Scotland U20 team named to play Spain
Head Coach Kenny Murray has named his Scotland U20 team to face Spain U20 in Zamora this Saturday (kick-off 8pm local time, 7pm BST). The game will be played in preparation of the World Rugby U20 Trophy that takes place in Nairobi, Kenya next month.
The World Rugby U20 Trophy runs from 15-30 July and features eight teams. Scotland have been drawn in Pool A, where they will compete against Uruguay, USA and Zimbabwe to earn a place in the final. Pool B contains Hong Kong, Kenya, Samoa and this weekend’s competition Spain.
A familiar forward pack to the 2023 Under-20 Six Nations campaign will start the match including Craig Davidson and Callum Norrie at the prop positions, with Corey Tait joining them at hooker. Eddie Erskine and Jake Parkinson will team up to complete the boiler room. Jonny Smith will pack down at the base of the scrum, flanked by co-captain Liam McConnell and Jonny Morris.
In the backs, Ayrshire Bulls teammates Ben Afshar (who will also co-captain the side) and Richie Simpson fulfil the half-back partnership.
Geordie Gwynn and Finn Douglas take charge of the wings with Kerr Yule and Ben Salmon in the centre positions. Dan King completes the first XV at fullback.
The replacements contain ten players including Jerry Blyth-Lafferty, Robbie Deans, Oliver Minnis, Ruaraidh Hart, Sam Derrick, Finn Burgess, Fin Thomson, Andrew Mclean, Andrew Mclean, Finn Duraj, Max Surry and Kerr Johnston.
Head Coach Kenny Murray said: “The team are looking forward to getting this run out in Spain before we head to Kenya at the start of next month.
“Not only does this match allow the boys to get back playing together again, but we all (including management) can get back into the right mindset for playing these high-level, high-intensity games – a mindset that we will need if we want to be successful at the World Rugby U20 Trophy in July.”
The match will be available to stream live here.
Scotland U20 team to face Spain U20 at the Ruta de la Plata Stadium, Zamora on Saturday 24 June (kick off 8pm local time, 7pm BST)
15. Dan King (Heriot’s Rugby)
14. Finn Douglas (Southern Knights/Edinburgh Rugby)
13. Ben Salmon (Stirling Wolves/Glasgow Warriors)
12. Kerr Yule (Ayrshire Bulls)
11. Geordie Gwynn (Ealing Trailfinders)
10. Richie Simpson (Ayrshire Bulls)
9. Ben Afshar (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors) CO-CAPTAIN
1. Craig Davidson (Watsonians)
2. Corey Tait (Boroughmuir Bears)
3. Callum Norrie (Stirling Wolves/Glasgow Warriors)
4. Eddie Erskine (Bath Rugby/Bath University)
5. Jake Parkinson (Ealing Trailfinders)
6. Liam McConnell (Boroughmuir Bears/Edinburgh Rugby) CO-CAPTAIN
7. Jonny Morris (Watsonians)
8. Jonny Smith (Harlequins)
16. Jerry Blyth-Lafferty (Boroughmuir Bears)
17. Robbie Deans (Watsonians/Edinburgh Rugby)
18. Oliver Minnis (Hartpury University)
19. Ruaraidh Hart (Stirling Wolves)
20. Sam Derrick (Southern Knights)
21. Finn Burgess (Stirling Wolves/Glasgow Warriors)
22. Fin Thomson (Watsonians)
23. Andrew Mclean (Boroughmuir Bears)
24. Finn Duraj (Watsonians)
25. Max Surry (Cardiff Met University)
26. Kerr Johnston (Boroughmuir Bears)