Dramatic U20 1872 Cup ends in draw

Dramatic U20 1872 Cup ends in draw

A dramatic junior intercity derby ended in honours even as Glasgow Warriors U20 scored at the death to snatch a 28-28 draw against Edinburgh Rugby U20 at DAM Health Stadium.

Glasgow put together the first free-flowing move of the match, and when stand-off Richie Simpson broke free the ball was fed back inside to Finlay Burgess, who was stopped just short.

The ball was recycled back quickly however and back-row Adam Flynn powered over from close range.

Glasgow soon doubled their advantage and this time it came following sustained pressure on the Edinburgh try line. With the forward pack inching towards the whitewash, loosehead prop Ali Rogers was the man who broke free to bruise his way over.

Edinburgh hit back almost immediately however and worked the ball into Warriors’ territory thanks to a series of penalties. After securing good lineout ball inside the Glasgow 22, the ball broke to hooker Corey Tait who did excellently to propel himself over the whitewash.

Stand-off Harris Rutherford showcased his kicking ability with a well-angled conversion that brought the hosts within seven.

Glasgow’s had impressed with a physical edge in the opening stages but it was a dazzling backline move which brought about their third try of the evening only minutes before half-time. With the Edinburgh backline drifting wide, outside centre Duncan Munn showcased a shimmy and step to glide through a number of would-be tacklers before sliding over for a spectacular solo score.

Half time: Edinburgh Rugby U20 7-21 Glasgow Warriors U20

Edinburgh shot out of the blocks to start the second-half and looked to be in for a well-worked score when Rutherford angled a cross-field kick to replacement right winger Noah Henry – who rose above his opposite man only to be brought down in the air illegally.

The hosts crossed the whitewash to close the gap with the score arriving from the resulting penalty which Rutherford angled in the corner. The pack secured clean ball at the tail of the lineout, and a clinical drive saw Tait touch down for his second try of the evening.

After kicking a penalty into Warriors’ territory, scrappy lineout ball was picked up by Blyth Lafferty who made hard yards into the Glasgow 22m. With numbers lining up wide, replacement scrum-half Brodie Young threw a dummy before sniping under the sticks for the levelling score.

Edinburgh were exuding confidence and soon the capital side had the go-ahead score to complete the comeback. With another penalty nudged into the Warriors 22m, a strong lineout drive saw the ball eventually recycled to replacement front-rower Craig Davidson who powered over for the all-important score.

This match had proved dramatic from the start however, and when Glasgow edged into Edinburgh territory with only minutes remaining, it was set up for a grandstand finish.

With Warriors peppering the Edinburgh try line, the ball was eventually whipped wide to replacement Aminio Bogidrau who crashed over from only metres out.

Glasgow’s Andy McLean has nervy job of converting to level it at the death, but the full-back made sure of it to grab a draw for his side.

Full time: Edinburgh Rugby U20 28-28 Glasgow Warriors U20

Edinburgh Rugby U20

Tries: Tait (2), Young, Davidson
Conversions: Rutherford (2), Townsend (2)

Glasgow Warriors U20

Tries: Flynn, Rogers, Munn, Bogidrau
Conversions: Simpson (3), McLean

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign-up for our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Scottish Rugby.


Principal Partners