugby or Glasgow Warriors.
Tait will be joined in the back row by Matt Deehan (Newcastle Falcons) who will make his first appearance in the squad at blindside flanker and Exeter University’s Ollie Leatherbarrow at No 8 who featured in all five of Scotland’s games last year.
Edinburgh Rugby’s Patrick Harrison will start at hooker and will pack down alongside Tom Bantavala (Durham University) and Currie Chieftains Gregor Scougall who returns from injury to take his place in the squad and is set to make his first Scotland U20 appearance.
The imposing figure of Max Williamson (Stirling County and Glasgow Warriors) will return to the squad in the second-row and will be joined by Josh Taylor from Ealing Trailfinders.
Behind the scrum Jed Gelderbloom (Edinburgh Rugby) starts at scrum-half and will partner Ayrshire Bulls, and Glasgow Warriors, Christian Townsend at stand-off.
It’s an all Boroughmuir Bears mid-field as Mike Gray starts at inside-centre and Duncan Munn at outside him. Ross McKnight (Stirling County and Glasgow Warriors) and Ollie Melville (Newcastle University) line up on the wings, with Montpellier’s Robin Mc Clintock starting at full-back.
Ahead of the opening fixture of the Under-20 Six Nations. Head Coach Kenny Murray said: “The team are in a really good place after working hard over the last few months.
“I’m really happy with the squad we’ve been able to select, 11 players have played in an international match of this level before, so they know what to expect.
“It will be a really special night at the DAM Health Stadium on Friday as this group of players get to experience representing their country for the first time on home soil since all 2021 Under-20 Six Nations fixtures were held in Cardiff.
“A large crowd is expected so it should be a great atmosphere to open our campaign with.”
Scotland U20 team to face England on Friday 4 February at DAM Health Stadium, Edinburgh (kick-off 8pm, BBC iPlayer)
15. Robin Mc Clintock (Montpellier) (0)
14. Ross McKnight* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors) (2)
13. Duncan Munn** (Boroughmuir Bears) (0)
12. Michael Gray* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors) (4)
11. Ollie Melville (Newcastle University) (4)
10. Christian Townsend* (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors) (5)
9. Jed Gelderbloom (Edinburgh Rugby) (0)
1. Tom Banatvala (Durham University) (2)
2. Patrick Harrison* (Edinburgh Rugby) (4)
3. Gregor Scougall** (Currie Chieftains) (0)
4. Josh Taylor (Ealing Trailfinders) (0)
5. Max Williamson* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors) (5)
6. Matthew Deehan (Newcastle Falcons) (0)
8. Ollie Leatherbarrow (Exeter University) (5)
7. Rhys Tait* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors) (5) CAPTAIN
16. Gregor Hiddleston (GHA) (0)
17. Michael Jones* (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby) (5)
18. Callum Norrie** (Strathallan School) (0)
19. Jake Spurway (Durham University) (0)
20. Olujare Oguntibeju (Ealing Trailfinders) (0)
21. Tim Brown (Glasgow Hawks) (0)
22. Euan Cunningham* (Stirling County / Glasgow Warriors) (3)
23. Ben Evans* (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby) (0)
*FOSROC Scottish Rugby Contracted Academy Player
**FOSROC Scottish Rugby Regional Academy Player
(N) donates previous Scotland U20 appearances