Scotland U20 team named for French contest
Head Coach Kenny Murray has made three changes to his starting side to face France in the third instalment of the 2023 Under-20 Six Nations. The team will face their French counterparts on Friday evening at Stade Armandie, Agen (kick-off 8pm GMT) – live on BBC iPlayer.
The forward pack remains mostly unchanged with Craig Davidson (Watsonian FC) returning to loosehead prop after his impressive first Scotland U20 start against Wales. Corey Tait’s (Boroughmuir Bears) consistent performance over the first two games of the competition has earned him the hooker position once again, this time joined by Moby Ogunlaja (Glasgow Hawks) who will make his first start in the 2023 Under-20 Six Nations at tighthead. Ogunlaja replaces Callum Norrie (Stirling Wolves and Glasgow Warriors) whose injury from the Wales game makes him unavailable to play in Agen.
It’s an unchanged second-row as Jake Parkinson (Ealing Trailfinders and Brunel University) and Ruaraidh Hart (Glasgow Hawks) partner up again to complete the boiler room.
Co-Captain Liam McConnell (Boroughmuir Bears and Edinburgh Rugby) will once again lead his team as blindside flanker alongside Rudi Brown (Southern Knights and Edinburgh Rugby), who has scored three of the five tries made during the 2023 campaign, on the openside. Jonny Morris (GHA RFC) returns to the Number 8 position after a week out to complete the back three.
Finlay Burgess (Stirling Wolves and Glasgow Warriors) will make his first 2023 Under-20 Six Nations start at scrum-half, replacing Ben Afshar (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors) whose injury from the Wales clash leaves him unable to play. Richie Simpson (Ayrshire Bulls) will fulfil the half-back pairing by donning the stand-off jersey for the third time in a row this competition.
The backs remain completely unchanged with the only slight difference being William Robinson (Caldy RFC) and Ben Evans (Heriot’s Rugby and Edinburgh Rugby) will take charge of opposite wings from the last game. Co-Captain Duncan Munn (Boroughmuir Bears and Glasgow Warriors) retains his number 13 jersey alongside Kerr Yule (Glasgow Hawks) at the centre positions, with Dan King (Heriot’s Rugby) completing the starting fifteen at full-back.
Head Coach Kenny Murray said: “The team produced a commendable performance at Scotstoun a couple of weekends ago, especially in the kind of weather they faced.
“Everyone took great confidence from the victory at home, but we must back it up in France.
“France pose an intense and highly physical game, something we must also do if we want another win this week.”
Scotland U20 team to face France on Friday 24 February at Stade Armandie, Agen (kick-off 8pm GMT – live on BBC iPlayer)
15. Dan King** (Heriot’s Rugby)
14. Ben Evans* (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
13. Duncan Munn* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors) (CC)
12. Kerr Yule** (Glasgow Hawks)
11. William Robinson (Caldy RFC)
10. Richie Simpson (Ayrshire Bulls)
9. Finlay Burgess* (Stirling Wolves/Glasgow Warriors)
1. Craig Davidson (Watsonian FC)
2. Corey Tait** (Boroughmuir Bears)
3. Moby Ogunlaja (Glasgow Hawks)
4. Jake Parkinson (Ealing Trailfinders/Brunel University)
5. Ruaraidh Hart** (Glasgow Hawks)
6. Liam McConnell* (Boroughmuir Bears/Edinburgh Rugby) (CC)
7. Rudi Brown* (Southern Knights/Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Jonny Morris** (GHA RFC)
16. Jerry Blyth-Lafferty** (Boroughmuir Bears)
17. Max Surry (Cardiff Met University)
18. Robbie Deans* (Watsonian FC/Edinburgh Rugby)
19. Eddie Erskine (Bath Rugby)
20. Johnny Rutherford** (Currie Chieftains)
21. Ewan Guy (Cardiff Met University)
22. Charlie Clare (Harlequins/Surrey University)
23. Geordie Gwynn (Ealing Trailfinders/Brunel University)
*FOSROC Scottish Rugby Contracted Academy Player
**FOSROC Scottish Rugby Regional Academy Player