Club Child Protection Officers
Each Club is required to have a Club Child Protection Officer (CPO) appointed and confirmed to their Regional Manager as part of the Club Sustainability Award. Details should also be confirmed on the SCRUMS data management system.
Clubs should notify any changes in their CPO details by emailing [email protected].
The CPO role is an important one and should cover the following broad areas:
- Work with other member of the club to ensure that children enjoy a welcoming, safe, friendly and helpful environment
- Ensure the club has a Child Protection / Safeguarding Policy that is available on the club website, available on request and understands the principles in the policy
- CPO name and contact details are visible in the clubhouse, on the club website and that they are visible and approachable at the club (within reasonable parameters).
- Complete Child Protection and Safeguarding Training within 6 months of their appointment.
- CPO must be Members of the PVG Scheme.
- CPO to manage the PVG Memberships within the club. Any person carrying out REGULATED WORK must have a PVG number which should be notified against the Youth Coach listed in SCRUMS. (details of the PVG process follow below)
- CPO should keep a record of all PVG numbers.
- Take responsibility for dealing with concerns, contacting the relevant people to take forward – either through Scottish Rugby Child Protection team, NSPCC/Children 1st or Police Scotland if required.