Three debuts as Murray names squad for Summer Series opener
Head Coach Kenny Murray has named his Scotland U20 side to face Wales U20 in their first Under-20 Summer Series game in Italy tomorrow (kick off 4pm BST).
Flanker Rhys Tait continues as captain, having led the side in the recent 2022 Under-20 Six Nations.
Ali Rogers packs down at loosehead alongside hooker Gregor Hiddleston and tighthead Callum Norrie.
Josh Taylor and Max Williamson, who started together in Scotland’s last Under-20 Six Nations game against Ireland, will continue in the second row.
Captain Tait is joined by debutant Liam McConnell, who recently captained Scotland U18 at their Six Nations Festival, at blindside flanker and Ollie Leatherbarrow at number 8.
In the backs, Murray Redpath and Christian Townsend will continue to build on their partnership from the start of the year at scrum-half and fly-half respectively.
For a fifth consecutive game, Andrew Stirrat and Duncan Munn will start at inside and outside centre.
In the back three, there are two debutants as Ryan Daley is selected at left wing, and Kerr Johnston is chosen on the right. Keiran Clark joins them at full back.
From the bench, Iain Carmichael, Ben Afshar, Gabe Jones and Euan Groenewald could all make their debuts.
There are 26 players in the matchday squad because of the condensed nature of the tournament. All 11 substitutes are available to be used during the course of the match.
On the squad, Murray said: “We have settled in well in Italy and preparations for this game have been great.
“A large number of the players have just been involved in the FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series and got good game time, which is excellent for us.
“Liam, Kerr and Ryan have been excellent since they have joined up with our group, and they thoroughly deserve to make their debuts this weekend.
“There is a good mix of fresh faces and experience, and having Andy and Duncan starting their fifth game in a row together at centre will give us a sense of familiarity.
“Our game against Wales in the Six Nations was close, we were right in it until near the end so we hope to be competitive again and this time go that step further.
The game will be streamed live on the Scottish Rugby website.
Scotland U20 team to play Wales U20
15. Keiran Clark (Southern Knights)
14. Kerr Johnston (Gala RFC)
13. Duncan Munn (Boroughmuir Bears)
12. Andy Stirrat (Ayrshire Bulls)
11. Ryan Daley (Watsonians RFC)
10. Christian Townsend (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors)
9. Murray Redpath (Southern Knights/Newcastle University)
1. Ali Rogers (Ayrshire Bulls)
2. Gregor Hiddleston (Stirling County)
3. Callum Norrie (Stirling County/Strathallan School)
4. Josh Taylor (Ealing Trailfinders)
5. Max Williamson (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
6. Liam McConnell (Boroughmuir Bears)
8. Ollie Leatherbarrow (Exeter Chiefs)
7. Rhys Tait CAPTAIN (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors)
16. Patrick Harrison (Watsonians RFC/Edinburgh Rugby)
17. Iain Carmichael (Boroughmuir Bears)
18. Gregor Scougall (Watsonians RFC)
19. Jake Spurway (Stirling County/Durham University)
20. Tim Brown (Ayrshire Bulls)
21. Ben Afshar (Southern Knights)
22. Euan Cunningham (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
23. Gabe Jones (Brunel University/Ealing Trailfinders)
24. Matthew Deehan (Newcastle Falcons)
25. Euan Groenewald (University of Pretoria (TUKS))
26. Ben Salmon (Stirling County)