Broughton 12 – 8 Duns

Broughton 12 – 8 Duns

Broughton Captain Dan Arrandale kicked all of his side’s points in their 12-8 win over Duns on Saturday to all but guarantee East Division 1 rugby at Wardie next season.The Borders outfit scored the only try of a game played in fantastic spirit and marshalled well by Alex Pratt, Scotland’s most senior Female Referee.With Broughton going into the game with back-to-back league victories and a strong performance last week in the Bowl against National League 1 side Preston Lodge, there was an air of confidence around Wardie for a welcoming change ahead of this rearranged fixture.With the Duns bus not making it out of their car park due to flat trye, the visitors were late in arriving at Wardie and it looked as is if they had left their game-heads back in the Borders Town as the opening 10 minutes were almost exclusively played in their half.Broughton pressure finally resulted in a penalty being awarded by the female official, a Kilted Kiwi who was a mainstay in the Scotland Women’s set-up last year, as the Duns backs were pinged for being too eager to close down another Broughton attack.  Arrandale’s kick was good and the early advantage went to the home side.  3-0.The windy conditions were never conducive for a stunning game of fast flowing rugby and a raft of knock-ons, stray passes and woeful line-outs gave the game a very much ‘end of season’ feel to it however both sides endeavoured to try their best to put on a show for the hardy souls on the sidelines.Arrandale, playing in his new position of Stand-off following the introduction of Birthday Boy Canadian Rob Ashwood at Scrum-half, doubled the home side’s lead at the end of the opening quarter with another finely executed penalty kick as the tourists became frustrated by not being able to get their hands on the ball.  6-0It was a hat-trick of successful kicks from Arrandale in the 37th minute following another Duns flouting of the offside law and with Broughton going in at half-time 9-0 ahead with a 2nd half of playing uphill into a stiff breeze to look forward to, the match was anyone’s at the interval.Duns had clearly not learned their lesson in terms of ‘give away a penalty within kicking distance and Arrandale will punish you’ as they decided to lie all over the ball whilst trying to slow down a Broughton move in the 6 minute and that man Dan obliged by splitting the uprights.  12-0.This seemed to wake up the Duns team and with a handful of big strong runners in their side, it was no surprise that should they draw in the Broughton defence and get an overlap situation on the go, then they would ultimately punish the home side.Therefore it was no surprise that the opening, and frustratingly for the Duns touchline, only try of the day was scored by their winger in the 49th minute.  Whilst Broughton will host the Scottish Touch Rugby Tournament in the summer, this was not the place to practice by allowing the flying machine to run up the wing with consummate ease with only the lightest of touches being placed on him!  12-5.The nerves of the Broughton faithful on the sidelines were stretched further in the 55th minute when Duns were offered another lifeline with a soft penalty 22 metres out when the forwards failed to roll away from a ruck bang in front of the uprights.  The kick was good and with 25 minutes on the clock the score stood at a squeeky-bum 12-8.However, the Broughton defence stood firm and failed to be bullied despite some tough and brutal tackles coming in from the Duns outfit who do not befit their mid-table league position.Bombhead almost sneaked in to the corner for a score late-on but it wasn’t to be and when the final whistle was sounded, a cheer of relief rather than exultation could be heard around Wardie.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners